Bad smell when changing wires

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catpotat

Bad smell when changing wires

#1 Post by Catpotat »

Can anyone else smell a really bad odor each time they get their wire taken out and replaced?
I'm worried that that is what my breath smells like and now I am self conscious to talk to anyone :<

Any extra tips on cleaning or bad breath remedies (other than the standard brushing and flossing) would be helpful.
I have self ligating clear braces and I suspect the cause is being unable to clean under the gates.

jaime

Re: Bad smell when changing wires

#2 Post by jaime »

You can't go wrong with a Waterpik. You'd be amazed how much stuff it will dislodge even after brushing for 2 minutes. Mouth wash would probably be helpful, too.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

whitney555

#3 Post by whitney555 »

I'm in the same boat, and I also suspect it's bacteria getting built up around the gates (I have damons also). I try to take advantage when they let me brush with the wires out at my appointments, but that only does so much when the appointments are 6-10 weeks apart. I use listerine most of the time, but I'm not sure how much it helps. I've been told by both ortho and dentist that I've been keeping the braces really clean, so I don't know how much more I can do about it. I guess I don't really have any advice for you - I'm just here to commiserate. I've kind of just resigned myself to it. :roll:

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I agree on the Waterpik tip. I still use mine, 3 years after having my braces removed.
They can be pricy...$50 to $75 but it is a great investment and I recommend it for anyone with braces. They go on sale often...check Target, Walmart, Walgreens and even online.

msw

#5 Post by msw »

YES on the Waterpik! Try blasting your tonsils to knock off any tonsil stones that may have developed. You can use a flashlight to examine back there. For mouthwashes, I recommend either Closys or TheraBreath, but getting rid of tonsil stones will make a HUGE difference!

mrscetrone

#6 Post by mrscetrone »

I only had that happen one time with wire ties. I think it's bacteria build up from where it's impossible to reach with a brush sometimes.

Tiff2185

#7 Post by Tiff2185 »

I noticed mine had a strange odor as well! I assumed bacteria stuck to the metal. Glad I'm not alone

Catpotat

#8 Post by Catpotat »

I know this is not recommended but I took matters into my own hands and removed my wire for cleaning. This was pretty easy with self ligating braces.
The debris stuck under the gates was the definite cause! Gross. My ortho doesn't let me brush during wire changes :(

JCloNY

#9 Post by JCloNY »

Try the WaterPik. I was amazed at how much stuff its lodged in braces. #gross :shock:
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);