Impossible to floss.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ziggy

Impossible to floss.

#1 Post by Ziggy »

Currently I'm brushing several times a day and using the Waterpik I just got. My ortho gave me some of those G-U-M Eez-Thru things you're supposed to thread through your wires and use to pull the floss through, kinda like a needle threader. I'm having all kinds of trouble using these things and no luck at all flossing, which my ortho told me to do at least once a week cuz I'm using the Waterpik.

I just ordered some of those spam spam spam flossers which I haven't receive yet, and I'm hoping that will solve the problem. Meanwhile, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas or suggestions to pass along. Maybe all I need is the Waterpik. It's amazing what comes flyin out of my mouth when I use it.

Thanks.

teeebeee

Re: Impossible to floss.

#2 Post by teeebeee »

I absolutely could not floss with my braces on as there simply wasn't enough space...my teeth are the only small things about me! lol...

However, I water pikked, used an electric toothbrush (carefully) and used mouthwash at least once a day and my dental hygiene has been fine all along.

Check with your dentist that's all well and hopefully that will be enough for you, too.

T xx

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I used intradental brushes -- also called Christmas tree brushes -- dipped in Listerine. They come in packs. I used the ones from GUM called Proxabrush. They come in various sizes for narrow to wide gaps.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Ziggy

#4 Post by Ziggy »

Thanks. I already use the GUM Softpicks and I've got some Proxibrush thingies that are sturdier and like industrial strength Softpicks. Looks like I'm covered. How do you know what size Proxibrushes you've got? My girlfriend gave me a handful.

:-*

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

buttersnacks

#6 Post by buttersnacks »

In addition to the waterpik, I picked up Oral-B Superfloss, as well as Plackers for Braces (Orange kind). Between those three I think I can do a reasonable job cleaning between the brackets and under the wires...

Ziggy

#7 Post by Ziggy »

I found some flossers especially made for braces. Finally, something that works. They are named after the animal that is a mammal but has a duck bill and webbed feet.

MetalMouth77

#8 Post by MetalMouth77 »

My teeth are impossible to floss now. I have to use extra wax fliss dipped in mouthwash. A couple teeth are so tight the floss cuts my finger. I hope when I get my braces this week it does not get worse.

Oversmite

#9 Post by Oversmite »

I tried to do it yesterday and it was just impossible! I also have teeth over the top of each other a bit so it's always been outrageously hard. The dentist went through them all with a diamond coated doodad to very very finely file them down to help, and it's helped with a few teeth but not all.

I've been using my air flosser (or water flosser, whatever you choose to call them) though, and that's been helping. Seems to be good for braces!

-MM

sizzletasticlily

#10 Post by sizzletasticlily »

I use the floss picks designed for braces but I get you it is hard to floss. Threaders take a ton much time. I've not tried the water pik.

MummaFish48

#11 Post by MummaFish48 »

I just You tubed flossing with braces...Yikes that looks a lengthy process....
Think I might also invest in a waterpik!!

angelina

#12 Post by angelina »

You get much quicker at it with practice :) I do it nightly + waterpik but there have been times in the beginning when everything was tight as well as straight after an adjustment when I can only stand to do the waterpik. I don't think I'd survive braces-hood without a waterpik!

JCloNY

#13 Post by JCloNY »

I use Super Floss due to the stiffer ends and so far it's ok. I also use those interdental Christmas tree type of things and they work well too. Both take up quite a bit if time though at night so I'm thinking of getting a Waterpic for my lazy nights. (I already foresee I'll be having some of them once the weather breaks and I resume rooftop drinking.)

testimony777

#14 Post by testimony777 »

Flossing was tough for me the first few days as well because I was in pain. However, I now use regular waxed floss with a threader and have am able to do it just about as quickly as I could pre-braces. There is definitely a learning curve but once you get it you're golden. Having said that, I also have a water pick which I use everyday in addition to flossing. It give me the assurance I need that I am getting everything.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

Crest Glide Threader Floss is great for tight spaces and those first weeks of adapting to braces on your teeth.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!