Tooth moving when flossing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kip

Tooth moving when flossing

#1 Post by kip »

I've read a lot about teeth feeling loose and wobbly but when flossing for the last few days, one of my lower incisors has actually been moving when I put move the floss through the teeth. It's a tooth that was crossed and has straightened out over the last 7 weeks, it's still a little crossed so I have to push floss a tiny bit to get it in.
I out my finger on the bracket and nudged it tonight and saw the tooth move! Is this normal? It seems so extreme for the tooth to actually move when I exert the smallest amount of pressure. I'm very freaked out!

metalliKa

Re: Tooth moving when flossing

#2 Post by metalliKa »

For teeth that need a lot of rotating and movement, they will be somewhat loose. How else will they be straight if they didnt become loose?

You're fine. And your ortho will say the same.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

meizhatian

#3 Post by meizhatian »

Hi, I have the same issue with one tooth right now...how is yours now? Thanks!

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

I would be really freaked out too! Is this truly normal? I am about to get braces on Monday and did not anticipate noticeable tooth loosening. Microscopic, maybe, but noticeable when I floss?? :o

meizhatian

#5 Post by meizhatian »

@Emmily I don't think it happens to everyone. You should be fine if you don't have bone loss or gum recession.

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

That happened to me, especially because I have some gum recession. Incisors were more wobbly for me than the others.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

meizhatian

#7 Post by meizhatian »

@Felina the important question is whether it'll recover and become stable later...what's your experience like? Thanks

Felina Grimm

#8 Post by Felina Grimm »

They stabilized, but they were wobbly with some adjustments again. They're wobbly now after I got debonded. I'm hoping they stabilize again. It's only been a little more than two weeks.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

9nikki

#9 Post by 9nikki »

I think this is normal. Heard of very well loosed tooth during ortho treatment. Nothing to worry about, it should become stable after moving to the position your ortho wants it to occupy.

meizhatian

#10 Post by meizhatian »

Thanks Felina. Hope yours stabilize soon. I visited my ortho yesterday and he said it's normal, so more soup coming..