is going through an airport with braces weird/awkward?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

is going through an airport with braces weird/awkward?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

Im going on a 1 week vacation next month (visiting family in another state) and just wondering if going through airport security will be weird/awkward.

I mean obviously i wouldn't be detained, but do braces clearly show up on their scans, or do they wonder what it is, or do they not show up at all?
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Lisamichelle18

Re: is going through an airport with braces weird/awkward?

#2 Post by Lisamichelle18 »

It's funny you post this because I'm going on vacation the first week in July and I was thinking the same thing :)

TheProfessor

#3 Post by TheProfessor »

I flew lots of times when I had braces and nothing weird ever happened when I went through security. There's not enough metal in braces to set off the THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. and I'm sure the security people know what braces look like. Enjoy your vacations! 8)
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

littlething

#4 Post by littlething »

I've flown several times since I got braced, and I wondered the same thing at first...but no, nothing happens!

metalliKa

#5 Post by metalliKa »

I flew numerous times during my treatment and I walked through security with a breeze.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

jaime

#6 Post by jaime »

I've flown with braces, a metal TPA, 4 plates, and multiple screws... and have yet to set off any THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR.. I think you're good!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

thenorw

#7 Post by thenorw »

I dont think it will be awkward, many people have braces. It is perfectly normal having braces at any time of your life, other people don't think about it.

Ziggy

#8 Post by Ziggy »

I would say when the first terrorist lights a fuse hanging out of his mouth we're all in trouble. Remember the shoe bomber? And you can thank the underwear bomber for those body scans.

daniken9

#9 Post by daniken9 »

No, not a big deal at all, you will be perfectly fine. I don't think it's the type of metal to set off THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR.. For example, I have titanium plates in my jaw from jaw surgery, but they don't set off THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. and I don't have to tell the TSA.

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

It's not enough metal to set off THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. if you go through one of those. And it won't show up on the body scanners if you go through one of those instead. (The body scanners can't penetrate skin.)