Chipped tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carrieann

Chipped tooth

#1 Post by carrieann »

I've had a chipped tooth for quite some time, and now just really noticing it since my teeth are straightening out. It is right beside my front tooth on the right side. It is not symmetrical to the other side as a portion of the bottom corner is chipped. How do they fill in or add more to a chipped tooth? Filing it down would only create a shorter tooth and look more unsemmetrical to the other side. Anyone ever had this problem and experienced a good fix? I haven't asked my ortho yet but will in 3 weeks. Is it the ortho or dentist who does the cosmetic finishes typically?

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

metalliKa

Re: Chipped tooth

#2 Post by metalliKa »

If it's a small chip, the ortho will even it out. But if it's big, you'll have to get bonding from your dentist after your braces come off. However, mention this to your ortho and he can tell you what he can and can't do.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

ljms

Re: Chipped tooth

#3 Post by ljms »

Your dentist can fix it using a tooth coloured bonding material.

I recommend that you wait until after you get your braces off. Once your teeth are straight you'll notice all kinds of imperfections. When you know what you want fixed, you and your dentist can set up a plan.