How fast do class II elastics move your teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

How fast do class II elastics move your teeth?

#1 Post by iob »

I suppose the first two answers are:
1) "It depends...everyone's rate of movement is a little different."
2) "That's a question for your ortho." I asked. Received response #1 above.

I'm sure there's a decent amount of variability, but is there an average rate of movement (e.g., "x" mm of correction per month) that one can expect with class II elastics? My ortho referenced 2-2.5mm class II when I started elastics. To me, that doesn't sound like very much correction is needed, but whenever my ortho is overly vague on timing I assume it's because it might take awhile.

Has anyone heard specific metrics from their orthodontists or assistants on how much movement per month that they normally expect to see? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long this part will take and couldn't find any reliable research. Thanks!

buffon85

Re: How fast do class II elastics move your teeth?

#2 Post by buffon85 »

it depends. my bottom extraction gaps closed together,
i had my upper extractions a few months after and expected to happen the same.
when the left gap was completely closed, i could fit my tongue in the other gap.
if your ortho that treats you can't give you an answer, i guess nobody can. just live your life, brush your teeth and enjoy the progress! :tingrin:

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

My oral surgeon (who is married to one of the orthodontists I see) said on average, movement is about 1mm a month. But take that with a grain of salt...it came from a surgeon.

iob

#4 Post by iob »

buffon85 wrote:just live your life, brush your teeth and enjoy the progress!
I'll definitely do all three, but the process is getting old!

Also, my original goal to be done was Feb-April so I'm already over. I know it's not unusual for things to take longer, but you can guess why I'm really interested in knowing how long this part takes.
EWUgal15 wrote:My oral surgeon (who is married to one of the orthodontists I see) said on average, movement is about 1mm a month. But take that with a grain of salt...it came from a surgeon.
I remember reading something about 1mm a month too, but I wasn't sure if that was for an individual tooth or if it also applied to whole arch or shifting both top and bottom. I'm definitely past the 2-2.5 month mark, so either they're moving slower than expected or class II elastics just move teeth less than 1mm a month. I don't know which.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows how much class II discrepancy they had and how long they had class II elastics to fix it. I'm sure every situation is a little different but I'm just curious about a really rough estimate.

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

iob wrote:I'd love to hear from anyone who knows how much class II discrepancy they had and how long they had class II elastics to fix it. I'm sure every situation is a little different but I'm just curious about a really rough estimate.
I don't know what my measurements were, but I wore Class II triangles from November to February.

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

Strength of elastics also matter. I always asked the strongest they had. Sometimes regretted that request, but still made it.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

iob

#7 Post by iob »

How strong is "strong?" I understand there are light, med, heavy, and extra heavy ones. I have medium and they've definitely moved the alignment, just slowly. Did you start out lighter and then ask for heavy?

Lovespain5

#8 Post by Lovespain5 »

I started directly with the extra-heavy (Ram) ones but it depends on the case. I had my 4 first premolars extracted. I wore rubber bands for one year and a half.

iob

#9 Post by iob »

Finally! I guess I was near the end after all. I only have to wear them at night now to hold the new alignment where it is. Overall, not the mm per month that you referenced, EWU and oldfart, but it got there. Call it 5.5 mo to correct 2.5mm, so roughly half a mm per mo. I remember djspeece saying that his ortho claimed his teeth moved slowly because his "head was dense." Maybe that's two of us.