Elastics Bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

marvelwholock

Elastics Bands

#1 Post by marvelwholock »

HI, i just got my rubber bands and I have a few questions about it. I have been researching but I haven't been able to find out a lot about it. How long does it normally take for me to start noticing a different? ( I know it is different for everyone). Would I have to get a forsus? Does it depend on my overbite? Also I started on the 3/16 inche heavy 4.8mm elastic would I have to keep going or would I just keep that one until my overbite is done? I also my teeth to me and everyone is stright, but it does have an overbite, would I be able to get my braces off afterwards?

sneed1o1

Re: Elastics Bands

#2 Post by sneed1o1 »

I have an underbite, and it took me a week to really notice a difference. Pain is definitely a sign that things are moving. It also depends on the size of the elastics (light, medium, heavy). My orthodontist had me wear light elastics (but I doubled them to make them move faster, which I don't suggest doing).

verso

#3 Post by verso »

I still have no idea how elastics even work. This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but do the elastics move the lower jaw itself or do they move the teeth around inside the jaw?

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

verso wrote:I still have no idea how elastics even work. This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but do the elastics move the lower jaw itself or do they move the teeth around inside the jaw?
Your teeth would move, not your jaw, basically they apply force to encourage teeth to move in ways to help your orthodontic treatment along.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

verso

#5 Post by verso »

^ Gotcha. That's kind of what I had assumed, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Tiff2185

#6 Post by Tiff2185 »

Do they hurt as much as I hear?

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

Tiff2185 wrote:Do they hurt as much as I hear?
Depends on what you have heard and how you need to put them on.

After almost 14 months of elastics in different configurations, I think the worst I've had to do was triangles to pull my top canines down, and even then the first few days were pretty bad and then it wasn't so bad the rest of the time.

And by bad I mean at first it felt like my canines were being pulled out very slowly.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

sneed1o1

#8 Post by sneed1o1 »

Tyrantblade wrote:
Tiff2185 wrote:Do they hurt as much as I hear?
Depends on what you have heard and how you need to put them on.

After almost 14 months of elastics in different configurations, I think the worst I've had to do was triangles to pull my top canines down, and even then the first few days were pretty bad and then it wasn't so bad the rest of the time.

And by bad I mean at first it felt like my canines were being pulled out very slowly.
In response to teeth vs. jaw movement, I've been told they move teeth and retrain the jaw MUSCLES. I believe the move more than teeth because I occasionally feel pressure around my cheek bones. As far as pain, I've heard of some not experiencing any pain, but they have described it as pressure. I've felt both! for the first few days, the teeth with the elastics applied were tender, and the days following it was more blunt pressure.