Upper incisor size difference

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalgear

Upper incisor size difference

#1 Post by metalgear »

Hi Guys,

One of my upper incisors is smaller in width than the other one. I can't tell for sure if the size difference will be noticable because it's tucked away so far back in my mouth due to crowding. My ortho did not mention it in my treatment plan and on my next appointment I plan on bringing it up. Any advice if you have dealt with this would be appreciated. I'm wondering if he will need to leave some space around the tooth for future cosmetic work.

ljms

Re: Upper incisor size difference

#2 Post by ljms »

You're right to start the conversation with your ortho at your next appointment. No one likes surprises.

In my case, my top centrals are different widths, lengths, and shapes and my laterals are different different shapes and lengths. It looks like I was made out of spare parts.

During treatment, my ortho trimmed the larger central very slightly so it would fit. I'm talking a small fraction of a millimeter.

After treatment, my dentist trimmed a teeny, tiny bit more to make the shape more natural. He then applied some bonding to the shorter central to make them the same length. The centrals are still slightly different widths and completely different shapes but it's not noticeable on a casual glance.

I decided to leave the laterals as they are.

My advice to anyone with asymmetrical teeth is to wait at least six months after getting your braces off before doing anything cosmetic. Take some time to get used to your new look, let your teeth settle and let your gums find their new position.