After 3 months with braces I decided to stop my treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jasv

After 3 months with braces I decided to stop my treatment

#1 Post by jasv »

As the title indicates after having braces for 3 months I decided to get them off. I am not happy with the facial changes. I used to have quite slim face, but after getting braces my face has started to become very round with no definition whatsover. I look so chubby that I can't even look at myself anymore. Before braces I was rather pleased with what I look like, but now I literally hate myself :cry: and I really regret getting them back on. I'm afraid I will never look like I used to look before braces, and this thought makes me want to cry. I have the appointment scheduled in two weeks time and I just can't wait to have them off. However, I feel quite guilty that I couldn't manage to complete the treatment, but I just can't carry on this self-destruction. It's been my second time with braces due to open bite. I'm sorry for all the negative energy but I feel very depressed :(

djspeece

Re: After 3 months with braces I decided to stop my treatment

#2 Post by djspeece »

Do what you need to do -- braces aren't for everyone, for sure. I'm at a loss to understand how braces in and of themselves could cause the changes you describe, but in any event I wish you the best of luck.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

bez

#3 Post by bez »

Sorry to hear this but 3 months in is not your final look. I would give it some more time. Maybe share your concerns with your ortho or ask for second opinions.

Felina Grimm

#4 Post by Felina Grimm »

Your face looks rounder because the brackets make your mouth and cheeks stick out more. It happened to me because I have a small mouth, so the effect the brackets give is more noticeable. It's temporary. I suggest you reconsider.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

jasv

#5 Post by jasv »

I did share my concerns with my ortho around 1,5 months ago, but it's not getting any better; I feel like it's only getting worse and I just can't stand any another day with braces on :(

Clarmik

#6 Post by Clarmik »

Your facial features will go back to normal once the braces are removed.

I think you need to ask yourself if you would rather have a "chubby" face for a little while or crooked teeth for the rest of your life?

lmk

#7 Post by lmk »

I agree with above post, your features will return to normal after braces. At first I hated how big my mouth looked with braces and then just got used to it. After braces everything looked back to how it was before but with perfectly straight teeth.

Tyrantblade

#8 Post by Tyrantblade »

I agree that you were a bit impatient and should start up treatment again, wait things out, and then you will be so happy at the end.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

cdmoses6

#9 Post by cdmoses6 »

Hey there! I can totally relate to how you feel. I noticed some facial changes as well and I was not very happy. My husband even mentioned it! I was freaking out thinking... Great, I pay all this money and I ended up looking worse?! However, I stuck it out and I just got my braces off yesterday just shy of having them on for 17 months. I am thrilled with the result! Even when my teeth were straight with braces, it was nearly impossible to visualize what I would look like without them. It sounds like you are having some severe anxiety though. If having braces is causing you this much turmoil, it would be better for your mental health to have them off. Do what you know is best for you. In the end, it's about your health and happiness regardless of anything else. Best wishes to you! :flowerbloom:
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

jasv

#10 Post by jasv »

Thank you all for your replies and support! I think I might decide on taking them off though. I will let you know in over a week

Bracingmyself33

#11 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Is there any noticeable changes in your alignment or bite?

I'm 1.5 months into mine and I noticed a bottom tooth straightening and more gaps noted to create more space for my overcrowding. I am comforted by these small changes occurring on a daily basis. It almost felt as though my fuller lips, slightly sunken cheeks (due to 6 extractions) and slight lisp are all worth it. :heart:

I was once in your shoes; dying to have my braces removed. I didn't care if my bite or alignment had change. I just wanted them out. But thank god for my supportive husband and family, and of course fellow forumers, I didn't.

Don't worry about the temporary current physical changes. Remind yourself of the initial reason why you wanted braces! And we are always our own worst critics.

Hang in there!

LisainTX

#12 Post by LisainTX »

Hi Jasv,
I have to tell you- and you'll think I am crazy but I read this post last Friday and I actually thought about you off and on all weekend. I was kinda worrying about you and I don't even know you!
This makes me feel bad because I am sure that you put a heck of a lot of time, effort and money into your braces. I think you should get more opinions about what you are seeing. I personally find that the orthodontist I see is an all right guy but he is not a fountain of information. However- the tech I see is amazing. She answers all of my questions and concerns. She's like my new tooth fairy/big sister.
For example, I noticed that my bottom teeth have lined up beautifully....you look across them and pretty....pretty....then whoops! They look like they just drop on the left side - hard to describe but I tell people I have a crooked grin like my dog now!
So I ask the blessed tooth fairy sister about this last week and she more or less calls me a goofus and says that's going to eventually line up and be fine. She says later in my treatment those teeth will come up to meet the others, etc.
TMI...I know. But my point is, please ask other people. I have never ever heard or read of someone's face becoming rounder/larger after braces. I am thinking it is temporary OR that there is another cause that perhaps can be fixed. I mean, I'd probably check with my doctor too and make sure there's not something else. Have you changed your diet or started any meds that can cause some inflammation, perhaps? There are a lot of things that can make a face look fuller for weird reasons.
(Sigh)...fact is, I care. I really hope that you don't take them off because I think its a temporary thing and that its going to go away or be fixed.
I even wonder if the braces have caused you to chew (or try to chew) differently and you are building up some jaw muscles.
Girl, things will shift, change.....all that! Please get more advise and if your ortho acts like its no big deal just say, Hey-Dude (or Dudette)!! I am seriously not happy and you need to LISTEN to me because you are about to lose me as a patient. If they don't care, I'd take my biz elsewhere. I'm sure it can be done and how to do it is probably on this board somewhere. Your ortho team needs to instill some confidence in you on what the heck they are doing. If they don't, they aren't doing a good job. Hell, I'd even consider a consultation with a different place.
PLEASE keep us posted.

Ziggy

#13 Post by Ziggy »

I'm now 5 months in. I think the problem may be that when we look in the mirror we don't often see the same thing others do. I'm betting you see a chubby face but others don't. This is like the anorexic person who can't lose enough weight. Others see them as extremely skinny but they see themselves as too fat. As others have said it your choice, but I would definitely talk to my ortho and your friends to see what they think.

jasv

#14 Post by jasv »

Thank you for your massive support! I talked with my ortho today, but she didn't say anything informative about unfortunately. I didn't get the braces off yet. We scheduled regular appointment in three weeks, however, if I decide on getting them off I have to call her and we'll make a different appointment because she needs more time to take them off. I'm torn. I'd like to close the gap, but I don't think I can manage to finish the treatment :(

djspeece

#15 Post by djspeece »

jasv wrote:Thank you for your massive support! I talked with my ortho today, but she didn't say anything informative about unfortunately. I didn't get the braces off yet. We scheduled regular appointment in three weeks, however, if I decide on getting them off I have to call her and we'll make a different appointment because she needs more time to take them off. I'm torn. I'd like to close the gap, but I don't think I can manage to finish the treatment :(
I suspect many of us questioned our ability to finish the treatment, especially in the early stages. It gets better when you take one meal at a time, then one day at a time, then a week, then appointments, and so forth. Time did not fly by for me. Every time I wanted to get romantic with Kipipeo I had to pause and take out those &^%!-ing elastics. I felt denied corn on the cob for my three year sentence. The fact that you have at least temporarily postponed removal is a good sign, I think. I also thought my face looked a bit more "rounded" but realized I was obsessing a bit and that it was getting rounder because of all the damn Reese's Peanut Butter Cups I was chowing down. Yes, I have issues. Don't even get me started.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying