Third try at fixing my deep bite--This Wednesday

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2XRound

Third try at fixing my deep bite--This Wednesday

#1 Post by 2XRound »

My bite has slipped a lot in the past 18months since debanding. :cry: My dentist told me to make an appointment with a new orthodontist to get my bite looked at. I go in Wednesday and i am curious to know how others are having their over bite deep bite fixed. I expect to have both arches wired and a mouthful of elastics, but what else will they do and how long do you think it will take. I am depressed thinking about bite blockers, spacers, etc. Is that going to be standard equipmenat for my third trip.I am also dealing with sleep apnea and may have to wear a splint (herbst appliance for that). My mouth is already feeling crowded.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Beckett

Re: Third try at fixing my deep bite--This Wednesday

#2 Post by Beckett »

I'm having a deep bite fixed. My first adjustment gave me reverse curve wires to both extrude the molars and intrude the central front teeth. Just a wee bit on each adds up. My top teeth no longer hit the brackets on the bottom like they did when I first had them put on. I did not have molar buildups but I had small clear bumpers on each front lower bracket installed just like a ligature. They were kind of bouncy so when my front teeth connected with them it wasn't as jarring. But they weren't on forever, you can do anything for just a couple of months if it's going to fix what needs fixing.

You say your bite has slipped...have you been wearing your retainers?
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

2XRound

#3 Post by 2XRound »

Did not wear retainers religiously. :oops: Thanks for your post. I printed it out and am going to take it with me tomorrow. I am pretty sure about what I am going to be told, because they warned me. :cry: Is there any way you can find out more information or send a picture of those little bumpers they puit on yur lower brackets. They sound like a great idea. Did you choose metal or clear on your lowers?
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]

Tubb

#4 Post by Tubb »

I currently have two bite turbos on the back of my two front teeth, so hey stop me from biting down. They have worked so far but my molars do not touch still.

iob

#5 Post by iob »

2XRound wrote:...more information or send a picture of those little bumpers they puit on yur lower brackets. They sound like a great idea.
They're called elastomeric ligature guards. Definitely used to prevent teeth hitting ceramic brackets, which are harder than the tooth's enamel. Good luck!

2XRound

#6 Post by 2XRound »

Thanks so much. I am so nervous about tomorrow that I can't concentrate so I am scouring the internet for ideas of things that could be done to avoid being rebraced. However it appears to nearly futile. :(

[color=#0080FF]

2XRound

#7 Post by 2XRound »

Good news and bad news. Dr. was politely critical of my poor compliance with my retainer orders. Solution involves no new braces :o , but instead active retainers to be worn 24/7. She showed me a sample and it looked like a Hawley with a spring built in. I can take them out to eat and yes they will make my teeth sensitive. The question is will I be able to talk. :oops:

[color=#0080FF]

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

Active for how long? What was your retainer orders before? I'm sure you'll talk better than me. Normally Hawley's cause a tad of a lisp but nothing extreme.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Beckett

#9 Post by Beckett »

The bumpers I had looked like a fat ligature. The fatter portion sat where the upper tooth would come in contact with it, and there were very slightly springy. They were clear, so not terribly noticeable.

But it sounds like you've got a plan in place. Now wear them 24/7! :wink: Your speech will compensate eventually.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

2XRound

#10 Post by 2XRound »

Worried about speech problems. :( Had trouble with retainers before. Going for a second opinioin

[color=#0080FF]

jem

#11 Post by jem »

If you wear your spring hawley retainers 24/7 except for eating as directed, you should not have any problems speaking after the first few days.

Good luck!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

oldfart

#12 Post by oldfart »

Unless they are evil like mine.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom