Question about Essix retainers. Cheap options?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shinyam

Question about Essix retainers. Cheap options?

#1 Post by shinyam »

Hi, I have not been on this site for ages! I had braces done twice, starting about ten years ago!

First time doing braces was a nightmare. The guy turned out to be only a dentist who did braces, not an orthodontist. Two years of wasted "treatment" and about $4k was wasted. The second was a great ortho who and I have been extremely happy with the results.

During my five year ordeal I was on ArchWired many times to seek advice, vent, and read other's stories. It was nice to have a community of supportive people who understood what you were going through, and who shared the same feelings and challenges. I am very grateful for this website and its owner.

A week ago my upper lingual retainer broke (after five years?). I HATED having a permanent upper retainer, so I decided to replace it with an Essix, removable retainer. It cost me about $400 CDN, which is about $300 US. Very expensive.

However, I just found out that these last only a couple years! Is this true? Can anyone who has had them tell me how long they last? They seem prone to warping and tearing.

Also, I came across a website http://www.dental-lab-direct.com/ that supposedly sends them through the mail. You get a kit and send in your impressions. However, I learned that another company (Neonbrite) does the same thing and has many complaints, and is basically a scam.

Has anyone ever gotten Essix retainers through the mail from these companies or elsewhere, and if if so, were the retainers any good?

Thanks in advance for your responses! It's nice to be back here. :)

shinyam

Re: Question about Essix retainers. Cheap options?

#2 Post by shinyam »

http://kutv.com/clear-retain

http://www.clearretain.com/

Actually, I found the above news story on Clear Retain, and it seems legit. I regret buying my retainers. :(

ODL

#3 Post by ODL »

There are a bunch of companies trying to sidestep the dentist, but the results are not very good. They do send you a kit but the impression material is not good and its difficult to get an accurate one to send back. Since an invisible ret covers all surfaces of your teeth the impression needs to be super accurate.My suggestion is get it done right. Unfortunately invisibles only last 6-12 months.

ljms

#4 Post by ljms »

First, let me start by saying, $400CDN for an Essix retainer!? Are they crazy!? Seriously?

I don't know where you are but I'd start shopping around locally before going the online route.

I'm in Winnipeg and my orthodontist charges $145CDN for one Hawley. I believe the charge for an Essix is $100CDN.

Essix retainers don't last long, only 6 to 12 months. According to the information I received when I got my braces off, they don't retain as well either and should only be worn in conjunction with permanent or Hawley retainers.

jfriend33

#5 Post by jfriend33 »

Don't do the at home kit. They are ridiculous and hard to do. I have a friend that did it for retainers and for whitening. Horrible experience.

I would make sure your teeth are in pretty good shape and still straight, because if they have relapsed a little, your ortho or dentist can do some minor tooth movement without having to be in braces.

I am getting permanent upper and lower v-lopp retainers to floss easily, and also clear essix to wear in the daytime and hawleys at night.

lmk

#6 Post by lmk »

I have a lower essix retainer (along with a bonded) and I was told that the essix needs to be replaced after a year. Even if it looks perfectly fine because apparently it loosens up over time.

I personally wouldn't do the online retainer thing. My first retainer didn't fit my teeth properly and the impressions were done by the ortho assistant who does that every day. If i tried to do my own impressions, I'd fear the retainer was made just a tad off and it could possibly shift my teeth. Wouldnt be worth the savings in the end.

shinyam

#7 Post by shinyam »

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm glad I checked in on Archwired. It is DEFINITELY not worth saving a few bucks to have your teeth relapse and need braces again!

ljms, that is so cheap! I live in Alberta, and this is the only province where dentists have no fee schedule. They can charge what they want. My last cleaning and exam was $400!

I will have to visit Winniipeg to get my retainer! That is so cheap!

jfriend33

#8 Post by jfriend33 »

shinyam wrote:Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm glad I checked in on Archwired. It is DEFINITELY not worth saving a few bucks to have your teeth relapse and need braces again!

ljms, that is so cheap! I live in Alberta, and this is the only province where dentists have no fee schedule. They can charge what they want. My last cleaning and exam was $400!

my lord. i dont have dental insurance. i pay 200 a year for two people for two cleanings and xrays per person, as well as 50-75% off fillings, crowns, etc. that is just crazy! i also pay 25 for my 3 month cleanings at a dental school

shinyam

#9 Post by shinyam »

Wow, that is cheap! I am being fleeced. :( Dental insurance is not worth buying privately. The premiums are the same as the max benefits per year. :(

ljms

#10 Post by ljms »

shinyam wrote: ljms, that is so cheap! I live in Alberta, and this is the only province where dentists have no fee schedule. They can charge what they want. My last cleaning and exam was $400!

That explains that! My last cleaning, incuding xrays, was $200.

Hopping two provincial borders might be a bit much but it may be worth it to check out the costs in BC or SK.

I'm not sure if you know this or not but there is a federal tax credit for health care costs not covered by insurance. It's based on how much you spent vs how much you made. It may not be much, but it's something.