Brackets keep popping off - losing my mind!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

miluti

Brackets keep popping off - losing my mind!

#1 Post by miluti »

Has anyone had the same trouble I have had with brackets coming off? I had my braces installed on September 16th. Since then I've had FOUR BRACKETS come off and the wire come out of the back tubes on three occasions. Last night was the fourth bracket popping off - I was FLOSSING. I'm about to lose my marbles with all these extra appointments to reinstall the brackets. Is there any such thing as a "stronger glue" that I can request?

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

djspeece

Re: Brackets keep popping off - losing my mind!

#2 Post by djspeece »

I had my first one pop off while I was eating yogurt in my office two days after getting braced! It was on a crown, and apparently they are harder to adhere. My ortho put a bracket with a band around the entire tooth and that bad boy did not come off until three years later when I was debraced. I am thinking what you are experiencing is fairly common. I mean not about losing your mind, but the bracket thing :wink:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

BracesGuy

#3 Post by BracesGuy »

Presumably you're not chewing down on hard foods. A couple of things that can affect bracket adhesion include prep of the enamel prior to gluing them on and also the stiffness of the current wire (if the teeth aren't that straight yet and the wire is deformed the force on the brackets can be elevated if it is too stiff).

miluti

#4 Post by miluti »

BracesGuy wrote:Presumably you're not chewing down on hard foods. A couple of things that can affect bracket adhesion include prep of the enamel prior to gluing them on and also the stiffness of the current wire (if the teeth aren't that straight yet and the wire is deformed the force on the brackets can be elevated if it is too stiff).
Nope - being careful with foods. Two broke off from biting down, one from flossing, and one was indeed from a stray crunchy bit on chicken that wasn't supposed to be crunchy. :shock:

I just have the "baby wire" (a 12, I think she said...I'll move up to a stiffer 16 or 18 in mid-November) on right now - a memory wire, so it's pushing and trying to straighten out. They're all popping off on the right side molars (3 on the bottom so far and one on the top) - perhaps its because those teeth are angled in towards the centre of my mouth...more pressure on those brackets? I have Damon brackets and the interwebs seems to show a trend in those style brackets popping off more frequently as well.

I think some of it has to do with my excessive clenching at night... Perhaps it's putting pressure on/loosening the brackets. I have an appointment on Wednesday now to put it back on - hopefully they can help me find a way to stop this huzzarah. Gettin' ridiculous. :|

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

Braces47

#5 Post by Braces47 »

Maybe they can give you a guard to help during the night. I grind at night and had a night guard from my dentist prior to getting braces. I mentioned to my ortho that I was concerned about the grinding and the possibility that it might hurt my treatment by pushing the teeth in the wrong directions. She cut a sports guard in half and told me to wear a half during the night (i.e., either top or bottom). The guard hasn't been fitted to my teeth in order to allow the proper movement during treatment. I've noticed bite marks on the guard so I'm still grinding and this is helping to prevent me from causing issues with my treatment.

JCloNY

#6 Post by JCloNY »

I have only had one to come off. I was being bad eating some Popeye's popcorn shrimp and the back bracket came off. Outside of that thought none have come off.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Angloas

#7 Post by Angloas »

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your braces. I know how annoying it can get when things go wrong before your appointment.

I have had my braces last year to bring down my impacted canine tooth and to straighten my teeth. My orthodontist had only put braces on my upper teeth after the surgeon had attached the golden chain. Only recently my tooth started to make appearance under the gum. The gum is swollen but it hasn't erupted yet. Orthodontist decided to put braces on my lower teeth as well and because of my overbite, the brackets kept coming off. I always woke up with bits and pieces of the glue they use to attach. I went back and they have used a different type of brackets which are really helpful and much better. They are these jelly alike type of brackets, kinda feel like soft plastic when my upper teeth sits on it but it never affects it and they haven't come off yet, also they are comfortable too compared to regular brackets. Ask your orthodontist about them, I think it will help.

Hope it works out.

Kk023

#8 Post by Kk023 »

I don't know what's going on at all. I have braces right now and have had a total of five brackets pop off. I have no springs or crowns and try to be as careful as possible. The orthodontist I go to said to get an electric toothbrush which caused two of my brackets to break and then the others I'm not sure how. My most recent one was after an appointment that they repositioned brackets but this was three weeks after that appointment. I really don't know what has been going on because my older sibling went to this same place and didn't have as many struggles.