Wearing a nance(?) and not able to enjoy food

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CranberryJuice

Wearing a nance(?) and not able to enjoy food

#1 Post by CranberryJuice »

Hi Everyone,

So yesterday I came in for my second tightening. Last month was my first time wearing braces. When I came in yesterday I was in for a rude surprise. I did know that the spacers I had for over a month was used as a placeholder to put the molar bands in and expected only the bands, maybe a few more brackets and a tightening. No, that didn't happen. They put something on the roof of my mouth, after research, it looks like a nance (when I asked the practitioner questions as to why I need the appliance and what it's called. They got sassy and called it an 'ossi' or something).

I see evidence that speech will only be affected for a few days, and there is some drooling/overproduction of saliva (foaming of the mouth, I call it). What I want to know is about the eating. I don't have any pain from my tightening but when I tried to eat it's been extremely awkward and therefore hard for me to eat since there is a plastic piece resting on the roof of my mouth. I also almost feel like I'll choke on my food. The metal that loops U from the nance also gets in the way of my tongue (more on the right hand side than the left of my mouth) which means my tongue is feeling a little irritated, especially when eating.

I want to know is there a way around eating and living my life as normal with this thing in my mouth or will I have to suffer for the remaining time of my treatment as I struggle to eat food and/or choke on my food?

smashingceramicdodos

Re: Wearing a nance(?) and not able to enjoy food

#2 Post by smashingceramicdodos »

Hi CranberryJuice,
I was told I might need to get a block(?) built up behind my top arch to stop me damaging my teeth as the braces move my bite. It sounds uncomfortable!
I'll let you know if I get any more info at my next appointment - I'll make sure to ask if there's any way to reduce it's annoyance. Let me know if you find workarounds in the meantime - I guess I'll need them soon enough! Hope it has improved for you :)

friendlyturtle

#3 Post by friendlyturtle »

I have a nance holding my last molars back. The first few weeks were the most troublesome, I had no idea how to deal with this bubble of acryllic on the roof of my mouth, it felt massive! Eventually I just started trying to eat normally, and fast forward three months I barely even notice it! The only time I am reminded of the appliance is when I move my tongue to the roof of my mouth. Suprisingly, not a lot of food gets stuck up there.

Hang in there, it only gets better! :)

passport

#4 Post by passport »

I had one of those when I was in high school. It felt bizarre but I almost got used to it. Despite my diligence in brushing my teeth, it was incredibly stinky when the took it off some time later. If I had known, I would have used some kind of mouthwash or something to get under the plastic and keep it cleaner.