do power chains always take a long time to close gaps?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

do power chains always take a long time to close gaps?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

I have this small space between two teeth where i lost a premolar a long time ago

First there was no gap there, then having braces started to open up a space where i lost the premolar, and then the orthodontist decided to close the space with a power chain

Im not even sure its doing anything, but then again maybe they just take a super long time, even for a small space?

i only noticed the space with my tongue, so i thought by now the space would seem smaller
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

angelina

Re: do power chains always take a long time to close gaps?

#2 Post by angelina »

Mine closed up a gap in my molars pretty quickly, I could stick my tongue into it and collect food in there, ortho put a power chain on and then next appointment 7 weeks later it was closed. Hang in there!

lambchop

#3 Post by lambchop »

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but it can take a long time if your teeth are stubborn; I had my braces for almost five years. I had power chains, and double power chains, wire tires, TPA appliance, you name it, trying to close my premolar extraction gaps, while maintaining the correct cant of the front teeth.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

My situation lies midway between lambchop and Angelina. I had bilateral lower premolar gap that basically added a year to my treatment in an attempt to close them. I have very dense bones and movement in general was slow (I hope that works in my favor to prevent relapse now that I am in retainers). My ortho used two rounds of propel therapy and closing coils (not simultaneously) in addition to powerchains. So the short answer is: it depends. Best of luck to you, have faith in your ortho!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

If closing the gap involves moving a canine be prepared for it to take longer. Those are the most subborn teeth in your mouth because of the wicked long roots. Give it time.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

EWUgal15

#6 Post by EWUgal15 »

I think mine went really quickly (roughly 4 months) but I had power chains coupled with Class I elastics across the gap. But Dan is right, it really just depends. Lots of moving parts to factor in (pun only slightly intended).

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

The space is between a premolar and a 1st molar actually
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

bracesman44

#8 Post by bracesman44 »

https://www.wikibraces.com/power-chain-braces/ i found this one. maybe its gonna be help for u