Getting Your Braces Off For An Occasion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gracee

Getting Your Braces Off For An Occasion

#1 Post by gracee »

Hey Guys!
I've had my braces on for four months now and my teeth have changed dramatically and they are looking quite good, my treatment is suppose to end in 2018, but my sister is getting married in September of this year and I really do not want to have braces in the picture (I'm very self concious of them and I really hate the way they look plus I'm maid of honour), is there any way I could just get them taken off for three days max then have them put back on? Will this effect my overall treatment time?

djspeece

Re: Getting Your Braces Off For An Occasion

#2 Post by djspeece »

I don't think a three day lapse in treatment would have too much of an impact (of course I am not an orthodontist, nor are most of the others here) but I think it would be reasonable for the orthodontist to charge you for the removal and reapplication.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kip

#3 Post by kip »

I've spoken to my ortho about this as I am due to be a bridesmaid in my 17th month of treatment (out of 18th predicted months, so close!) and he said he would be able to remove my braces, should I wish for the wedding and put them back on afterwards. There'd be a charge of £200 to do so, not sure if you're in America and how the general costs of braces translates though.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

This is something you'll just have to work out with your ortho. In addition to two additional (long and tedious) appointments, you will extend your treatment time at least somewhat by going a few days completely un-retained.

metalliKa

#5 Post by metalliKa »

I would imagine it wouldn't set your treatment that far back and I'm sure your ortho would be more than willing to remove your braces for an added cost and at your inconvenience. Always consult your ortho if you're unsure.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

Photoshop might be a cheaper option. I just can't imagine the hassle of getting them all off and then back on again. And while I'm not as self conscious about them, I did opt to have my bracing appointment after a trip to Comic Con where we had a photo op sceduled with a tv star. :roll: so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

TheProfessor

#7 Post by TheProfessor »

I just got my braces off 3 weeks ago and it was not a pleasant experience. It hurt a lot when the ceramic brackets were removed and the glue removal process was also pretty painful (and I have a high pain threshold). It was worth it because my reward was a perfect smile, but I can't imagine having to do it twice! Your teeth might also be extra sensitive if they are still in the "active movement" phase (I had my braces for over 2years and the last 6 months were very minor adjustments). I would look into the photoshop option if I were you...
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Ziggy

#8 Post by Ziggy »

Seriously? Just follow your ortho's advice. IMHO most girls look cute in braces, and if you meet someone you'll have something to talk about, especially about getting them off soon. For photos just give a half smile. Nobody will notice.

Blingythings

#9 Post by Blingythings »

I talked to a girl who said she had just her wires removed for her wedding. Might make Photoshopping easier.
Image :tingrin: