Open bite correction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jeffhere

Open bite correction

#1 Post by jeffhere » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Hey folks,
My name is Jeff. I'm 23 years old, and I have been suffering with a anterior open bite for quite a number of years now. I first obtained an orthodontic consultation at the age of (17?). Of course at this point in time, I had pictures taken, xrays, etc. My open bite was much worse at this point. Only my very two back molars were touching at this time, and I had impacted wisdom teeth. Since then, my wisdom teeth were extracted, and my bite has closed seemingly on its own from (likely 5mm or more? to 2mm or less.)

I have seen five different orthodontists for consultations. The first orthodontist I have seen, was recommended by my dentist. Six years ago he recommended surgery (when my bite was worse than it is now,) and today he continues to recommend surgery. No other orthodontist, of the five i have seen, have recommended I have surgery. One (1) of the other orthodontists recommended mild speech therapy.

Permanency of the bite correction is my primary concern. Second to this is monetary cost. I would have had braces put on much sooner, but I cannot seem to decide what is the best course of action. On the one hand, I would like to go with the surgical route because this open bite bothers me to such a large extent, and I would never want a recurrence. On the other hand, if I can have a reasonably permanent closure of the bite without surgery, this would save me much pain and money.

I am hoping that you folks can provide me some wisdom on what might be the best course of action. Again, I am puzzled by the fact that this one orthodontist is so sure I should have surgery, despite four others not recommending it. Cheers.

mmkay

Re: Open bite correction

#2 Post by mmkay » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:43 am

What surgical movements does that orthodontist think is necessary?

There's plenty of threads about this subject, here's a recent one:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=50877