Really upset with my orthodontist, should I transfer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Re: Really upset with my orthodontist, should I transfer?

#16 Post by oldfart »

I used to email 6-8 questions to my ortho every week before my apts. Just so answers would be waiting when I came in.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

penguino

#17 Post by penguino »

Thank you everyone for your replies! I've been busy looking for orthodontists who can give me a second opinion, and had a consultation with one yesterday. He knows the orthodontist who is working on my case and told me to try to work things out with him before making my mind up about switching, as it is a hassle. How do I do this though? Do I call and say, I would like to sit down and discuss some concerns with my orthodontist? The assistants made it quite clear to only call for emergencies, like a wire that needs to be cut or broken bracket. :/

I've noticed something as well..my teeth are starting to move inwards. I can tell because the last molars in top and bottom are not bracketed, and you can see how the rest of my teeth are not in line with that molar anymore, and I can feel it with my tounge. It looks like my teeth are caving in on me. I have another consultation next Friday, and I'm hoping this guy will actually look in my mouth and tell me that things are going wrong, and that my brCkets need to be reposition ASAP. The guy I saw yesterday didn't even look in my mouth, I just sat with him at a table and told him my concerns, then pulled up my pics and X-rays on his laptop. He told me I shouldn't have had all my teeth filed, only the front few, and said I only need braces for 12 months, not 18-20. I would post pictures but for some reason it says I can't?

Im worried that by next Friday my teeth will be even worse but if I call my ortho now I don't know what to tell him to back up my concerns, as the ortho I saw yesterday didn't really tell me how he would wire my brackets differently, center them, etc.

My teeth also make a crunching/cracking noise when I bite down, and my jaw is popping a lot when I talk. My teeth aren't straightening at all, just moving backwards toward my tounge.
My midline is also now off..I'm really starting to regret getting braces in the first place.

What should I do??

cata

#18 Post by cata »

It's not uncommon for things to get worse before they get better. My bite got a lot worse before finally getting better... none of my molars touched anymore, my edge-to-edge bite was no longer edge-to-edge but clearly an underbite. Everything got better though. Call and make an appointment to sit down and talk with him about your concerns or mention it at your next appointment. He should be able to reassure you. If you still feel he's not right for you, then definitely find someone else you're comfortable with. Not every orthodontist is going to come up with the same treatment plan, but you have to trust that they know what they're doing.

Beckett

#19 Post by Beckett »

I think you're being overly paranoid about where your brackets are placed. Why would you insist they be in the center if that's not what your treatment indicates is needed? When you first get brackets on things aren't supposed to look symmetrical and pretty. And to try and force your Ortho to glue them where you, completely without any formal training, think they should go so they look prettier, probably isn't the wisest idea.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

sirwired

#20 Post by sirwired »

I'm not sure why you are hoping somebody will tell you that your current ortho has made a mistake. The ideal situation is the second opinion will tell you everything is fine and that you can avoid the expense and hassle of switching orthodontists.

You can generally call the office and ask to schedule a block of time to talk with the orthodontist. Offer to send your questions ahead of time.

It is VERY common for things to feel and look unnatural and out-of-line during the course of treatment; this is not a sign of anything going wrong.

penguino

#21 Post by penguino »

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while, but I wanted to thank everyone for reading and responding to my post.

Since getting braces in August, my top and bottom teeth are now slanted, my teeth have been pushed back, my jaw has been pushed back, I have a huge open bite, my teeth have intruded into my gums, my cheeks have sunken in, and on top of that, I have muscle spasms in my jaw and severe jaw problems that will need surgery to fix.

I litterly had only six crooked teeth when I started, no jaw problems no open bite, my chin was fine. Very very simple case. Now, my teeth and jaw are so messed up and I'm pissed.

I've been telling people that my orthodontist did not put my braces on properly, and now this is the result. My teeth get worse each month. I went for a consultation at another ortho today and he confirmed everything I suspected. everytime I complained these past months, people told me to shut up and that my orthodontist knows what he's doing, and that I was just being paranoid, but now I have proof.

Where do I go from here? I want my money back, do I have to take him to court or what?

If anyone reading this has had experience with an incompetent orthodontist, any advice would be great. Thank you!

verso

#22 Post by verso »

If, in fact, this orthodontist of yours misplaced the brackets and caused you harm, and you'll be made to pay out of pocket in order to correct the situation, then yes, you'll want to meet with an attorney and discuss your options.