Need help deciding on brackets & orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thegolfer86

Need help deciding on brackets & orthodontist

#1 Post by thegolfer86 »

Hello board! As a 29 year old adult, I chose to get 5 orthodontists options and each of them recommended many different kinds of brackets. So I've narrowed the list down to 3 that I feel comfortable with. Being comfortable with all three, I may have to make the decision on which braces to go with, in order of most to least expensive:

Orthodontist 1 (20 years experience, board certified, new technology)
1A) Clarity SmartClips (ceramic/metal combo) (+$1000)
1B) Clarity SmartClips (all metal) (+$750)
1C) Clarity Advanced ("clear brackets w/ tie wires") (+$750)

Orthodontist 2 (3 years experience with great staff, new technology)
2A) Empower (clear/metal combo) (+$700)
2B) Damon (all metal) (+$400)
2C) Clarity Victory SL (all metal) (+$400)

Orthodontist 3 (2 years experience as an orthodontist, but seemed eager)
3A) Damon (clear/metal combo) ($0)
3B) Anderson (all metal) ($0)

Things I'm uncertain of:
-Do you have to remove elastics to eat?
-Which, do you think, would be the most comfortable of these/least bulky?
-Any of these seem friendly for people with overbite/overjet/crossbite?
-Are SL's really faster & more comfortable (even though I've read they are liable to irritate the gums more?)
-Good or bad adjustment/disbonding concerns?
-Most food friendly?

Beckett

Re: Need help deciding on brackets & orthodontist

#2 Post by Beckett »

In the end, traditional brackets, whether metal or ceramic, Damon or not, essentially do the same thing. If you were comparing brackets to Invasalign there'd be more differnces to evaluate. But brackets to brackets...is really going to give you the same thing overall.

Frankly I would go with the more experienced ortho, but that's just me. I would be nervous letting someone squish my teeth around who has barely been practicing long enough to have their first patients get their braces off.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

carrieann

#3 Post by carrieann »

Love my Damon ceramic uppers and Damon metal lowers. No ties for Damons. I don't find the ceramics bulky. I've heard the Damon metal braces are smaller than traditional. Ceramics do not stain. Wire change typically every 6 weeks. They were my most expensive option but my ortho is highly recommended and this is what he likes to work with.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

carrieann

#4 Post by carrieann »

Beckett wrote:In the end, traditional brackets, whether metal or ceramic, Damon or not, essentially do the same thing. If you were comparing brackets to Invasalign there'd be more differnces to evaluate. But brackets to brackets...is really going to give you the same thing overall.

Frankly I would go with the more experienced ortho, but that's just me. I would be nervous letting someone squish my teeth around who has barely been practicing long enough to have their first patients get their braces off.
Very true, all bracket systems do the same job. It is the ortho that can make the difference.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

onwardsandupwards

#5 Post by onwardsandupwards »

Go with the orthodontist you feel most comfortable & confident with. As others have already said, it is the orthodontist's skill and experience which matters most above the products they use. All brackets do the same thing at the end of the day. I can only speak from my own experience with ceramic Damon clear brackets and while they are marginally bigger/bulkier than their metal counterpart, the main difference is aesthetics, I imagine comfort levels are very similar. Once they're in your mouth - ceramic, metal or otherwise - you will soon get used to them and forget they are there at all!

Good luck with taking the leap into the adult braces world! :jump:

thegolfer86

#6 Post by thegolfer86 »

Thanks for the comments all.

I'm leaning toward going the self-ligating route, which will narrow down my list of 8 brackets to 6. Now to determining all metal or ceramic/clear.

Gauging everyone's tips, it sounds like I should dish out the extra $750/$1000 & go with the board certified orthodontist. One of my downfalls is I analyze everything, so having a difficult time with this decision as I know the other two orthodontists are qualified as well & seem knowledgeable at their trade for lesser money.

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

I don't think this is one thing to "skimp out" on, i know the cost is expensive no matter what, but i would much rather pay more and have a better chance (may as well be a guarantee with an orthodontist with 20 years experience) than pay less and maybe things wont go so well

And at least its super easy financing so the money differences don't seem like as much as they are

And FYI i have a full set of Metal Damon Braces, no complaints with them, but i don't have other types of brackets to compare them to
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

metalliKa

#8 Post by metalliKa »

Ultimately, the decision is yours and yours to make. However, I would go with the more experienced ortho.

I have a question. Where do you live that your treatment is so cheap?!!!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

If the non-board-certified ortho's say, shared an office with an actual ortho they could go to for advice, I might consider it. But the way I see it, you contemplating signing up with a couple general dentists that decided they wanted some of that ortho cash and didn't want to go to school or apprentice with an actual ortho to learn it, and are still pretty new at it. Dentist 2 and 3 have only been doing ortho for as long as a board-certified one spends being just receiving closely-supervised ortho training.

As far as brackets go, you have two choices to make: Self-ligating or conventional (if appropriate for your case), ceramic or clear. The brand is pretty much meaningless.
Last edited by sirwired on Mon May 23, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

sirwired wrote:If the non-board-certified ortho's say, shared an office with an actual ortho they could go to for advice, I might consider it. But the way I see it, you contemplating signing up with a couple general dentists that decided they wanted some of that ortho cash and didn't want to go to school or apprentice with an actual ortho to learn it, and are still pretty new at it. Dentist 2 and 3 have only been doing ortho for as long as a board-certified one spends being just receiving closely-supervised ortho training.

As far as brackets to, you have two choices to make: Self-ligating or conventional (if appropriate for your case), ceramic or clear. The brand is pretty much meaningless.
I think this sums things up very well!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

thegolfer86

#11 Post by thegolfer86 »

Tyrantblade wrote:I don't think this is one thing to "skimp out" on, i know the cost is expensive no matter what, but i would much rather pay more and have a better chance (may as well be a guarantee with an orthodontist with 20 years experience) than pay less and maybe things wont go so well

And at least its super easy financing so the money differences don't seem like as much as they are

And FYI i have a full set of Metal Damon Braces, no complaints with them, but i don't have other types of brackets to compare them to
That's a good point. I guess with it financed it's only a $40/month difference between least experienced & most experienced.
metalliKa wrote:Ultimately, the decision is yours and yours to make. However, I would go with the more experienced ortho.

I have a question. Where do you live that your treatment is so cheap?!!!
Haha, well, the cost is in the thousands. Those are just cost differences between options.
djspeece wrote:
sirwired wrote:If the non-board-certified ortho's say, shared an office with an actual ortho they could go to for advice, I might consider it. But the way I see it, you contemplating signing up with a couple general dentists that decided they wanted some of that ortho cash and didn't want to go to school or apprentice with an actual ortho to learn it, and are still pretty new at it. Dentist 2 and 3 have only been doing ortho for as long as a board-certified one spends being just receiving closely-supervised ortho training.

As far as brackets to, you have two choices to make: Self-ligating or conventional (if appropriate for your case), ceramic or clear. The brand is pretty much meaningless.
I think this sums things up very well!
Thanks for the comments. I have decided on the self ligating and believe I'm down to choosing ceramics (or clear) upper/metal lower.

Ortho 2 & 3 have actually completed 2 years of orthodontics school/residency after receiving their DDS/DMD respectively, plus 1-2 years in the field since. They both have opened their own offices in the past year. Ortho 2 somewhat works with two other orthodontists who've been reviewed well over the past 5 years. Ortho 3 was the chief orthodontic resident at his school... granted it doesn't mean much being in student status but does show he was a step ahead of his peers... & is continuing orthodontics education toward board certification.

There was one other Orthodontist I've considered, we'll call him Ortho 4, who also has 20 years experience (not board certified), but gets good reviews, and was more affordable than all of them. I just got an odd feeling from his office.
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

sirwired

#12 Post by sirwired »

Ah, I thought 2 and 3 were just general dentists who have proclaimed themselves as able to practice orthodontics. Sounds like they are also board-certified, or soon will be. Close enough. They'll do fine if you prefer one of those two over the 20-yr guy.

thegolfer86

#13 Post by thegolfer86 »

sirwired wrote:Ah, I thought 2 and 3 were just general dentists who have proclaimed themselves as able to practice orthodontics. Sounds like they are also board-certified, or soon will be. Close enough. They'll do fine if you prefer one of those two over the 20-yr guy.
No worries! Ortho 2 & 3 aren't board certified... as of yet, anyways. I'm sure they'd do fine like you mentioned, just feels a bit like a shot in the dark since they haven't been practicing long enough to have a ton of patient reviews out there. Does anyone else have/had a younger orthodontist?
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

jaime

#14 Post by jaime »

Pay for the longer experience of the board certified ortho...the peace of mind it will give you is priceless.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

SinkFullOfDinner

#15 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

It sounds like you're leaning toward Ortho #1 and self ligating, and ortho #1 uses various Clarity brackets. Make sure that you take a look at the actual Clarity Smart Clip bracket (you probably have already). I thought that the metal clips on the sides made the bracket look pretty "metal-y" for a ceramic bracket. I have several of the regular Clarity ceramics on the top and think they look more discreet, but that's just me. If you like the look of the Smart Clips and your ortho recommends it, it will work great!