Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

assertives

Re: Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

#61 Post by assertives »

What kind of gaps are they? Perhaps you can bring it up to your ortho and ask her if those gaps can be closed. There are some gaps such as black triangles that cannot be closed by elastics or powerchains and will not improve on its own.

Those would probably only improve to some degree with some shaving of your teeth to help them fit better together. If you think your bite is good enough and the gaps indeed cannot be closed further, perhaps you can insist that you want the braces off already.

badbraces

#62 Post by badbraces »

thanks! I'll be having my monthly adjustment tomorrow.
The thing is she just keeps saying it's almost over for the past 10 months but last month she just told me that she wants to move my 1st molar closer and it will longer. (my 2nd molar doesn't even have a bracket?) I really don't want this because I even want my teeth pulled back more.

the gaps are just free gaps that food get stuck in between a lot.

here are some updated pics of my teeth:
side view
side view opened a little

front view

side view relaxed

side closed before and after sorry after pic is very blurred.

sadly I still have lip incompetence but it has greatly been reduced, I do think it's because I have a longer chin.
I am very happy with my progress, I can see through pictures and videos that my teeth aren't flared out anymore so I'm more confident with my laugh and smile. OMG they really looked awful before :oops:
but I wish these braces would be removed asap because I really don't like them.

assertives

#63 Post by assertives »

It really does look like you still have some protrusion, but your teeth have really improved alot! As for the gaps, if you are talking about the ones between your lower front teeth, I suspect those are black triangles which would only be improved by some degree with some shaving of the teeth to help them fit better together. I'm not sure a powerchain will do much.

My advise is still to hang in there until the ortho says it's good enough to come off. You've already invested this much time, energy and money plus I'm sure you don't want to be getting braces for the third time later.

badbraces

#64 Post by badbraces »

thanks! I will inform her of the shaving as she didn't mention this. I am thinking of having gingivectomy because I have small teeth.

I am really happy with how videos of myself now turn out. I powerlift and do weightlifting and post videos of my lifts and have been very confident now that my teeth aren't flared out! I really look good! It's one of the reasons why I got braces for the 2nd time. I tried to take a video of myself and hated how my mouth and teeth looked liked :oops:

One of the reasons why I also hate my ortho is because she rarely responds to having my monthly appointments. I think it's very unprofessional. I also don't want to fight her because she might get my teeth wrong :cry:

Lovespain5

#65 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:44 pm thanks! I will inform her of the shaving as she didn't mention this. I am thinking of having gingivectomy because I have small teeth.

I am really happy with how videos of myself now turn out. I powerlift and do weightlifting and post videos of my lifts and have been very confident now that my teeth aren't flared out! I really look good! It's one of the reasons why I got braces for the 2nd time. I tried to take a video of myself and hated how my mouth and teeth looked liked :oops:

One of the reasons why I also hate my ortho is because she rarely responds to having my monthly appointments. I think it's very unprofessional. I also don't want to fight her because she might get my teeth wrong :cry:
The improvement is here. When my gaps were completely closed I had to keep on wearing my Class II rubber bands with extra-heavy strength for some months to end up totally with my bimax protrusion and achieve a perfect occlusion. The lower part of my face has become a little bit longer too after the treatment : this is normal because the soft tissues change with the retraction, the nasolabial and the mentolabial angles become greater as the teeth go back.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

badbraces

#66 Post by badbraces »

I'm not wearing any bands. a bit sad really because I think my ortho is taking her time and I don't know what to tell her anymore as I've already said I want to remove them ASAP. :(

noo... I don't want my face longer :(

Lovespain5

#67 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:46 am I'm not wearing any bands. a bit sad really because I think my ortho is taking her time and I don't know what to tell her anymore as I've already said I want to remove them ASAP. :(

noo... I don't want my face longer :(
In fact that's barely visible.

badbraces

#68 Post by badbraces »

I'm very unhappy with how my adjustments are going.

It has been 1+ years(since september 2017) for not wearing powerchains on my lower portion and this gap is betting bigger. I hate food getting stuck in between :(

I feel like my dentist is prolonging my braces. I keep on saying why no powerchains and she's saying that my teeth are already closed but it's clearly not. She's saying that those are already cosmetic gaps?

assertives

#69 Post by assertives »

I'm pretty sure that's not a cosmetic gap. It's a pretty large gap that should be closed. I would say to bring that photo and show it to your ortho at your next appointment or maybe even email him beforehand.

badbraces

#70 Post by badbraces »

I will talk to her. I also have other gaps but not as bad as this one. :( I'm pretty bummed with how she's handling my teeth. I may sue her for what she's doing but I'll ask other orthos for input. Thanks!

SCeles33

#71 Post by SCeles33 »

Hey there, I can't show pictures as I'm new but I had a far worse case than you yet it is being resolved resolved by an excellent ortho.

I had a convex profile with an 8mm iirc overjet, teeth grinding, and protrusion. I needed 7 teeth extracted and it would have been a nightmare for a typical ortho. The one I chose, Dr. Eisinger in Monterey CA, was by and far the most expensive yet was truly excellent and recommended me to an excellent surgeon.

On this I did a crap ton of research and if at any point I doubted him I would have asked for a second opinion. But everything he said I agreed with. That is the clincher.

Your gut is usually right. I know it's costly to switch but as this is your face and the changes made here on out are permanent, if I were you I'd skip this one and find someone who agrees with you.

Although I'm not a professional, in my case the teeth gaps were never there as my ortho used stops so my teeth moved as a single unit and didn't stray.

Lastly I'm really sorry you're going through this.This isn't fair to you but it's not too late.

Go look on yelp, do a lot of research, be proactive and don't settle.

badbraces

#72 Post by badbraces »

thank you SCeles33!

sadly I can't stand braces anymore and want them removed after this and I don't ever want another procedure. I find braces to be uncomfortable and flossing daily with them on is unbearable :( I miss eating peanuts too!

After months of insisting of closing the upper gaps my ortho has now placed powerchains. The lower side of my teeth still has a tiny gap though.

here a pic of the gap

she says she won't close it anymore because my teeth are already so tilted back. :( I'm wondering what effect this will have after removing them :cry:

Lovespain5

#73 Post by Lovespain5 »

That´s nice from your ortho. Powerchains will work well. Be patient. When I see the last photo, your upper arch looks smaller than before without doubts. Dont forget that I had my braces for 32 months. The main goal of the treatment is to achieve a straight profile which you will reach soon!

badbraces

#74 Post by badbraces »

mine's already going 32 months next session, I'm just upset why my ortho didn't use powerchains for the longest time :(

Teslathecat

#75 Post by Teslathecat »

[quote=badbraces post_id=506860 time=1550759707 user_id=27713]
mine's already going 32 months next session, I'm just upset why my ortho didn't use powerchains for the longest time :(
[/quote]

I've been in braces for 43 months now and the end is near. Like you, I had extractions, but in my case, my teeth were pulled back a bit too much that the upper incisors look slanted inward from the side view. It's been a year since the ortho tried to push/relax the upper teeth so they don't look as slanted, but then gaps would just open up. Then we are in the circle of flaring teeth out, closing gap, flaring... Hang in there, I'm sure it will be over soon for you too :).