Closing extraction gaps

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelac19

Re: Closing extraction gaps

#16 Post by angelac19 »

It's all timing that's correct. All my teeth have brackets now and no more gaps between my molars. Have a 1mm gap left one of my extraction sites and I think I'm in the home stretch after that!

Braced on 1/7/16
Estimated brace removal: 12/31/17
Traditional metal braces top and bottom
4 premolars extracted

If you want to follow my Braces Story on Archwired: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=50533

Check out my Braces Blog (for more details) at: https://angelasjourney.wordpress.com/

supwrsueee

#17 Post by supwrsueee »

I recently got my extractions done about two weeks ago for my first premolars, top and bottom. I am also extremely nervous about it.

angelac19

#18 Post by angelac19 »

supwrsueee wrote:I recently got my extractions done about two weeks ago for my first premolars, top and bottom. I am also extremely nervous about it.
Congrats on getting braced and extracted! It was scary for me to decide to get 4 perfectly healthy teeth extracted too but I do not regret it at ALL. It's been over a year now and I love how it turned out. If you want to read my blog, it could help ease some anxiety... :D
Here's the link:
https://angelasjourney.wordpress.com/

Braced on 1/7/16
Estimated brace removal: 12/31/17
Traditional metal braces top and bottom
4 premolars extracted

If you want to follow my Braces Story on Archwired: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=50533

Check out my Braces Blog (for more details) at: https://angelasjourney.wordpress.com/

YankeeFan62

#19 Post by YankeeFan62 »

My situation is as follows:
Through my own neglect I have to have the roots of Tooth #3 extracted (tooth broke several times and is down to the gum line). My orthodontist is recommending a bone graft at the socket site to optimize bone health. He then wants to correct max right posterior crossbite and mesialize tooth #2 to close the space at maxillary right.

These are the orthodontist's words. Can anyone explain what they mean?

Thank you for anyone who can help.

assertives

#20 Post by assertives »

Meaning you have a crossbite on your right side at the back of your mouth which he is going to correct, and then move tooth no. 2 forward to close the gap.

YankeeFan62

#21 Post by YankeeFan62 »

That much I understand.

The part I wanted to know about is how he plans to mesialize tooth #2. I have researched the word mesialize and what I found doesn't look like fun.

I haven't seen the actual treatment plan yet nor have I signed any papers for the treatment. All he has really told me is that I would be in braces for about 2 years.

The info on the treatment was from an email that he sent to my regular dentist concerning his plan so the my regular dentist and the orthodontist can coordinate my treatment. The orthodontist CCed me a copy of his email.

I am excited to get the treatment started, but by the same token I want to know what I am getting into.

assertives

#22 Post by assertives »

YankeeFan62 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 am That much I understand.

The part I wanted to know about is how he plans to mesialize tooth #2. I have researched the word mesialize and what I found doesn't look like fun.

I haven't seen the actual treatment plan yet nor have I signed any papers for the treatment. All he has really told me is that I would be in braces for about 2 years.

The info on the treatment was from an email that he sent to my regular dentist concerning his plan so the my regular dentist and the orthodontist can coordinate my treatment. The orthodontist CCed me a copy of his email.

I am excited to get the treatment started, but by the same token I want to know what I am getting into.
Why don't you ask him to explain to you how he plans to do it? Since he cc-ed you in that email to your dentist, I would think he is open about it. He would be the best person to explain to you in layman terms.

Don't hesitate to ask your ortho if you like to know, most orthos usually don't explain technical terms in details because most patients don't care to know or can't understand anyway, but if you'll like to know and are interested in the hows and whys, ask your ortho. It took me awhile to start asking my ortho alot of questions too, in the beginning, he seemed a little defensive as if I was questioning his decisions, but in time to come, he realised that I just am curious about it, so now he takes the time to explain to me.

pcspinheiro

#23 Post by pcspinheiro »

mesialize = move forward