Have slight underbite now due to braces, would I need surgery?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

traintracks92

Have slight underbite now due to braces, would I need surgery?

#1 Post by traintracks92 »

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster! I really like coming here and reading some of the threads and responses. Lot of great information!

So I've had Damon braces for about 9 months now and have a come a long long way. My sentence is 24 months. When I first started my journey, I had a normal bite. Now It's to the point where my front upper and lower teeth sit on top of each other. I've been in elastics (Owl kind, which are pretty weak!) for the last month and a half. I have seen a little bit of difference but nothing crazy. I went in for an emergency repair about 3 weeks ago because a bottom bracket of mine broke and while he was putting on the new bracket, my Ortho mentioned he would be putting turbos on the back of my front teeth to speed up the correction of my bite because he's not satisfied with how slowly things are moving. He hasn't mentioned surgery or anything, but reading some of the threads about people that have underbites and how they required surgery to fix it, will I need that as well?

Thanks!

Lovespain5

Re: Have slight underbite now due to braces, would I need surgery?

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

traintracks92 wrote:Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster! I really like coming here and reading some of the threads and responses. Lot of great information!

So I've had Damon braces for about 9 months now and have a come a long long way. My sentence is 24 months. When I first started my journey, I had a normal bite. Now It's to the point where my front upper and lower teeth sit on top of each other. I've been in elastics (Owl kind, which are pretty weak!) for the last month and a half. I have seen a little bit of difference but nothing crazy. I went in for an emergency repair about 3 weeks ago because a bottom bracket of mine broke and while he was putting on the new bracket, my Ortho mentioned he would be putting turbos on the back of my front teeth to speed up the correction of my bite because he's not satisfied with how slowly things are moving. He hasn't mentioned surgery or anything, but reading some of the threads about people that have underbites and how they required surgery to fix it, will I need that as well?

Thanks!
Is it an underbite? Or just a complete contact between upper and lower teeth?
Here's a photo of my result in profile, as my orthodontist chose to obtain the maximal retraction of the upper jaw.
If your case is like this, it's not an underbite at all but a perfect Class I occlusion.
And how is the relationship of your molars?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

lmk

#3 Post by lmk »

It sounds like the braces gave you an edge-to-edge bite. As the bottom crowded teeth straighten out and the arch gets round an edge -to-edge bite can happen in some cases. Don't worry, you won't need surgery. The exact same thing happened to me and my orthodontist had me wear elastics and did some Interproximal reduction (IPR) inbetween the front bottom teeth. What that means is that she filed inbetween the teeth on bottom (only the front four teeth) to give spaces and making more "room" for those teeth to move back. As those spaces closed my bottom teeth moved back allowing the upper teeth to bite in front of lowers again. Maybe you might be a candidate for that.
Last edited by lmk on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

traintracks92

#4 Post by traintracks92 »

Hi Lovespain5!

Thanks for the response. For some reason it's saying I don't have authorization to view your photo.

It's complete contact between upper front and lower front teeth. I used to have severe bottom crowding, and what I'm assuming happened is that my teeth shifted forward. I'm worried that I'll either need jaw surgery or once my treatment is completed, my jaw will go back to it's normal position pre-braces/elastics.

Can you also expand on what you mean by relationship of my my molars? I essentially have all my teeth in, including my bottom wisdom's teeth.

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

traintracks92 wrote:Hi Lovespain5!

Thanks for the response. For some reason it's saying I don't have authorization to view your photo.
You have to be a full member to view photos: this means making 7-9 posts and your user name will turn green. Then you can view and post photos :)

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

traintracks92 wrote:Hi Lovespain5!

It's complete contact between upper front and lower front teeth. I used to have severe bottom crowding, and what I'm assuming happened is that my teeth shifted forward. I'm worried that I'll either need jaw surgery or once my treatment is completed, my jaw will go back to it's normal position pre-braces/elastics.

Can you also expand on what you mean by relationship of my my molars? I essentially have all my teeth in, including my bottom wisdom's teeth.
Give me your mail please to send you my photo.
You say a complete contact between your top and bottom teeth.
I think that lmk gives you the best explanation as he's having the same experience now.
As you have Damon braces, they may expand the lower arch to correct your crowding.
The second possibility is that your orthodontist, for correcting a slight overbite, create a complete contact between both your jaws.
But it arrives rarely during the first part of your treatment.
So I opt for the explanation given by lmk.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

traintracks92

#7 Post by traintracks92 »

Apologize for the delay response! I've been traveling for work internationally and it's been hectic the past couple weeks.

[quote="lmk"]It sounds like the braces gave you an edge-to-edge bite. As the bottom crowded teeth straighten out and the arch gets round an edge -to-edge bite can happen in some cases. Don't worry, you won't need surgery. The exact same thing happened to me and my orthodontist had me wear elastics and did some Interproximal reduction (IPR) inbetween the front bottom teeth. What that means is that she filed inbetween the teeth on bottom (only the front four teeth) to give spaces and making more "room" for those teeth to move back. As those spaces closed my bottom teeth moved back allowing the upper teeth to bite in front of lowers again. Maybe you might be a candidate for that.[/quote]

You were right! My othro did IPR on my front bottom teeth and then put bite turbos behind those bottom teeth. It's been 3 days since my appointment but I can already tell a difference and see my bottom teeth have started to move back!

sneed1o1

#8 Post by sneed1o1 »

traintracks92 wrote:Apologize for the delay response! I've been traveling for work internationally and it's been hectic the past couple weeks.
lmk wrote:It sounds like the braces gave you an edge-to-edge bite. As the bottom crowded teeth straighten out and the arch gets round an edge -to-edge bite can happen in some cases. Don't worry, you won't need surgery. The exact same thing happened to me and my orthodontist had me wear elastics and did some Interproximal reduction (IPR) inbetween the front bottom teeth. What that means is that she filed inbetween the teeth on bottom (only the front four teeth) to give spaces and making more "room" for those teeth to move back. As those spaces closed my bottom teeth moved back allowing the upper teeth to bite in front of lowers again. Maybe you might be a candidate for that.
You were right! My othro did IPR on my front bottom teeth and then put bite turbos behind those bottom teeth. It's been 3 days since my appointment but I can already tell a difference and see my bottom teeth have started to move back!
Do you have any recent pictures with the bite turbos?? I've never heard of these before! I also have a slight underbite with an slight anterior open bite. Possible TAD placement, but for now, I'm just doing elastics. I'm supposed to get IPR next Tuesday! How was that??

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

It isn't uncommon to go into an edge to edge or underbite in some situations if you have crowding in your lower teeth with or without spacing in the upper arch. Teeth in an underbite won't be able to move as quickly because of the interference of the opposite jaw.

In our office, we generally don't straighten the lower front teeth right away if there is a chance to go into an underbite, instead developing some distance between the top and bottom front teeth before doing so.

It is rare to need to go from not requiring surgery to requiring surgery during treatment for adults who are not growing, assuming the original diagnosis and treatment plan were sound. Speak to your doctor should you have any concerns about this. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8