Eating is a pain in the behind!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nolaterals

Re: Eating is a pain in the behind!

#16 Post by Nolaterals »

I feel you! I just have the spacers at this point, but it's nearly impossible to eat now. I am so sore and I feel like I bite right into the rubber piece every time I bite down.

autumnl

#17 Post by autumnl »

Totally! When I had mine, I went to munch on some animal crackers at work one day. Needless to say- I didn't munch on more than 1 bite lol. I was sooo happy to get them out. I bit two of them in half, so halfway through i had pieces flopping around. Annoying as all get out. Ice cold water helps with the achiness.

Branwillaws

#18 Post by Branwillaws »

I lost 25-30 pounds in 3 weeks.. mind you I'm already overweight to begin with. Since I started eating again I have gained 5 pounds but I'm also training (don't worry, not lifting anything over 50lbs)

ouisel

#19 Post by ouisel »

Yep I feel you! Had molar build ups when I started six months ago and eating was a nightmare for the first month. I still have difficulty actually biting things off clean but it's gotten easier. I got elastics at my last appointment and my ortho recommended I eat with them on... Looked like a total weirdo at brunch today haha!

thegolfer86

#20 Post by thegolfer86 »

How is the eating/biting for you now days? I got mine on yesterday and have to agree with just about everything said in this thread.
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

Pixelada

#21 Post by Pixelada »

I got mine two days ago and o have only been able to eat soft food like soup, smoothies, and ice cream, even eating soft bread is too much of a hassle. I wonder if I will be able to eat normal while I have the braces on.

autumnl

#22 Post by autumnl »

Welcome welcome! It does get easier as you get used to your braces, then you get elastics and you kinda start the process all over again :shock: That being said- I definitely do not eat the same as I did before braces. I don't snack near as much since I don't want the hassel of cleaning my teeth every couple of hours. There will be days when you can bite into everything and then back to days when you can't bite a piece of bread. But honestly, those days are few. You will enjoy burgers and pizza again, I promise :D But in general, it's still kind of a pain lol. You get used to a "new normal".

Lovespain5

#23 Post by Lovespain5 »

autumnl wrote:Welcome welcome! It does get easier as you get used to your braces, then you get elastics and you kinda start the process all over again :shock: That being said- I definitely do not eat the same as I did before braces. I don't snack near as much since I don't want the hassel of cleaning my teeth every couple of hours. There will be days when you can bite into everything and then back to days when you can't bite a piece of bread. But honestly, those days are few. You will enjoy burgers and pizza again, I promise :D But in general, it's still kind of a pain lol. You get used to a "new normal".
Yes! I completly agree! So you've started with the elastics? Which configuration and strength do you have?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

autumnl

#24 Post by autumnl »

Right now just horizontal from canine-back. Both top and bottom to close gaps. Wearing "yellows". I go on Monday for an adjustment, so we'll see what happens :-*

Lovespain5

#25 Post by Lovespain5 »

autumnl wrote:Right now just horizontal from canine-back. Both top and bottom to close gaps. Wearing "yellows". I go on Monday for an adjustment, so we'll see what happens :-*
Ok! I never had this configuration. But I see that is used for a retraction too! Have you already seen some changes? In your profile or your mouth?

autumnl

#26 Post by autumnl »

In my mouth I have lots of gaps opening up. My bottom canines that used to lie sideways across the front of the next ones over- are almost vertical! In my profile- not too much yet.

Lovespain5

#27 Post by Lovespain5 »

autumnl wrote:In my mouth I have lots of gaps opening up. My bottom canines that used to lie sideways across the front of the next ones over- are almost vertical! In my profile- not too much yet.
That's the first steps of the retraction and that's completly normal. I had spaces between my front 6 teeth during one year.