Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovespain5

Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

#1 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hello. I wonder if some in the community had (or will have) like me, extractions of bicuspids to improve the profile (and not for crowding, my crowding wasn't important at all). Because I use to read that extraction of 4 bicuspids is a real devastation for the profile. On the contrary, I'm very happy with the results. I had a slight protrusion in both jaws (and a little overbite) and I definitly think that the extraction is a good solution for a case like this.
I wore my braces for 2 years and a half.

autumnl

Re: Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

#2 Post by autumnl »

I will be having all 4 bicuspids removed on the 13th. I didn't think anything about it until I started reading stories online. Yikes. I have a pretty big overjet- my bottom teeth are completely hidden when my back teeth come together- and I can't help but think it will only be an improvement overall. I'm glad to see that there is at least one positive outcome :)

Lovespain5

#3 Post by Lovespain5 »

Good luck for the treatment! You will suffer with Class II elastics and powerchains but at the end it is completly worth it!

So about my facial improvements, compared to the bad consequences usually said:
- my convex profile become very straight but not concave at all.
- the lips don't become thinner, there is just a better contact between them.
- the chin is more pronounced but there isn't any "looking older" effect as the convex profile has become straight. There is just a balance between the nose, the cheeks and the chin.
- the teeth are after the treatment less appearant than before but there isn't black corridors at all when I smile. Upper jaw was bigger than lower jaw before treatment and now they have the same dimension.

But I think that's important to have a good doctor, and not ordering too often extractions because it is not recommanded for everyone.

Lovespain5

#4 Post by Lovespain5 »

I had my upper and lower first bicuspids extracted too. If you need more infos about the treatment, don't hesitate asking me questions!

TheWolf

#5 Post by TheWolf »

Lovespain5 wrote:I had my upper and lower first bicuspids extracted too. If you need more infos about the treatment, don't hesitate asking me questions!
Hi Lovespain5. Actually, I have some questions. I'm supposed to have some teeth extracted, but my case is a little bit different. I already had a premolar extracted when I was young (following an orthodontic treatment I never finished). Now, I started a new one and was firstly advised to extract my first (remaining) premolars, then instead of a healthy top premolar (on my right side which still has both) my orthodontist said it would be better to extract my first molar because it has a huge feeling and a root canal treatment done, which in time is more prescribed to failure. You can find my story here along with a lot of pictures of my initial stage. I'm scared of extractions, especially of my molar extraction because it is a big tooth which will leave a very big space "behind". How were your extractions? Were they painful? Did you do all in one session or you extracted teeth multiple times? How long did it take until your gaps were closed or at least until you saw the space shrinking?

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hi TheWolf!

Firstly about your possible extractions: I just saw your photos and your crowding isn't important, your protrusion too. Don't hesitate asking an advice to a second orthodontist to know if extractions are definitively necessary for your case. It arrives that the orthodontist choose to extract a molar instead of a bicuspid, above all if the molar is very damaged.

Secondly about my own extractions: it was my first upper and lower bicuspids which were extracted. I chose to extract them one by one. It's more confortable for eating. About the pain: I didn't feel such a pain thanks to the anaesthesia.

Finally about my treatment: the gaps were completly closed 2 years after. The closing starts as you start wearing your rubber bands. Moreover, my treatment had powerchains and a special arch to move my upper and lower teeth back.
Last edited by Lovespain5 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

TheWolf

#7 Post by TheWolf »

I've seen 3 orthodontists in the past 2 years, one 2 year ago and two about 1 month ago. All said I need extractions. I don't know if it was bad luck and I didn't find the right people to treat me, but I've already chosen one so I'll go with it. My top crowding isn't so bad, although I have one missing tooth, but my bottom crowding is worse, as the teeth doesn't have enough space and the canines are rotated 90 degrees. Plus, my top mid line is shifted left, so to correct it and obtain a correct bite something must be done in the top right side.

Lovespain5

#8 Post by Lovespain5 »

Okay! Good luck with your treatment!
Hope your orthodontist is competent and your second treatment will worth it!

autumnl

#9 Post by autumnl »

Thanks Lovespain! I will definitely come back to you with questions :) I'm having them done two at a time- top first then bottoms a week later. I'm already seeing a tiny bit of movement so I can't wait to see the changes once these teeth are out!

Lovespain5

#10 Post by Lovespain5 »

Okay!
Do you have your braces on?
The real movements will start when the orthodontist gives you the rubber bands!
Just a last question: do you have a retruded mandible?

autumnl

#11 Post by autumnl »

Yes- braces are on! Well, on the front 6 top and bottom. I will get the back ones attacehed after the extractions. I actually don't have a retruded mandible. I have to pull it back a bit so the back teeth hit where they are supposed to. The top is the part messing everything up lol. I wasn't a thumb sucker or anything- it just wanted to be the main event of my face I guess :shock:

Lovespain5

#12 Post by Lovespain5 »

Okay! If your mandible isn't retruded, the extraction of 4 bicuspids is the solution. If it was retruded, it will be better to put an Herbst appliance. So you will see, after the closing of the gaps, after 18-24 months of treatment, your upper jaw keeps on moving back but the lower one will be moved forward (with the class II elastics) in aim to put a "contact" between upper and lower teeth. So your lower teeth won't be covered by the upper ones at all.

Here's photos of a very very similar case to me. I can send you photos of my own before/after in personal message too (photos of the face are forbidden on the forum)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

autumnl

#13 Post by autumnl »

That's pretty much exactly what my ortho told me would happen once the teeth are out and we start with elastics! :P

Lovespain5

#14 Post by Lovespain5 »

So your orthodontist is probably competent! :D

Here's photos of my own results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

autumnl

#15 Post by autumnl »

:mrgreen: looks great!!