Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

badbraces

Re: Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

#16 Post by badbraces »

I guess so, I'm not really sure how they will fit :( I wanted extractions so I can see the teeth move, wanted to ask anyone here who have tried not getting extractions with extreme protrusion like mine

Lovespain5

#17 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:I guess so, I'm not really sure how they will fit :( I wanted extractions so I can see the teeth move, wanted to ask anyone here who have tried not getting extractions with extreme protrusion like mine
Do you have your wisdom teeth or had they already been extracted?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

badbraces

#18 Post by badbraces »

5 wisdom teeth surgically extracted but I have no more space in my mouth because my dentist says my jaw is small and my teeth are regular sized. I really think my bicuspids need to be extracted. I know it's only been 4 days since my braces but I was hoping for a faster pace so I can close my mouth :cry:

Catpotat

#19 Post by Catpotat »

[quote="badbraces"]finally scheduled my braces for monday!

question, is the extraction of bicuspids after getting braces? I thought they were going to be extracted before installing the braces.[/quote]

How are the braces going Badbraces? :) Hope you're not in too much pain.
I'm getting extractions on Monday (already had braces on for a few weeks now) and the reason my ortho chose to extract after is that the gaps can begin closing immediately. They'll take the arch wire off, you go get extractions by the dentist and go back to the ortho asap to replace the wires.

Catpotat

#20 Post by Catpotat »

[quote="badbraces"]thanks lovespain!

I've made a gif on the possible before and after of my protrusion, I measured the 2x 1st bicuspid top to be removed and the 2x 2nd lower bicuspid. Hopefully this will be the result! and I can finally close my mouth properly
http://imgur.com/a/yNCKs[/quote]

Nice gif Badbraces, I think your back teeth will also move forward as well though? So the distance of movement in your gif will be approximately halved. I also have protrusion and asked to have my front teeth moved back as much as possible, but the ortho said the only way to achieve this is to insert screws into the bone and use elastics to pull the teeth back *_*

Lovespain5

#21 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:5 wisdom teeth surgically extracted but I have no more space in my mouth because my dentist says my jaw is small and my teeth are regular sized. I really think my bicuspids need to be extracted. I know it's only been 4 days since my braces but I was hoping for a faster pace so I can close my mouth :cry:
5 wisdom teeth? :)
So you initially had 33 teeth? So one extra-tooth? :)
Maybe as all your wisdom teeth had been extracted the ortho has found place enough to retract your jaws without extractions.
Because lacking 8 teeth is too much in my opinion, and maybe this of your orthodontist... I don't defend automatically extractions.
I personnally lack my 4 first bicuspids but I have all my wisdom teeth.

Lovespain5

#22 Post by Lovespain5 »

Meowmei wrote:
badbraces wrote:thanks lovespain!

I've made a gif on the possible before and after of my protrusion, I measured the 2x 1st bicuspid top to be removed and the 2x 2nd lower bicuspid. Hopefully this will be the result! and I can finally close my mouth properly
http://imgur.com/a/yNCKs
Nice gif Badbraces, I think your back teeth will also move forward as well though? So the distance of movement in your gif will be approximately halved. I also have protrusion and asked to have my front teeth moved back as much as possible, but the ortho said the only way to achieve this is to insert screws into the bone and use elastics to pull the teeth back *_*
My back teeth had been moved slightly forward when the ortho gave my the class III elastics to move back the lower jaw (it's normal to move both jaws back in a case of bimax protrusion like mine) but my upper front teeth had been moved back much without any anchorage, only thanks to the class II elastics (the more I used) and the powerchains. The ortho had installed a special arch with loops too to reinforce the moving back of my arches. The retraction of my upper arch had been of more than 7 millimeters. And after the closing of the gaps the lower jaw is put slightly forward in the aim to create a contact between the upper and the lower teeth. So my profile had improved a lot without surgery or bone screws.

badbraces

#23 Post by badbraces »

I have 8 excess teeth! My previous dentist from 10 years ago said she had never seen someone with so much extra teeth! My current dentist says I have unusual teeth as well because I still have 1 extra wisdom tooth but it's small but it's shaped like a full wisdom tooth. :lol:
Meowmei wrote:How are the braces going Badbraces? :) Hope you're not in too much pain.
I'm getting extractions on Monday (already had braces on for a few weeks now) and the reason my ortho chose to extract after is that the gaps can begin closing immediately. They'll take the arch wire off, you go get extractions by the dentist and go back to the ortho asap to replace the wires.
I doing well thanks! My only problem is that I cannot eat my food properly :( I find that swallowing my food whole is the best option to remove the pain from chewing, but I'm worried I might get stomach pain
Meowmei wrote:back teeth will also move forward as well though? So the distance of movement in your gif will be approximately halved. I also have protrusion and asked to have my front teeth moved back as much as possible, but the ortho said the only way to achieve this is to insert screws into the bone and use elastics to pull the teeth back *_*

I'm hoping it wouldn't be halved as I really want the protrusion gone, hoping that my molars stay where they are and the only thing that's moving are my front teeth. oh no I don't want screws in my mouth, the dentist didn't mention about this :(

Catpotat

#24 Post by Catpotat »

Meowmei wrote:How are the braces going Badbraces? :) Hope you're not in too much pain.
I doing well thanks! My only problem is that I cannot eat my food properly :( I find that swallowing my food whole is the best option to remove the pain from chewing, but I'm worried I might get stomach pain
Meowmei wrote:back teeth will also move forward as well though? So the distance of movement in your gif will be approximately halved. I also have protrusion and asked to have my front teeth moved back as much as possible, but the ortho said the only way to achieve this is to insert screws into the bone and use elastics to pull the teeth back *_*

I'm hoping it wouldn't be halved as I really want the protrusion gone, hoping that my molars stay where they are and the only thing that's moving are my front teeth. oh no I don't want screws in my mouth, the dentist didn't mention about this :([/quote]

Don't worry you probably won't need screws! :lol: But it is an option if you want maximum retraction. I had terribly painful bowel movements from not being able to chew my food properly, please try to eat slowly and regularly so you don't get hungry and try to devour a big meal - an arduous task with braces on! :P

badbraces

#25 Post by badbraces »

oh I see, I would want a maximum retraction! But my dentist didn't mention anything about screws (sounds very painful)

I'm doing a lot better today chewing has been a lot more comfortable (day 6) but there's still pain.

badbraces

#26 Post by badbraces »

Aleardy 1+ month with braces, just changed elastics and the wire last 25th. My dentist still insisted not having my premolars removed! :( She says to wait for 3-4 months to see movement of teeth coming in.

I really don't want to wait that long! I've been dreaming of having a non-protruding mouth but it seems to long to wait :cry:

Lovespain5

#27 Post by Lovespain5 »

Ok. Wait and see...
But for what reason does your orthodontist reject bicuspid extractions?

Scottmc87

#28 Post by Scottmc87 »

[quote="badbraces"]Aleardy 1+ month with braces, just changed elastics and the wire last 25th. My dentist still insisted not having my premolars removed! :( She says to wait for 3-4 months to see movement of teeth coming in.

I really don't want to wait that long! I've been dreaming of having a non-protruding mouth but it seems to long to wait :cry:[/quote]

4 months isn't that bad! I had the same issue and my ortho said no to extractions. It's better to keep them if you can!

Lovespain5

#29 Post by Lovespain5 »

Scottmc87 wrote:
badbraces wrote:Aleardy 1+ month with braces, just changed elastics and the wire last 25th. My dentist still insisted not having my premolars removed! :( She says to wait for 3-4 months to see movement of teeth coming in.

I really don't want to wait that long! I've been dreaming of having a non-protruding mouth but it seems to long to wait :cry:
4 months isn't that bad! I had the same issue and my ortho said no to extractions. It's better to keep them if you can!

You have a bimaxillary protrusion too?

badbraces

#30 Post by badbraces »

dentist says it would be a waste to have them removed if it does move. But nothing seems to be moving! Finally convinced my dentist to start removing my teeth, had 2 removed yesterday. I feel very miserable eating but I'm happy :)