open coil springs

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmouthat27

open coil springs

#1 Post by metalmouthat27 »

Hi everyone,

I have had my braces on for almost 2 weeks now. I have these two open coils on my upper central incisors connecting to my canines to make space for my lateral incisors to come through. Now that I have gotten used to the coils they don't really bother me too bad but I have noticed when I'm sleeping my lips get really dry and they stick to the coils which is a bit uncomfortable. Luckily I have no cuts or anything yet so I'm thankful for that. I haven't had much luck getting the wax to stick to the coils :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these coils and how long you guys had to wear them for? Also, have you guys noticed having drier/chapped lips since being braced? I found that I am always putting on chapstick now haha

Thanks in advance for reading/sharing your stories and tips with me!

Beckett

Re: open coil springs

#2 Post by Beckett »

I am going through lip balm like crazy since I got my braces on! It's nuts. I don't have coils, but I do have the cheeks/lips sticking to everything else problem when I wake up in the morning. I wonder if I'm not drinking enough water during the day and that might contribute to the problem.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

anchs3

#3 Post by anchs3 »

I've had two coil springs in now for about 5 months now since I put my braces on to make space for my canines to come through (and a third about two months ago but for a different reason). They were the most annoying part because they made my lips jut out a lot, especially at the start before they started shortening the spring. Personally, two of them made my mouth very sore when I moved my mouth around and were very irritating (though since you've got them around your lateral incisors instead of canines I can see why yours would graze your mouth less). I tried putting wax on it but it never stuck on, BUT I did get used to them pretty fast (within 1 or 2 months almost definitely but I can't remember how long exactly) and unlike the brackets they don't give pain again when the wire's retightened.

I asked my orthos when they'd take them out and if I recall right I think they said when the teeth are down about 80% through so that brackets can be stuck on them properly, so it could be a while unfortunately.

metalmouthat27

#4 Post by metalmouthat27 »

Thanks for your replies!

Darn, I guess that means I'll probably have to wear them for quite some time as my right lateral incisor is pretty rotated. I have my first adjustment on Aug 24 so I will ask my ortho about the coils then. I am hoping though that I could have at least one of the coils taken out (on the left side) as now there is a noticeable gap between my lateral incisor and the central incisor. Fingers crossed!

purplestar

#5 Post by purplestar »

My left lateral incisor was totally hidden behind my front incisor and canine, I had open spring coils for about 6-7 months, then only had a bracket put on my left lateral incisor. As for my right lateral incisor, half of it was hidden behind my front incisor, and i had coil spring for about 4-5 months, in between it was being removed for a month. I guess my ortho plan to let the tooth to move/rotate by itself but this didnt work, so she put it back.
My lips is dried when I wake up in the morning, and i apply lip balm everyday, with or without braces, so it doesnt make too much difference to me.
I was doing fine with the coil springs but both my lateral incisors hurt a lot after we put on the bracket and moving them forward.

metalmouthat27

#6 Post by metalmouthat27 »

Right now my both my upper lateral incisors are not tied into the archwire. I guess they are both so far behind the tooth/rotated that it couldn't be tied in right away? Since having the coils though I have this noticeable gap now on the left side, so I am hoping at my next adjustment my ortho will remove that coil and then tie in the upper left lateral incisor to the archwire.

Do you know how to post pictures on here?

Thanks!

Caitrm

#7 Post by Caitrm »

I just got my coil off, i had it for about 6-7 weeks. By far the worst part of having braces lol. It gave me a lisp, and constantly irritated the inside of my mouth (especially when I talked a lot). I was so happy when they took it off!

EWUgal15

#8 Post by EWUgal15 »

metalmouthat27 wrote: I have noticed when I'm sleeping my lips get really dry and they stick to the coils which is a bit uncomfortable.
Put on chapstick or lip balm before you go to sleep at night. I have the same problem with my retainers. A little bit of chapstick goes a long way and washes off in the shower the next morning.

Bounded

#9 Post by Bounded »

Ahh, I remember the first month, my lips were so dry, I had to carry a big jar of Vaseline with me everywhere I went lol. My lips still get dry sometimes but not as much

HassanalHaikal

Open Coil Springs

#10 Post by HassanalHaikal »

So, I just got my braces yesterday. I've noticed that the springs on my braces are loose. Loose meaning that I can slide the springs over the wire forward and backward. Is this normal?

Ziggy

#11 Post by Ziggy »

Unless you are into all the flavors, sometimes the best thing for your lips is plain old Vaseline.

metalmouthat27

#12 Post by metalmouthat27 »

I just had my adjustment today and they took off the coil on the left side! Woo-hoo! But sadly I still need to wear it on the right side, my ortho said hopefully at the next adjustment we can take it off. I can't wait til it comes off!! The most annoying thing for me about having coils is that it sticks out so much that every time I smile my darn lip catches on it! Hahaha

Yes I have been using lots of lip balm to help with my dry lips. I also keep water beside my bed so if I wake up in the night or first thing in the morning I'll have some water handy.

As for HassanalHaikal (I'm sorry I don't know how to do the quote box thing) the coil that I have is not lose. I can move it a little bit but I have to push quite hard. I am not sure if we have the same type of coil though. If you have concerns about it I would definitely ask your ortho about it! I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I am quite new to braces and also new to this site.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

carrieann

#13 Post by carrieann »

Yes, Vaseline!! I use it on my lips every night. Much better and.longer lasting than balm.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

jjtimken

#14 Post by jjtimken »

i don't know what they are called but i have 4 coils on my braces, 2 are pushing ( open coils ? ) and 2 look like they were never stretched out, the orthodontist said these were there to maintain space. i can move the ones that aren't stretched around on the arch wire they aren't tight at all. the other 2 i can't move. i've never really had a problem getting was to stick to the coil, i just roll some wax into a thin roll and then flatten it out and make a line of wax going from the bracket on either side of the spring and wrap it around the spring slightly. the wax stays on nicely all day long ( :

starokada

#15 Post by starokada »

I've had push coils the last 2 months.. and have experienced drier lips :( I wear a ton of vaseline at night and during the day I have to constantly put lip balm on. Good luck to you.