Extract one side at a time or all at once?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catpotat

Extract one side at a time or all at once?

#1 Post by Catpotat »

Hi guys, four premolar extractions. What would you do?

Pros and cons.

One side at a time:
+Can chew on other side while healing
-Have to go in for two extraction appointments
-Possibly more fear for the second extraction because you know what to expect

All at once:
+Get it all over and done with
+Only have to go in once
-Whole mouth numb and difficult to eat for a while

badbraces

Re: Extract one side at a time or all at once?

#2 Post by badbraces »

I'm getting my teeth extracted next month so would like to read inputs on this. I was thinking of getting 4 teeth at once to get it over with but I guess eating would suck so much! :cry:

Catpotat

#3 Post by Catpotat »

badbraces wrote:I'm getting my teeth extracted next month so would like to read inputs on this. I was thinking of getting 4 teeth at once to get it over with but I guess eating would suck so much! :cry:
I know right! I'm going for extractions today, will let you know how it goes :) The way i see it, it would be hard to eat anyway with just one side. May as well get it all out and only have to recover once. But we shall see ;_;

Felina Grimm

#4 Post by Felina Grimm »

Get them all out at once. That's what I did with my wisdoms.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Catpotat

#5 Post by Catpotat »

Felina Grimm wrote:Get them all out at once. That's what I did with my wisdoms.
Same here! With wisdoms it might be a little different though since it's a more invasive procedure. I got it done under general anaesthesia and it made sense to do it all at once. But premolars and braces, in the chair, wide awake...? I dunnooo.

Update: Broke down into a fit of tears because of the amount of discomfort I'm in right now. My lips can't close, I'm exhausted, the weather is gloomy and a wiggly black millipede thing was crawling along my bedroom floor. This has not been a good day so far :'( Haven't even got the extractions yet but "pls no" to all of it! :|

Bracingmyself33

#6 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

I had 2 upper wisdom and 4 premolars extracted at one ago under LA. Then braces on by the 6th day.

I would say get it done with at one go. Eating will be an issue irregardless the number of extraction sessions.

You'll be fine. :)

kattiar

#7 Post by kattiar »

[quote="Bracingmyself33"]

I would say get it done with at one go. Eating will be an issue irregardless the number of extraction sessions.

You'll be fine. :)[/quote]

I second this. May as well get it over and done with all at once.

Catpotat

#8 Post by Catpotat »

Bracingmyself33 wrote:I had 2 upper wisdom and 4 premolars extracted at one ago under LA. Then braces on by the 6th day.

I HAVE JUST DONE IT. That was so intense, but I'm glad I got them all over and done with - would definitely not have returned after the first time.
You must be fearless to have extracted 6 teeth under LA, Bracingmyself33!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, this forum is amazing <3
And now the healing process begins :jump:

Bracingmyself33

#9 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Meowmei wrote:
Bracingmyself33 wrote:I had 2 upper wisdom and 4 premolars extracted at one ago under LA. Then braces on by the 6th day.

I HAVE JUST DONE IT. That was so intense, but I'm glad I got them all over and done with - would definitely not have returned after the first time.

Good job! :D

Treat yourself to frozen yogurt and ice cream! You deserve it!

Felina Grimm

#10 Post by Felina Grimm »

Meowmei wrote: I HAVE JUST DONE IT. That was so intense, but I'm glad I got them all over and done with - would definitely not have returned after the first time.
See? Better to suffer once than twice.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

kattiar

#11 Post by kattiar »

Good for you :D.
Now for the fun part...living on ice cream.

badbraces

#12 Post by badbraces »

Meowmei wrote: I HAVE JUST DONE IT. That was so intense, but I'm glad I got them all over and done with - would definitely not have returned after the first time.

just wondering how is the removal process was it painful no pain at all? I'm afraid I'm going to have nightmare as I still have a few weeks before the process! :cry:

Lovespain5

#13 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:

just wondering how is the removal process was it painful no pain at all? I'm afraid I'm going to have nightmare as I still have a few weeks before the process! :cry:
No, it wasn't painful. Not for me. So you will finally have the 4 bicuspids extracted?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Catpotat

#14 Post by Catpotat »

badbraces wrote: just wondering how is the removal process was it painful no pain at all? I'm afraid I'm going to have nightmare as I still have a few weeks before the process! :cry:
Not gonna lie to you - it was painful for me. Mainly because of the many injections of anaesthesia required and I was scared, but the actual tooth pulling itself was not too bad. The process was like this:

1) numbing paste applied to gums
2) injections to numb all the areas
3) assistant gently held jaw while dentist forcefully wiggled each tooth out
4) cleaned up and bit down on gauze to stop the bleeding
(4 teeth removed in approximately 1 hour)

As I mentioned, try listening to music to distract your mind.
Also singing "heads and shoulders, knees and toes" in my head was indispensable.

There was slight pain for the next few hours and it was difficult to swallow pain killers. The worst part about it all is feeling the gaps there afterwards. It's very strange. But whether it's painful or not, you will get through it. It's been 36 hours since my extractions and I feel much better already. It's okay to be afraid, just remember you will heal - take it one day at a time :)

badbraces

#15 Post by badbraces »

thank you for the step by step experience! that sounds ok I guess.
Lovespain5 wrote: No, it wasn't painful. Not for me. So you will finally have the 4 bicuspids extracted?
I'm hopeful that my bicuspids gets extracted next month as I can't see any movement of my protrusion!