Dry mouth from braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samiross23

Dry mouth from braces

#1 Post by Samiross23 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone experiences dry mouth caused by their braces? I have ceramic or clear braces and I've had them for 1 and 1/2 years. Lately I've noticed my braces digging into my cheeks in a place they haven't before. It's toward the very back where my molars are and on the right side only. After that my mouth became really dry. My tongue was very irritated on that side as well but has gotten better. I haven't experienced this before. The dryness is my biggest concern though. It's lasted about a week. My tongue also feels rough (more on the right side) but I do use my tongue to get food out of my braces when I'm eating. I'm getting worried as I haven't experienced this earlier on but I know your teeth constantly move with braces. Is this normal? Does anyone have a similar experience ?

Mish11

Re: Dry mouth from braces

#2 Post by Mish11 »

Yes I had the same problem. Two things I did that works wonderful: USE Aquaphor, or any petroleum jelly on your lips (can be eucerin, Aquaphor or any generic petroleum jelly). It soothes all the dryness on your lips and feels AMAZING and you have to stay hydrated. Aim for 8 cups of water daily more if you drink tea/coffee/soda. Hope this helps.

kip

#3 Post by kip »

I'll have been in braces 5 weeks tomorrow and for the last 4 weeks I've been dry mouth central! It's definitely worse when I talk (luckily my job doesn't involve too much talking) but I have really bad dry mouth 24/7.

I'm drinking absolutely tons of water and constantly applying lip balm to try and help, some days are better than others but I guess it's just a case of waiting it out! I've asked advice on this on archwired previously and it's a very normal side-effect.

onwardsandupwards

#4 Post by onwardsandupwards »

Yes definitely a common yet annoying side effect! I experienced it too - best thing to do is just keep water handy and sip on it continuously throughout the day. I can't remember when the constant dry mouth feeling stopped for me but I'd say give it at least 2 or 3 months.

teeebeee

#5 Post by teeebeee »

Had it with the braces...have it worse with the retainer! Fortunately, I drink a lot of water anyway. It's still worth it!

T xx

Samiross23

#6 Post by Samiross23 »

Thanks everyone for replying! I was freaking out because if you google dry mouth it says it could be caused by something serious! Glad it's a normal and I'm not the only one.

I feel a lot better and I think the stress was making my dry mouth worse! But my mind is a lot more at ease now. I'm so grateful for this forum. Thanks again! :)

oldfart

#7 Post by oldfart »

Samiross23 wrote:Thanks everyone for replying! I was freaking out because if you google dry mouth it says it could be caused by something serious! Glad it's a normal and I'm not the only one.
Normally it means alien abduction, but it could just be your braces.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom