Sleep and biting inside of mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ouisel

Sleep and biting inside of mouth

#1 Post by ouisel »

I've had braces for about 6 months now to correct some bite issues and for the last month have woken up with really sore cheeks inside my mouth. It almost feels like I've been sucking them in during my sleep and my teeth have been like, chewing on the flesh that makes its way in, if that makes any sense at all?

Has anyone else experienced this/can explain this sensation better? And if so, what have you done to stop feeling like you're cannibalising yourself/the soreness that accompanies the feeling?

Chippy3000

Re: Sleep and biting inside of mouth

#2 Post by Chippy3000 »

I'm glad someone else has this! I have a patch of rough skin on one side that I chew in my sleep! I'm hoping it will get better with time and sadly have no suggestions. Not very helpful, but I feel your pain!

littlething

#3 Post by littlething »

This has happened to me! I was constantly waking up biting the insides of my cheeks with my canines. It got so bad that I got a canker sore in that spot. :( I just realized that I haven't done it in awhile though (or maybe I don't notice anymore and my cheeks have toughened up?). Still have no clue why I was doing it though...

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

I get deep indentations on my inner cheeks from my lower back brackets and have found that a bit of silicone wax helps. I think I create suction while I sleep too which makes it worse. I try and consciously fall asleep with my lips parted to avoid the suction and some mornings it's better than others.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.