Eating is a pain in the behind!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

autumnl

Eating is a pain in the behind!

#1 Post by autumnl »

Hi all! This is almost 3 full days in braces for me. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised so far as I'm only having minimal discomfort. Teeth are a bit sore but nothing a couple Advil can't handle. What I'm having issue with is eating. Right now It is a huge task just to eat anything. Takes so much time, ny tongue and jaw get tired just from eating a bit of anything and the amount of time it takes is insane that I find myself NOT wanting to take the challenge. I'm sure eventually I will get hungry enough to say screw it and just chow down, but for now I'm gonna say, meh. Lol, am I just being lazy? Anyone else feel the same in the beginning?

demarcheesy

Re: Eating is a pain in the behind!

#2 Post by demarcheesy »

I definitely feel that way. I have the stupid molar buildups and an awful canker sore from one of the brackets rubbing everytime I talk/chew/swallow so I'm in the same boat. I hope this doesn't last forever!

TheWolf

#3 Post by TheWolf »

I'm in my thirteen day of top braces. Yes, the beginning is a bit hard from the food perspective, as I was having trouble chewing because my teeth hurt, but it will go away after 1 week (+- some days). For me, day 8 was the day my left part teeth pain disappeared, and around day 10 for my right and front teeth. As for eating, even before braces I was always told that I eat very slowly, so that hasn't changed at all for me.

autumnl

#4 Post by autumnl »

It just feels like too much effort for very little reward ha ha. Oh- maybe i'll just get ice cream! :). I am so thankful I don't have those molar build-ups. I feel for you :(.

angelina

#5 Post by angelina »

I lost a heap of weight for this very reason. My lunch break at work isn't even enough time to eat half of my lunch. Can't wait until it's all over!

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

I weigh the benefit of eating vs the hassle now, too. My mouth gets tired over the littlest things. Or how much of a pain it will be to clean out of my brackets and then often I decide against it. Yes, I have lost a bit of weight, I hope I don't go too much lower, but really, when I've brushed and put in new rubber bands I really don't want to munch on anything and have to do it all over again.

My trouble is that my molars don't touch yet so eating isn't just about the teeth feeling sore, which they are, but I can't chew most things enough to call it eating. So for the past 9 weeks everything has had to be soft and easy to mash up using my tongue and the roof of my mouth if necessary. I did get the bumpers off my bottom front teeth and I'm hoping my molars will start to touch soon. My front teeth have to come forward just a bit more to be able to bite down over my bottoms. Right now they hit square on top of each other. It's irritating, but I know it won't be forever.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

autumnl

#7 Post by autumnl »

I feel kinda guilty complaining about this. You guys have it so much worse with bumpers and build-ups. My back teeth come together so I have the full ability to eat- it just hurts to bite anything and super annoying and time consuming to have to keep getting the stuck food from the brackets and my expander. After not having too much pain all day (I didn't eat) it hurt to bite into a hot dog this evening. I just tell myself- You really can stand to lose a few pounds :) and your smile will be sooo awesome once this is done! I am still happy that I finally get to do this for myself :). Thanks for commiserating with me!

Bracefacekris

#8 Post by Bracefacekris »

I'm the same way. I've become more picky with my food and find myself just not wanting to even eat some meals so I don't have to deal with the discomfort.

carrieann

#9 Post by carrieann »

It does get better! In the beginning I kind of just swallowed soft food cut up like pasta if I couldn't chew. Now I can chew anything soft but only using my right side. My lower bottom second to last tooth is missing and I have a spring going through the space so I feel uncomfortable chewing over there. I am afraid the left side of my jaw will become weak. I do have molar buildup but they don't bother me at all now.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

I think you're doing it wrong (re: title of thread).

Sorry, couldn't resist :-* :roll: :wink: :huh:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

autumnl

#11 Post by autumnl »

Ha ha- that's too funny!! :-*

loridee76

#12 Post by loridee76 »

Yes! 2 days in and I may lose more weight from not eating enough. Although I am not hungry. It will get better I hope!

blackwidow

#13 Post by blackwidow »

I feel like this is going to happen to me when I get braces on in August. I have tmj so some days my jaw hurts when I eat, and I guess it'll be even worse when I get them on at least at the beginning. It should get better.

mrscetrone

#14 Post by mrscetrone »

I lost ten lbs in 2 months because of my buildups and not wanting to be bothered with brushing after eating. It gets better once the buildups wear down a bit.

autumnl

#15 Post by autumnl »

Hey- I can stand to lose about 10 lbs!! :o