Are springs painful?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldperson

Are springs painful?

#1 Post by oldperson »

So I'm getting braces in a few weeks to fix my two impacted canines, and my ortho said that involves springs (one on either side) and i've heard horror stories from other people saying springs are painful and uncomfortable.

So I just wanted to hear about some other people who have/have had springs on their braces and what they're like.

Thanks for any help

anacsilva

Re: Are springs painful?

#2 Post by anacsilva »

Springs are fine! You feel a little pain from your teeth moving, but you'd still feel it with regular braces.

I've had springs for three months and I only have pain in the first few days after adjustment, afterwards it's just a breeze.
Ana, the (probably) most paranoid and obsessed human being on this Earth. Big mistake, putting something on my teeth for years while I can freely obsess over it :P

Top braces (front and left side): February 21st, 2016
Top braces (full): ...... it was supposed to be a month later
Bottom braces: probably never, at this speed!

traintracks92

#3 Post by traintracks92 »

They're not that bad as some people make them out to be. Yes, they do hurt the first couple days but I found the pain to be manageable. I didn't need any aspirin or ibuprofen. It did suck to eat because that area of my mouth was pretty sore but after 3-4 hours the soreness goes away too.

There were two annoying things about springs though- food gets stuck in them often and your lip can get caught on the spring, especially overnight while sleeping.

stellarxoxo

#4 Post by stellarxoxo »

I never had an issue with my Spring. I had it on for 2 months. My one tooth was too far back so they had to tie my tooth/bracket to the wire. It took 4 months for them to be able to actually engage that tooth to the wire itself. It wasn't terrible at all.

verso

#5 Post by verso »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but are there springs of different strengths? Because I've had this spring on for over a month now, and I'm not sure it has done anything at all. *If* it has created a gap at all, and I'm not sure it has, it's maybe a fraction of a mm... virtually immeasurable. At a fraction of a mm per month, there should be just enough room for the tooth behind it to sneak in, oh, 6 years from now? :lol:

braces25

#6 Post by braces25 »

I've had my spring on since my first adjustment in February and its never bothered me up till now (although I think it's because the spring has created enough room and is not super loose and spin around. the end will catch my lip which is a bit painful) most of the time I even forgot that the spring was even there.

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

I had open coil springs for a while, i cant say they added much if any pain to having braces.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17