My 1st tightening

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedGem

My 1st tightening

#1 Post by BracedGem »

I go to see my ortho the first friday of every month which is much sooner than the average person. Today was my first adjustment and i was upgraded to a steel wire on the bottom. The top still has a fairly light wire but I think a little stronger than before. They added a bracket to my left upper 2nd molar. It really sticks out. I am totally fine and feel no pain. Here's to praying that my annoying front tooth straightens in the following weeks. I just can't wait for the gapast to be closed and this over jet and overbite to be gone...

autumnpath

Re: My 1st tightening

#2 Post by autumnpath »

I haven't had my first adjustment yet. It's interesting to read other people's experience! :jump:

BracedGem

#3 Post by BracedGem »

Autumnpath, when's your 1st tightening. It's always exciting waiting to see your improvement and any new changes

Braces47

#4 Post by Braces47 »

My first adjustment is on Thursday. Any words of wisdom on what to expect?

Blurple

#5 Post by Blurple »

Good luck :)

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Braces47 wrote:My first adjustment is on Thursday. Any words of wisdom on what to expect?
You'll probably be underwhelmed unless your ortho decides it's time for powerchains and/or elastics, in which case it will be quite memorable. I think I had my braces for several months before I got elastics -- I had been (foolishly) thinking that I wouldn't need them. The memorable part was practicing getting them on and off using a small mirror, surrounded (it seemed) by patients watching me in amusement. I couldn't even curse properly because there were kids around.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

BracedGem

#7 Post by BracedGem »

djspeece wrote:
Braces47 wrote:My first adjustment is on Thursday. Any words of wisdom on what to expect?
You'll probably be underwhelmed unless your ortho decides it's time for powerchains and/or elastics, in which case it will be quite memorable. I think I had my braces for several months before I got elastics -- I had been (foolishly) thinking that I wouldn't need them. The memorable part was practicing getting them on and off using a small mirror, surrounded (it seemed) by patients watching me in amusement. I couldn't even curse properly because there were kids around.
Lol! Oh the joys. Believe it or not I can't wait for the elastics or power chains cause it means progress baby. I just want this gap closed already and I'll be OK for the rest of this process

SingleJawMelb

#8 Post by SingleJawMelb »

BracedGem wrote:I go to see my ortho the first friday of every month which is much sooner than the average person. Today was my first adjustment and i was upgraded to a steel wire on the bottom. The top still has a fairly light wire but I think a little stronger than before. They added a bracket to my left upper 2nd molar. It really sticks out. I am totally fine and feel no pain. Here's to praying that my annoying front tooth straightens in the following weeks. I just can't wait for the gapast to be closed and this over jet and overbite to be gone...
I go about every four weeks so your visits seem on schedule with the rest of the ortho community.

I fine with wires the pain doesn't correlate. A lot of the time I feel no pain but my ortho has asked me about my pain and sometimes has been shocked about my level. However I'm a lady and I think our periods play a part in pain threshold.

Clove oil is my best friend with regards to pain meds :)

Take pictures... I wish I did!

ruca2

#9 Post by ruca2 »

Depending on your treatment type and movements you need, your orthodontist may not close your gaps until the very end of treatment. To our dismay orthodontists actually need that space to rotate and align. Many times gap closure is the last part of treatment but don't be discouraged because it is all for a better end result.

BracedGem

#10 Post by BracedGem »

SingleJawMelb wrote:
BracedGem wrote:I go to see my ortho the first friday of every month which is much sooner than the average person. Today was my first adjustment and i was upgraded to a steel wire on the bottom. The top still has a fairly light wire but I think a little stronger than before. They added a bracket to my left upper 2nd molar. It really sticks out. I am totally fine and feel no pain. Here's to praying that my annoying front tooth straightens in the following weeks. I just can't wait for the gapast to be closed and this over jet and overbite to be gone...
I go about every four weeks so your visits seem on schedule with the rest of the ortho community.

I fine with wires the pain doesn't correlate. A lot of the time I feel no pain but my ortho has asked me about my pain and sometimes has been shocked about my level. However I'm a lady and I think our periods play a part in pain threshold.

Lady here too so 8) I've never heard if clove oil for pain. I may have to look into it. I always assumed most ppl saw the ortho every 6 to 8 weeks.

BracedGem

#11 Post by BracedGem »

ruca2 wrote:Depending on your treatment type and movements you need, your orthodontist may not close your gaps until the very end of treatment. To our dismay orthodontists actually need that space to rotate and align. Many times gap closure is the last part of treatment but don't be discouraged because it is all for a better end result.
Ugh fortunately for me, my ortho has planned to work on closing my gap in the next couple of months. I would probably go crazy if I had to wait til the end :shock: lol but like you said I would have handled it either way because of that better end result lol

SingleJawMelb

#12 Post by SingleJawMelb »

BracedGem wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

Lady here too so 8) I've never heard if clove oil for pain. I may have to look into it. I always assumed most ppl saw the ortho every 6 to 8 weeks.
I think the average time for braces is 18 months - so a 7 week average would mean 12 ortho visits. I've gone 20 times and just had surgey. How often do you go? I'm using an educated guess.

Clove Oil is great... well used for tooth aches but it tastes like sesame and cost effective so pharmas don't promote.

BracedGem

#13 Post by BracedGem »

SingleJawMelb wrote:
BracedGem wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

I think the average time for braces is 18 months - so a 7 week average would mean 12 ortho visits. I've gone 20 times and just had surgey. How often do you go? I'm using an educated guess.

Clove Oil is great... well used for tooth aches but it tastes like sesame and cost effective so pharmas don't promote.
I go the first Friday of every month so every 4 to 5 weeks. I just hit the 1 month and 1 week mark. Still early

miluti

#14 Post by miluti »

SingleJawMelb wrote:
BracedGem wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

I won't go in for my first adjustment until it's been NINE AND A HALF weeks (it'll have been 5 weeks braced this coming Friday). I kind of want to see if I can go in sooner to advance treatment, but - I suppose they've scheduled it this way for a reason, hey? I just have 12's (the initial bendy memory wire) on and I want to get dees teef movin'!! :GapToothed: :BigGrin:

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

BracedGem

#15 Post by BracedGem »

miluti wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:
BracedGem wrote:

I won't go in for my first adjustment until it's been NINE AND A HALF weeks (it'll have been 5 weeks braced this coming Friday). I kind of want to see if I can go in sooner to advance treatment, but - I suppose they've scheduled it this way for a reason, hey? I just have 12's (the initial bendy memory wire) on and I want to get dees teef movin'!! :GapToothed: :BigGrin:
Lol, I hear you!!! The thing that keeps me motivated is seeing even the slighest change while I wait. How do you get that little ticker thing down below btw?