Which retainer after a treatment with extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovespain5

Which retainer after a treatment with extractions?

#1 Post by Lovespain5 »

I was treated with my 4 first bicuspids extracted to resolve a bimax protrusion with lip incompetence.
After 2 years and 8 months, I am free and I start with the retainer phase.
I have an Essix for both jaws for the night but the ortho wants to add one permanent on the bottom and on the top.
Permanent retainers are very efficient when you had been treated for a bimax protrusion in his opinion.
I hesitate and I need advice.
And do you think like me that a relapse is generally more difficult after a treatment with extractions?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

oldfart

Re: Which retainer after a treatment with extractions?

#2 Post by oldfart »

I think it would be more likely to occur. But I am relapse paranoid in my own treatment. I wanted retainers more than just the permanent ones as I had a gap from a molar extraction closed and the permanent ones don't protect molars.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

I had my lower first premolars extracted. I have a lower permanent retainer and an Essix to go over it. My ortho said I really only need to wear my lower Essix at night, but I like to wear it as much as I wear my upper Essix because I too am paranoid about relapse.

Lovespain5

#4 Post by Lovespain5 »

Thank you very much!
I personnally think that the brushing is more difficult with the permanent ones and the stability of the result is better with a retainer which covers all the teeth.
In my opinion, the permanent one is a bit annoying, as if you had lingual braces for life.

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

Takes about 10 extra seconds to floss around my permanent one. Doesn't affect brushing one bit.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

OK! I wonder if you can bit normally in an apple with a permanent retainer or you have to cut the apple in slices as when you had braces?...

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

I've eaten a caramel apple with my permanent retainer. No harm done. Mind you, I've never been able to bite into an apple that hasn't been cored and sliced before now, so I haven't tried it out. As long as you're careful, you should be fine. I've also read that a lot of people have more trouble with upper permanent retainers than lowers...

Lovespain5

#8 Post by Lovespain5 »

EWUgal15 wrote:I've eaten a caramel apple with my permanent retainer. No harm done. Mind you, I've never been able to bite into an apple that hasn't been cored and sliced before now, so I haven't tried it out. As long as you're careful, you should be fine. I've also read that a lot of people have more trouble with upper permanent retainers than lowers...
Lower permanent retainer is very frequent. The problem is that the ortho wants to put me an upper one too...

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

In four premolar extraction treatments, we are using upper and lower essix retainers with or without fixed lingual retainers, but generally, our patients are requesting fixed retainers to at least maintain straightness of the front teeth if they fail to use their removable retainers. Depending on tongue posture and other factors, with fixed retainers only, there can often be a space that redevelops where the extraction was completed. Remember that the lingual retainers only hold those front teeth straight, and in extraction treatments, there is often significant movement of the back teeth.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Lovespain5

#10 Post by Lovespain5 »

DrJasonKTam wrote:In four premolar extraction treatments, we are using upper and lower essix retainers with or without fixed lingual retainers, but generally, our patients are requesting fixed retainers to at least maintain straightness of the front teeth if they fail to use their removable retainers. Depending on tongue posture and other factors, with fixed retainers only, there can often be a space that redevelops where the extraction was completed. Remember that the lingual retainers only hold those front teeth straight, and in extraction treatments, there is often significant movement of the back teeth.

Hope that helps!
Thank you very much Doctor Tam. I agree with the fact that retainers covering all the teeth are compulsory in these cases and the fixed ones aren't.
I'll keep on with the Essix only and we wait for some months to see the evolution.