Top teeth touching bottom brackets from deep bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldperson

Top teeth touching bottom brackets from deep bite

#1 Post by oldperson »

Hi, so Im getting braces in a week to fix my two upper impacted canines and rather bad deep bite, as well as just other crooked teeth. Although because of this deep bite i'm wondering what will happen to stop my top teeth touching the brackets on the bottom. My orthodontist hasn't said anything about this so i'm really quite confused. Ive read elsewhere on this forum about bite turbos and molar build ups but really I'm not sure.
So does anyone have some advice about what could happen when i get my braces in a week?

DrJasonKTam

Re: Top teeth touching bottom brackets from deep bite

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Likely some molar build ups or some bonding on the incisors to keep things from clashing until the bite allows for your back teeth to touch without biting on your braces. To help open your bite, there may be curved wires and/or elastics used as well. Congratulations on getting started!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

oldperson

#3 Post by oldperson »

Thanks for your reply, if molar build ups were used how would I be able to chew food, because my molars would not be able to touch each other?

verso

#4 Post by verso »

oldperson wrote:Thanks for your reply, if molar build ups were used how would I be able to chew food, because my molars would not be able to touch each other?
With great difficulty. I've had mine for almost two months. I've only just recently gotten used to them. They suck but serve an important purpose.

MissEvaH

#5 Post by MissEvaH »

At the start you will feel like you'll never be able to eat normally again, but you will eventually.

Catpotat

#6 Post by Catpotat »

MissEvaH wrote:At the start you will feel like you'll never be able to eat normally again, but you will eventually.
I second this, it's like chewing with only 2 teeth at the beginning but the molar build ups wear down over time

Beckett

#7 Post by Beckett »

I had my two top teeth hitting all 4 bottom central brackets right from the beginning. My ortho used a type of thicker rubber ligature under the regular ligature as a bumper. It was a little impossible to chew for a while until things leveled out (I had reversed curve wires that helped) and my molars finally touched again. Stock up on foods you can easily squish against the of your mouth. It's awkward, and be reassured that it won't last forever. Don't be surprised if the number on your scale goes down a bit from all of this.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

Ziggy

#8 Post by Ziggy »

You get used to it -- don't worry, you won't starve. I now have buildups on my back molars and also under my upper front teeth and on top of my lower front teeth. Couldn't contact my bottom brackets with my front teeth even if I wanted to.

oldperson

#9 Post by oldperson »

So I got my braces on a few days ago, and the orthodontist did put some molar buildups in, although they are not high enough. So whenever I bite down my 4 front teeth touch the brackets. This isn't a problem normally although when I try to eat I am constantly nervous i'm going to break the brackets off my lower teeth. Should I call my ortho, as my next appointment is one and a half months away or will this problems fix itself in a few weeks time as my bite opens?

verso

#10 Post by verso »

^ I'd give your ortho a call just in case. I'd be more afraid of clenching my teeth in my sleep... pop goes a bracket!

Beckett

#11 Post by Beckett »

Yes, call your ortho. You don't want to chip a tooth from hitting those brackets, never mind the hassle of popping one off. (The bracket, not the tooth :D )
Braces for 18 months/4 days.