Regretting my decision

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracingmyself33

Regretting my decision

#1 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

I apologize in advance for this pitiful post on myself.

I'm 33, with braces and I've never felt anymore depressed in my life. Had braces 6 days ago and regretting every moment of it. I have difficulties speaking due to the lisp and excessive saliva. I cry everyday and kept holding back the idea of begging my orthodontist to remove them, especially after extraction of 4 premolars.

My usual self is helpful, friendly and chirpy. But I'm feeling anxious, withdrawn and losing sleep over it. My job (clinical coordinator) requires me to speak a lot and I'm having problems speaking due to the lisp and excessive salivation. I'm also embarrassed to talk to my fellow colleagues.

I understand that it is still early for me to note any changes but I felt it's also a good time to decide if I should have them remove. Of course, it will be great to have a perfect smile but I'm not sure if this is for me...

littlething

Re: Regretting my decision

#2 Post by littlething »

It gets better, I swear! I was miserable my first 2 weeks or so in braces and had many of the thoughts you had. I am usually a very positive, upbeat person but I wanted to cry every day the first 2 weeks because I was in pain, couldn't eat, everything felt awkward, and the cleaning routine was overwhelming. I had to fight the urge to call my ortho to take the braces off.

After the first 2 weeks though, things got MUCH better and I got used to them. It all seemed hopeless during that initial adjustment period - and it IS an adjustment - and I never thought that things would get better, but they do. Just give it time. It will be worth it.

Good luck :)

Bracingmyself33

#3 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Littlething, I really appreciate your experience!

How long did you take to get use to the changes? I'm dreading every moment of it...

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

The few first months are the absolute worst, for sure. Then at some point you relax and the braces don't seem quite so horrible, and then you see some improvements, and then things seem messed up as teeth are moving and you start to feel like jumping off a bridge, then you realize that no one really cares about the braces and think the lisp and speech issues aren't bad at all, and life goes on. Are you a nurse or another clinical type (you mention you are a clinical coordinator). Hopefully your colleagues and patients have some degree of empathy. I had to pay more attention to speech and work at it, which was a bit of a hassle especially when I was tired. I cannot honestly say that during my three years that I ever enjoyed braces. I tolerated them, trying to keep my eyes on the goal. And frankly, I was not seeking some radical cosmetic change, so I was really second-guessing myself in the beginning. In the end, it was worth it and as time went on I came to accept them, more or less, and focused on the fun parts of my life and stayed busy so that I would not have time to dwell on them. At some point you'll begin to see and feel improvements, probably when you least expect them, and you'll see a ray of hope. You can get through this. Hang in there and come here and vent all you want. You can type "sufferin' succotash" without spitting all over everybody! That was one of the key phrases of one of my childhood cartoon characters. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Tyrantblade

#5 Post by Tyrantblade »

I think most of us had a moment early on when we were like "what have i gotten myself into", and for sure the bad things at the beginning are worse for some than others.

You just have to give it some time, things will get much better.

The worst thing you could do is stop treatment after you have had extractions already.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

Hang in there, eye on the prize. It does get better! Do you have any hobbies you do for enjoyment? I like to sew, and knit, and those both take my mind off the fact that I alternate between feeling like I have a mouthful of sharp Lego studs, or full of someone else's teeth. I admit I get anxious when I have to talk in front of people, but I think half of that is due to being an introvert and not just the braces. No one ever says anything about them, and I think I sound more lispy to myself than anyone else. No one really cares even if you do lisp a bit. And it's not really a lisp, it's saying letters like F and V because the air escapes between my lip and bracket now.

Do something you love, pamper yourself a bit, trust when we say it will get better. This board has been great for reducing my concerns. So much great info and advice here.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

Bracingmyself33

#7 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

@djspeece, I coordinate research projects involving patients. Thus the need to speak to patients, their families and of course, doctors.

@Beckett, I'm going back to yoga to take my mind off this issue. Exactly, a close co-worker actually told me that I speak slower now, and he noted how conscious I was when talking. I feel embarrassed!

I am also very anxious of the upcoming treatment plan my orthodontist have for me. She mentioned having the possibility to place 'blue mountains' which I'm assuming are molar built ups. Honestly, I'm beyond terrified. I'm so anxious that I'm losing sleep and spending every free moment googling on substitutes of molar built ups.

Can anyone advise me if there IS indeed hope for me to not have built ups?

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

I don't think that anyone can honestly give you any such hope, to be frank. Obviously you'll need to discuss your anxiety with your ortho, and specifically the molar build-ups. They may be essential to your treatment, or perhaps there is another way out. But no one here can tell you. In any event, best of luck to you.
Dan

Prometheus

#9 Post by Prometheus »

I got bite turbos when I did not expect them, they serve a similar purpose as molar build ups, to keep your front teeth from touching. While it is annoying, you get used to it pretty quickly. On the topic of being self conscious, I am a medical research scientist and just came from a meeting where I had to talk with 30 others, for three days. I struggled over a few words and simply repeated myself slowly in order to get them out. No one seemed to think anything of it and we had a good time. Most of us here move on from the "OMG what have I done" sort of worry to simply not caring, in short order. You can to. You are doing this for yourself, you should be proud you had the ambition to get your teeth fixed in the first place. As folks here often say, no one else really cares about them but you, you can rock them :D
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

Prometheus wrote:I got bite turbos when I did not expect them, they serve a similar purpose as molar build ups, to keep your front teeth from touching. While it is annoying, you get used to it pretty quickly. On the topic of being self conscious, I am a medical research scientist and just came from a meeting where I had to talk with 30 others, for three days. I struggled over a few words and simply repeated myself slowly in order to get them out. No one seemed to think anything of it and we had a good time. Most of us here move on from the "OMG what have I done" sort of worry to simply not caring, in short order. You can to. You are doing this for yourself, you should be proud you had the ambition to get your teeth fixed in the first place. As folks here often say, no one else really cares about them but you, you can rock them :D
Great response!
Dan

27braces88

#11 Post by 27braces88 »

I agree with everyone else here, it definitely gets better. I was so self conscious for the first few weeks even talking to the cashier in the supermarket but now I really don't think about it.

I had a bit of a lisp too for the few few weeks, but that's totally gone now. You mouth very quickly adjusts to the braces and you'll feel better in no time.

emily0709

#12 Post by emily0709 »

I'll echo everyone else. It gets better.

I am still new to it all, but it feels like forever! The good part about that is I nearly forget they are on there. Adjustments bring it back quickly, but once the pain fades it's normal again. A girl at my kids daycare was like "Aw you are so cute!" when I questioned her she said "Some people look adorable with braces."

I don't FEEL that way, but it is what it is. Take it one day at a time. Each day down is another day closer to removal!

princessdeed

#13 Post by princessdeed »

Agree with the above respondes, it gets better faster than you think! I'm not even two months in and I hardly remember the first two weeks where I absolutely hated my braces. I think once you start seeing improvement they will bother you less, at least that was the case for me. Good luck!

carrieann

#14 Post by carrieann »

The molar build ups aren't that bad, I only noticed them when they were put on and 3 days later I was used to them. At first they really irritated my inner cheeks. As for speaking, I noticed if I actually enunciated my words thoughtfully and clearly my speech is pretty good. It all will get better. Of course there will be uncomfortable days then you get used to it all over again.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

metalliKa

#15 Post by metalliKa »

The first few months are the hardest to adjust, so hang in there. You'll be amazed at how little people pay attention to your braces, even your speech. However, if you're having anxiety over this, maybe it's a good idea to go see a therapist. They're very good at listening.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554