Braces.. Part Deux

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

demarcheesy

Braces.. Part Deux

#1 Post by demarcheesy »

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to say hi :) I'm a new member. I just got my braces put on last week (yay for making it a week without wanting to rip these things off!) for the second time at (almost) 26. I first got braces when I was 16, but my major issues weren't corrected.
My treatment time is apparently 12 to 18 months for an overbite, crossbite and crowding.
Here's my teefers before braces:
http://i65tinypic.com/dwapo0.jpg
annnnd all braced up (excuse the pound of wax I used:
http://i68.tinypic.com/14jub06.jpg
I'm definitely using these photos for my dating profile :D

I'm curious as to why there's a bend in the wire between my two front teeth. There's also one at the bottom, but I'm not sure if that's because the bottoms are so effed up they can't get the wire in straight. My lady that put them on also said she went with a stronger wire for my first wire and my first appointment isn't for another 10 weeks. Is that normal?

Thanks guys!

Moops

Re: Braces.. Part Deux

#2 Post by Moops »

demarcheesy wrote: I'm curious as to why there's a bend in the wire between my two front teeth. There's also one at the bottom, but I'm not sure if that's because the bottoms are so effed up they can't get the wire in straight. My lady that put them on also said she went with a stronger wire for my first wire and my first appointment isn't for another 10 weeks. Is that normal?

Thanks guys!

I have a similar bend in the middle of my top wire, so I googled around after I got mine on --I've made it two weeks!-- and figured out its a "dimple'" so the wire doesn't move around and poke in the back. It's for those of us with self-ligating brackets since there are no ties to keep the wire from sliding around.

My first appointment isn't for 8 weeks, so it's normal. It looks like I'm a week ahead of you, with a similar total time and it's also the second time for me too. So I guess good luck to the both of us, lol! :BigGrin:

TheWolf

#3 Post by TheWolf »

Hi demarcheesy. I'm curious, did your orthodontist used something special to bend the wire, or it was done by hand (because it looks too perfect for human hand :) )? I've heard there's something pretty new, called "Suresmile", which is practically a robot who have more precision at bending the wire and I'm interested in how much gain does it really bring considering treatment time and end result.

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

I have traditional brackets and I used to have those wires that had the bend in the centre. My ortho doesn't offer self-ligating brackets so I don't think those wires are necessarily for self-ligating brackets as someone else mentioned. I do think they're to help keep the wire in place, though.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

demarcheesy

#5 Post by demarcheesy »

[quote="TheWolf"]Hi demarcheesy. I'm curious, did your orthodontist used something special to bend the wire, or it was done by hand (because it looks too perfect for human hand :) )? I've heard there's something pretty new, called "Suresmile", which is practically a robot who have more precision at bending the wire and I'm interested in how much gain does it really bring considering treatment time and end result.[/quote]

Hi there! :) You know, I'm not quite sure. I was staring off into space when she was preparing the wire. Sorry!

demarcheesy

#6 Post by demarcheesy »

[quote="Moops"][quote="demarcheesy"]
I'm curious as to why there's a bend in the wire between my two front teeth. There's also one at the bottom, but I'm not sure if that's because the bottoms are so effed up they can't get the wire in straight. My lady that put them on also said she went with a stronger wire for my first wire and my first appointment isn't for another 10 weeks. Is that normal?

Thanks guys![/quote]

I have a similar bend in the middle of my top wire, so I googled around after I got mine on --I've made it two weeks!-- and figured out its a "dimple'" so the wire doesn't move around and poke in the back. It's for those of us with self-ligating brackets since there are no ties to keep the wire from sliding around.

My first appointment isn't for 8 weeks, so it's normal. It looks like I'm a week ahead of you, with a similar total time and it's also the second time for me too. So I guess good luck to the both of us, lol! :BigGrin:[/quote]

That's awesome! Have you had much pain? I really haven't at all and now I'm paranoid my teeth aren't moving, lol.

Moops

#7 Post by Moops »

demarcheesy wrote:That's awesome! Have you had much pain? I really haven't at all and now I'm paranoid my teeth aren't moving, lol.
My teeth haven't been too sore either, but my poor cheeks, ouch! I turned the corner on pain after the first week, but it was a pretty miserable first week.

demarcheesy

#8 Post by demarcheesy »

I wonder if it's something specifically about Damon braces then. Interesting! My awful canker sore is finally starting to deal after lots of salt water garging, Orajel, etc...