Any1 else had to wear elastics for this long?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

Any1 else had to wear elastics for this long?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

Next month will be 14 months of both braces and elastics, braces I don't mind, but having elastics the whole time is so annoying.

I got a short daytime break from elastics for about a month and a half, but yesterday they directed me to put elastics on in yet another configuration during the day and the same one for midline at night.

I'm wondering if it will be another 10 months or so with even more elastics every step of the way.

And I'm very diligent in wearing them, so it's not my fault, it's just the number of configurations I've needed that made it take so long.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

whitney555

Re: Any1 else had to wear elastics for this long?

#2 Post by whitney555 »

I've had to wear elastics since the beginning (11 months now), and I kind of just assume I'll be wearing them the whole time. My treatment is winding down (hopefully done by the end of the year), but there's been no talk of ditching the elastics. At least I've never known anything different, so if I do get to stop wearing them before I get debraced, it'll be like a special treat!

Do the different configurations at least keep things interesting? I've only had two configurations, the second of which I switched to after my first appointment. So I've been doing the same thing for 9 months - it's getting pretty boring. They did step up the strength of the elastics (from light to medium) a few months ago, but that's it.

Tyrantblade

#3 Post by Tyrantblade »

Well different configurations were interesting at first, now not so much.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

testimony777

#4 Post by testimony777 »

I am only six months in but I have been wearing elastics since my third adjustment (at the 2.5 month mark) and there is seemingly no end in sight. I have to wear class II elastics in a triangle formation on both sides to address an anterior open bite. I have been diligent in wearing them and my bite closed pretty quickly but I am still in the elastics. I suspect that I will be in them for the duration of my treatment although I am hoping that will not be the case.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

I'm not as far into my treatment as the rest of you, but I've had mine since my first adjustment and I've mentally prepared myself for it to be the duration of my treatment because most of what they're fixing is bite issues (and my midline is off). Things are pretty straight as of now, so yeah..I'm probably in elastics for the long haul.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

lambchop

#6 Post by lambchop »

I hate to break it to you, but I wore braces for a few months shy of 5 years, and I had elastics for almost the entire time. I wore them 24-7, but my teeth were stubborn. There's no real way to know how long you'll have to wear them, hopefully you'll have elastic teeth!

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

Really, there's no "typical" or "ordinary" for elastics; when they are used varies widely with each individual case.

mrscetrone

#8 Post by mrscetrone »

I'm at 19 months and I've only had two 6 week periods where my orthodontist told me not to wear them. I have to wear elastics 24/7. :\

MrPlenty

#9 Post by MrPlenty »

17 months in...I have about 12 months in 24/7 elastics. I do believe I will possibly wear them until the end (supposedly 19months).