4th Adjustment Wire Change...YAY!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

testimony777

4th Adjustment Wire Change...YAY!

#1 Post by testimony777 »

Hello everyone,

I got my 4th adjustment today and I finally got a new wire (at least on the top)! I am now in a 19X25 rectangular wire on top and a 16X22 round wire on the bottom. I have powerchains going all the way across on both arches. I am really excited to see what progress will be made on the top this month.

My bottom arch has now been in the 16X22 for 12 weeks and it will be another 6 weeks before I have any hope of having that one changed :( . I know that wire progression is not the sole measure of progress but I just don't feel like anything is being accomplished when it is not changed. I have come to associate pain with progress so unless my teeth are tender after an adjustment (which only happens with a wire change) I just feel like it is all a wast. Anyone else like that?
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

sneed1o1

Re: 4th Adjustment Wire Change...YAY!

#2 Post by sneed1o1 »

I have seen extensive changes with the elastics! I haven't had a wire change yet, but I'm hoping it will come soon! I'm about to have my 3rd adjustment, so maybe my teeth have moved enough by then! :P Do you know the purpose for each type of wire?

testimony777

Re: 4th Adjustment Wire Change...YAY!

#3 Post by testimony777 »

I don't know what each wire does specifically but I do know that the thiner wires are used to get the teeth in proper position (repositioning crooked teeth etc.) and the thicker wires are put on after. I have a tooth on the bottom that they are trying to rotate, which is why that wire stayed the same. I saw a LOT of changes with the elastics as well. It is quite amazing what they can accomplish with little rubber bands.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear