Anyone else regret their ceramics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

verso

Re: Anyone else regret their ceramics?

#16 Post by verso »

Sunnygirl807 wrote:I am getting braces on Friday. I was considering ceramics, but I don't know about the staining. Are the ligatures the archwire or the actual brackets that are staining?
Neither. The ligs are the little elastics they use to fit around each bracket in order to keep the archwire in place. And those are what stain...bad.

Sunnygirl807

#17 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

Neither. The ligs are the little elastics they use to fit around each bracket in order to keep the archwire in place. And those are what stain...bad.[/quote]

Ok. Thanks. My orthodontist uses Clarity, I believe. I may have to get metal, because I love saucy foods too much.

verso

#18 Post by verso »

Sunnygirl807 wrote: Ok. Thanks. My orthodontist uses Clarity, I believe. I may have to get metal, because I love saucy foods too much.
Same here! What can I say? I'm an Italian boyo! :lol:

angelina

#19 Post by angelina »

I like my ceramics. I have self litigating so that solves a lot of issues, I do have a power chain on sometimes which gets a bit gross by the time my next appointment comes around but I still don't find it that bad my teeth just don't look quite so white close up. I did have 4 removed and replaced at my last appointment and the ceramic was much more difficult to remove but even then I'm not too concerned. I'm just happy they're not as visible in photos!

lmk

#20 Post by lmk »

Sunnygirl807 wrote:I am getting braces on Friday. I was considering ceramics, but I don't know about the staining. Are the ligatures the archwire or the actual brackets that are staining?
The ceramic brackets themselves do not stain. It's the ligatures that stain. Ligatures are the tiny little elastics that hold the archwire to the brackets and those are changed at every adjustment.

thegolfer86

#21 Post by thegolfer86 »

I have ceramic self-ligating brackets on top, metal on bottom. Initially I thought the profile of the ceramics would be too much, with having crowded teeth & overjet, but honestly I don't notice much of a difference. The ones on my canine teeth are the only ones that aren't friendly against my cheeks, but I'm not sure if they were metal they'd be any friendlier. Just put dental wax on those two and I'm glad I chose upper ceramic SL.
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

Sunnygirl807

#22 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

Thanks so much. I am getting so nervous.

2XRound

#23 Post by 2XRound »

My ceramics accentuated my tout pout. :oops: If I have to go back it will be small metal for me
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

oldfart

#24 Post by oldfart »

2XRound wrote:My ceramics accentuated my tout pout. :oops: If I have to go back it will be small metal for me
What is a Trout Pout? I saw you mention this elsewhere.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

2XRound

#25 Post by 2XRound »

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Ziggy

#26 Post by Ziggy »

I have non-ligating ceramics on top and non-ligating metal on the bottom. I drink a lot of coffee and no staining problems -- yet. I guess there are clear brackets and then there are clear brackets.

samoorelaw

#27 Post by samoorelaw »

First round of braces, I had the ceramic brackets and my third round I had the metal. I preferred the metal because 1) they were cheaper, 2) they were smaller and more comfortable, 3) I didn't have to worry about staining on the ligs, which is much more obvious on ceramic brackets, and 4) the metal are a lot easier to remove than the clear. Also, I believe my treatment was quicker this last time because I went all metal, and everyone could always tell I had braces even with the ceramic brackets.

So in a way, I regret not having gone with all metal the first time.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Johnnyboy

#28 Post by Johnnyboy »

Samoorelaw I agree with you. I'm booked in to the orthodontist on Friday to have my top ceramic brackets removed and replaced to the Damon metal the same as I have on the bottom. I wish now that I had had the metal in the first place purely due to the brackets are mush smaller and more comfortable.

Caitrm

#29 Post by Caitrm »

I have ceramics with smoke coloured elastics and a power chain, and I can hardly notice it! In fact, the smoke coloured power chain kind of makes the archwire blend into the ceramics!

cata

#30 Post by cata »

In the beginning I somewhat regretted it, but after 2.5 years I don't care anymore. lol