I got the wrong treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LeahDL

I got the wrong treatment

#1 Post by LeahDL »

Hi everyone! It's my first time to be in this forum. It seems guys are very friendly and helpful here. I should have known this forum much much earlier. I have had my braces for nearly three years but only just today, I found out that they made the wrong plan for my teeth. Yes, I'm so silly for making this happened. Oh my God, who can help me? Please give me some suggestions, thank you so much.!!! I'll try to explain what happened to my teeth. Thank you everybody for reading this!
I used to have 32 teeth, but years ago, I missed my no.30 molar. And I also have overbite and overlap. So 3 years ago, I told my regular dentist that I wanted to have braces to move my teeth to fill no.30's space. And I told him that I DIDN'T want any false teeth or any teeth implants. The main purpose for my braces was to fill the space without any false teeth. So I found my present orthodontist and he talked with my regular dentist. Finally they made a plan for me and I had my another molar, no.19 and 2 upper teeth,4 and 13 taken out. And then I had my braces on. During all of this procedure, they didn't tell me that they won't fill my downer spaces with braces and didn't tell that I would still need to have false teeth for those spaces after my braces are finished.

I trusted them during the long treatment, and in my opinion one of the main braces' job was just to make the spaces disappear. So I din't realize in the beginning that the dentists might make a wrong plan that I didn't want at all. For a long time, I just thought that my downer teeth were moving very slow and the spaces were just hard to be filled. But today, my orthodontist said that my braces were almost done and I had a shock! Oh my, how about my downer spaces? The orthodontist said he couldn't change anything about my teeth now and he suggested me to talk with my regular dentist. So far, I'm satisfied with my orthodontist's job. He and his stuff are very kind to their patients, and my teeth are very straight now. But my teeth are also ruined because for such a long time, they have had been moved in the wrong way, keeping the spaces there! Yes, I should have made it sure in the begging to get the right plan. But things had happened. How can I fix this problem? I don't want any false teeth. I need you opinions, please.

Should I consult a lawyer now ? Or should I talk with my regular dentist about it and try to seek some make-up remedy? Or are there anything I can do to fix this problem? To whom should I talk firstly? I'm feeling terrible, now. What can I do? Any idea and suggestion is very welcome! Thanks!

oldfart

Re: I got the wrong treatment

#2 Post by oldfart »

You should have had a treatment plan that you approved before starting? What did it say? I would double check any paperwork that you signed before treatment started.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

LeahDL

#3 Post by LeahDL »

[quote="oldfart"]You should have had a treatment plan that you approved before starting? What did it say? I would double check any paperwork that you signed before treatment started.[/quote]
Thank you oldfart, for your kind advice! But I was silly and when it started, I didn't know that there was a thing like a treatment plan. I just said what I wanted and then I believed that the Ortho could help me. Thus I didn't get any paperwork of treatment plan, except for a receipt-like paper notified the payment and the length of the treatment. I also got several pages about how to take care of the braces. Oh my, it seems I don't have any paper proof of the treatment.
Is there a written treatment plan for the braces? Did you have it? Do people usually have it when they start their treatments?

So now, in this situation, what can I do? Do you think it's okay to talk with my regular dentist about it, as what my orthodontist office suggest me to do? I hope they can make some make-up arrangement for my problem. I, really don't want to have false teeth. Sigh...
Sorry, I ask you so many questions. I just want to hear some ideas, some voices.

LeahDL

#4 Post by LeahDL »

[quote="oldfart"]You should have had a treatment plan that you approved before starting? What did it say? I would double check any paperwork that you signed before treatment started.[/quote]

I found that paper and read it. I seems that it is the treatment plan. But the problem is there are no details about the treatment, only about the payment and the estimated time, cooperation, etc. And I signed, my God.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I think I would first press your orthodontist for more details as to why nothing can be done - I'd be listening to hear if there were structural/anatomical barriers or some physiological reason why the gaps persist. I would ask point-blank if this were the result he was visualizing from the beginning, and if so why did he not discuss the less than optimal result with you; if was not the optimal result then I would ask him how he intends to remedy the situation because you are very dissatisfied. I agree, talk with your dentist as well and get his/her opinion. I would probably also seek consultation with another orthodontist, but explain when you set the appointment that you are seeking a second opinion as you near the end of therapy. If possible, bring all records and films from your original orthodontist. Best of luck to you, in any event.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

It may have just been me, but I had a written treatment plan that I questioned and followed the whole duration of my braces. I asked after every appointment what was the goal for the next month and asked a lot of questions. Just with paying as much as I did, I wanted to make sure it was done right.

Not to play devil's advocate here and please don't hate me for this question, but shouldn't you have realized before the end they weren't trying to close those gaps? Are the gaps visible? Do they affect chewing?
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

buffon85

#7 Post by buffon85 »

i can´t understand. even if you hadn´t mentioned that you don´t want any implants, why would someone extract two healthy (i suppose ) teeth to fill the gaps with implants.

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

buffon85

#8 Post by buffon85 »

buffon85 wrote:i can´t understand. even if you hadn´t mentioned that you don´t want any implants, why would someone extract two healthy (i suppose ) teeth to fill the gaps with implants.

or one healthy tooth if the other was the one you had already lost.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

With all due respect, let's not second-guess Leah at this point. She finds herself in this situation and just wants to vent a bit and seek the benefit of any insights and support that we can offer. Could-have should-have would-haves are not particular helpful in my view. Thus endeth today's sermon :roll: .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

metalliKa

#10 Post by metalliKa »

If I am understanding you right, you lost the #30 tooth years before you started orthodontic treatment. If so, that gap cannot be closed orthodontically due to bone loss. And that should have been discussed with you before your treatment started and in the papers you signed.

Two years prior to my braces, I lost my first bottom right molar due to a cracked root and infection. I asked my ortho if that gap can be closed, he said he'll have to study my xrays before he can answer me. Two weeks later, before the braces we on, he explained to me that he could try to close it, but by doing so, the tooth will just cant or tip due to bone loss. The space may not actually be closed so he wasn't going to try to closed it. That was stated in the papers I signed. At the time, bone graft wasn't brought up, stupid me. If it had, I think it would have been possible to move my second molar with the rest of my teeth. Now I'm left with a space bigger than what I started with because all my teeth have shifted. Oh, well...it's in the back and no one notices unless I open wide. A bone graft and implant combined with ortho treatment would put many holes in my pocket. *Sigh*

And to your comment about false teeth, no one will know unless you tell them. An implant is as good as your own, just it's expensive! If I can afford it, I would go for it.

LeahDL

#11 Post by LeahDL »

Thank you everybody for your nice response! I really appreciate it.
I want to add some information about my teeth extraction, because a friend above mentioned about the reason of taking off healthy teeth. Firstly I want to mention that I had lost no.30 molar many years ago. And for my braces, I took off 3 teeth. One unhealthy no.19 molar, two healthy upper premolar.
One of the reasons why I was so stupid not to realize the wrong treatment is that I had taken off the upper healthy teeth and that seemed to match the closure of the downer molar gaps

buffon85

#12 Post by buffon85 »

LeahDL wrote:Thank you everybody for your nice response! I really appreciate it.
I want to add some information about my teeth extraction, because a friend above mentioned about the reason of taking off healthy teeth. Firstly I want to mention that I had lost no.30 molar many years ago. And for my braces, I took off 3 teeth. One unhealthy no.19 molar, two healthy upper premolar.
One of the reasons why I was so stupid not to realize the wrong treatment is that I had taken off the upper healthy teeth and that seemed to match the closure of the downer molar gaps
i didn't have any intention to say that you are stupid or anything like that.
most of us are not orthos neither dentists. we trust the professional, we do our own search sometimes but the reason we pay our orthos is to do the job right for us.
what i wanted to ask is what was the initial plan of your ortho. did he tell you that he wanted to close the gaps but along the way realized it was not possible (because of bone loss as metallika mentioned) or the initial plan was the implants?
i don't criticize you because you are not professional and you should't feel silly or stupid. there are many things that i don't understand in my treatment, and right or wrong i don't question them.
if i were you i would consult another ortho, to see if there is a possibility to close the spaces with the braces you already have and what other options you have, your ortho may be kind but i don't think he made right choices or give you the information you were supposed to know.

LeahDL

#13 Post by LeahDL »

[quote="djspeece"]I think I would first press your orthodontist for more details as to why nothing can be done - I'd be listening to hear if there were structural/anatomical barriers or some physiological reason why the gaps persist. I would ask point-blank if this were the result he was visualizing from the beginning, and if so why did he not discuss the less than optimal result with you; if was not the optimal result then I would ask him how he intends to remedy the situation because you are very dissatisfied. I agree, talk with your dentist as well and get his/her opinion. I would probably also seek consultation with another orthodontist, but explain when you set the appointment that you are seeking a second opinion as you near the end of therapy. If possible, bring all records and films from your original orthodontist. Best of luck to you, in any event.[/quote]

Thank you djspeece ! Your advice will be very helpful to me!
I've already revisited my orthodontist. He said we were lack of communication and he didn't say that I have structural or anatomical problems in closing the gap. I told him that I suffered a lot about this case, and asked for some possible further treatment to close the gaps. He said I might have another 2 years' treatment and need a new record of my present teeth condition. He would study my new record and discuss it with my regular dentist. I accepted this possible new treatment because I wanted to close the gaps so much and that was the reason why I had braces instead of the implant.Now I'm ready for another 2 years' pain. I've scheduled for the x-ray and had the model done.

Now, what I'm worrying about is the payment. I didn't think I should pay for this new treatment so I asked if I had to pay. He said not to talk about it until we are to set up the new treatment plan, and he needed my new record first. I will not accept a lot of extra payment because it's not fair and I can't afford it. I've paid so much for my braces without dental insurance. The advice and insight you shared will help me a lot to support myself to fight for justice and for the payment issue that may happen later.

LeahDL

#14 Post by LeahDL »

[quote="buffon85"][quote="LeahDL"]Thank you everybody for your nice response! I really appreciate it.
One of the reasons why I was so stupid not to realize the wrong treatment is that I had taken off the upper healthy teeth and that seemed to match the closure of the downer molar gaps[/quote]
i didn't have any intention to say that you are stupid or anything like that.
most of us are not orthos neither dentists. we trust the professional, we do our own search sometimes but the reason we pay our orthos is to do the job right for us.
what i wanted to ask is what was the initial plan of your ortho. did he tell you that he wanted to close the gaps but along the way realized it was not possible (because of bone loss as metallika mentioned) or the initial plan was the implants?
i don't criticize you because you are not professional and you should't feel silly or stupid. there are many things that i don't understand in my treatment, and right or wrong i don't question them.
if i were you i would consult another ortho, to see if there is a possibility to close the spaces with the braces you already have and what other options you have, your ortho may be kind but i don't think he made right choices or give you the information you were supposed to know.[/quote]

I didn't mean that you criticized me as stupid . : ) And actually you asked a good question that helps me to support my case .
But I really thought I was stupid and I regretted a lot because I didn't realize to make sure of my treatment plan. I just told the doctor that I wanted my front teeth to be dragged back to solve my problem, and I didn't emphasis on filling the gaps. But my ortho DIDN'T tell me anything about his attempts to close the gap but failed to do so. He DIDN'T tell or ask me anything about filling the downer gaps. It seemed that both the ortho and me were imagining and believing that we were doing the things as what we wanted. Very lack of communication.
You are right. He is very kind, but he really didn't give me enough information.
And so far, I have talked to my ortho , and he said this case was due to lack of communication and I might have a new treatment for another 2 years to fill the gaps. He let me to have my new record for the new treatment and I'm doing it, now. I'm just afraid that he will charge me for the new treatment.
Thank you, buffon85!

LeahDL

#15 Post by LeahDL »

[quote="metalliKa"]If I am understanding you right, you lost the #30 tooth years before you started orthodontic treatment. If so, that gap cannot be closed orthodontically due to bone loss. And that should have been discussed with you before your treatment started and in the papers you signed.

Two years prior to my braces, I lost my first bottom right molar due to a cracked root and infection. I asked my ortho if that gap can be closed, he said he'll have to study my xrays before he can answer me. Two weeks later, before the braces we on, he explained to me that he could try to close it, but by doing so, the tooth will just cant or tip due to bone loss. The space may not actually be closed so he wasn't going to try to closed it. That was stated in the papers I signed. At the time, bone graft wasn't brought up, stupid me. If it had, I think it would have been possible to move my second molar with the rest of my teeth. Now I'm left with a space bigger than what I started with because all my teeth have shifted. Oh, well...it's in the back and no one notices unless I open wide. A bone graft and implant combined with ortho treatment would put many holes in my pocket. *Sigh*

And to your comment about false teeth, no one will know unless you tell them. An implant is as good as your own, just it's expensive! If I can afford it, I would go for it.[/quote]

Thank your replying. Your case is a little bit as same as mine! Do you still have your braces now? I hope everything will be okay with you! And I wonder how your teeth shift---- is it in an acceptable way; can it be corrected? I don't know a lot about it and I'm new in this forum, though I've had my braces for nearly 3 years.
I just guess that maybe you can discuss with your ortho to make sure that your teeth are moving in a safe way! That's very important for the health of the teeth. As for the movement of the 2nd molar, I think it's very possible. Last night, I read a lot on line about braces with molar loss, and I also watched videos about moving 2nd molar or wisdom tooth forward to fill the gap of 1st molar. They are doing so with the help of " temporary anchorage device" and elastic bands.

For me, I lost one molar for many years, I might have bone loss, too. But my orthodontist didn't tell me about that. Even today, I visited to asked for a further treatment to fill up the gap, he told me to build a new record for the new treatment. He also showed me my former x-ray but still didn't say that he couldn't close the gap due to the loss of bone. I hoped the doctor can drag my teeth together and have my gaps closed, and he said it was possible. But he could only decide after studying my new dental record.

I don't want the implant because firstly, I can't afforded for two molars. Secondary, I don't want any artificial things inserted into my bone if it's not a necessary.The reason I had braces is just to move the teeth and fill up the gaps. Thirdly, implant teeth may cause problems and may be broken earlier than expected. but most well- cared natural teeth can last until a person dies.