New to Braces...Starving!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nightowl12

New to Braces...Starving!

#1 Post by nightowl12 »

Hi everyone!

I'm just starting my journey with braces (24 month treatment time). My ortho is starting with my top teeth for the first 6 months. I had spacers put in on Tuesday along with top brackets. I go back in two weeks to have the spacers removed and have the remaining brackets and wire put on.

So far I don't have many complaints - my brackets are rough on my cheeks so I've been using wax to cover the bothersome ones.

One thing I am struggling with though is eating/feeling full. I'm afraid to break my brackets. So far I've stuck with yogurt, soft bread, chicken, things like that. I get full pretty quickly (probably because I'm eating more slowly and eating smaller pieces) and then like an hour later I'm hungry again. Any tips on how to feel full?

Thanks for accepting me as a member of the forum!

jaime

Re: New to Braces...Starving!

#2 Post by jaime »

It's extremely unlikely you'll break the brackets. At worst, you'll pop one off which is no big deal, and pretty common. Your worry about breaking them is also very common, but trust me, you'd probably have to chew metal to break one. In my 24 months of braces, the worst I've done is dislodge a wire from the molar bracket and I sure as heck am not eating soft foods every day. :)

Try eating things high in protein and/or fat, as those keep you feeling fuller for longer than carbohydrates (especially simple carbohydrates). However, there are a lot of soft options that are carby!

I ate a lot of oatmeal when I first got my braces and after adjustments.

Smoothies and protein shakes are good, too. Maybe add some coconut milk to thicken it up.

Soft cooked pasta like macaroni or ravioli is good too.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

nightowl12

#3 Post by nightowl12 »

Thanks for the tips jaime!

I know in time I'll get more used to the feel of the brackets in my mouth, it's just been hard to get used to them. Right now they are just an annoyance, I wanted to rip them out yesterday! It's frustrating trying to figure out how to eat with them on : P

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

You are certainly not alone in those feelings...everyone goes through a period of adjustment with the braces. Very soon, you'll forget you even have them.

I remember the first time I ate after I got mine...very bizarre feeling, and it felt so messy.

Hang in there, the adjustment phase is very temporary! Every time you eat, it'll get better.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

MissEvaH

#5 Post by MissEvaH »

I thought I'd never get used to eating with them but it gets better every day. I drank a lot of milkshakes to fill up but I still lost a few pounds. I'm 3 months in and mostly back to normal eating now. I still don't eat chips or popcorn or chew gum but I certainly eat more of a variety now than I did in the first month.

nightowl12

#6 Post by nightowl12 »

Thank you both! I had a more substantial dinner tonight and was less afraid of breaking the brackets. I'm sure it'll be a learning process all over again once they put my wire in in two weeks.

Today was up and down, I felt panicky at times that I've committed to two years of braces, and other times I forgot that my brackets were there. I know the end product will be worth it!