What I'm looking forward to after my braces come off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

What I'm looking forward to after my braces come off

#1 Post by NeilH »

What I'm looking forward to after my braces come off.

curry, tomato based pasta sauces, salted nuts, crusty bread, red wine, pretzels, toffee... in fact any food that I have been avoiding since starting

having a lovely smile and stable bite

retainers and the inevitable lisp

a renewed sense of confidence and self worth

telling everyone how brilliant the experience was

And not having to...

clean my teeth after every meal

worry about staining my clear power chains

constantly check all the brackets were still attached after eating crunchy, crusty and sticky food

check I have nothing stuck in my braces every time I eat

take endless braces selfies

Keep checking for tiny movements

worry about elastics pinging off in public

tactfully explain why I can't eat something

try to discreetly clean my teeth in public places

carry a toothbrush everywhere I go

think about camera flashes

Please feel free to add to the list.

janedoe

Re: What I'm looking forward to after my braces come off

#2 Post by janedoe »

As a 26 year old, lipstick + online dating!

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

My "braces are off!" celebration was a tub of extra-butter movie theater popcorn. (I happened to go see "Monuments Men", as it was playing the day they came off.)

ditsy

#4 Post by ditsy »

Looking forward to an all you can eat buffet where I can stuff my face and not worry about getting crap stuck in them lol!!!! Risen toffee!! Double deckers! Popcorn! Showing off my pretty teeth and having photos without tilting my head like I did before the brace or trying to cover my teeth like I try since having them. Using teeth whitening products! Not being mistaken for a 14 year old lol! Kissing and other antics without worrying about the metal! :D but even so its all worth the short term discomfort :)

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

Now you just have to decide which retainer matches your evening wear better.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

ditsy

#6 Post by ditsy »

Lol I know! Can't wait for that little mood maker!! Xx

oldfart

#7 Post by oldfart »

Not finding elastics in the carpet, bathroom, car, and every other place. Oh wait, I'm two months out of braces and still finding those little suckers. They are a reminder as to what will happen if you don't wear your retainers I guess.

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

So Neil, whats on the agenda for today? Removal, and models for retainers? You figure out a definite retainer plan?

NeilH

#9 Post by NeilH »

oldfart wrote:So Neil, whats on the agenda for today? Removal, and models for retainers? You figure out a definite retainer plan?
It's Tuesday I'm getting them removed. I'm having bonded upper and lower retainers, I had impressions for them a few weeks ago and got to see them at the last appointment. I'm also getting two sets of upper and lower Essix retainers, a working set and a spare set for when the first stretch, crack, break or get mislaid so that I can keep everything in place until I can get another set made (a bit of orthodontic insurance). I'm also getting upper and lower Hawley retainers for when I travel as often I'm far from clean running water and needed some robust retainers that I can drink and snack with. I think that should just about cover it.

NeilH

#10 Post by NeilH »

I should add I'm only getting the fixed retainers tomorrow, the Hawleys and Essix will be next week. Impressions x3 will be taken tomorrow.

Bracesat57

#11 Post by Bracesat57 »

My orthodontist has started talking about the "D" word...debonding. Yay.

The biggest thing I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into a big hero sandwich. I love, love sandwiches but they have been on hold. My favorite is an Itailian hoagie. I bought one once and cut it into bite size pieces with a knife and fork. It wasn't the same but I gave it a good try!

Brushing and flossing like a normal person. Not obsessing over if I have cleaned my teeth good enough while I have had braces on.

I laughed when I read about finding those darn elasticity all over the place. I keep finding them in the strangest places. I am now wearing them from canine to canine. I keep flying them all over the place. I found one in the back of a walk in closet...

Not having half my meal stuck in my braces and wearing out my tongue trying to get it out until I can get to a bathroom.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

braces25

#12 Post by braces25 »

Bracesat57 wrote:My orthodontist has started talking about the "D" word...debonding. Yay.

The biggest thing I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into a big hero sandwich. I love, love sandwiches but they have been on hold. My favorite is an Itailian hoagie. I bought one once and cut it into bite size pieces with a knife and fork. It wasn't the same but I gave it a good try!

Brushing and flossing like a normal person. Not obsessing over if I have cleaned my teeth good enough while I have had braces on.

I laughed when I read about finding those darn elasticity all over the place. I keep finding them in the strangest places. I am now wearing them from canine to canine. I keep flying them all over the place. I found one in the back of a walk in closet...

Not having half my meal stuck in my braces and wearing out my tongue trying to get it out until I can get to a bathroom.

Im with you on the italian hoagie! With some nice crusty bread. Its the one thing i miss most with braces.

TheProfessor

#13 Post by TheProfessor »

I'm looking forward to not having to clean my bathroom mirror so often! :wink:
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

oldfart

#14 Post by oldfart »

TheProfessor wrote:I'm looking forward to not having to clean my bathroom mirror so often! :wink:
My wife would definitely agree with that.

djspeece

#15 Post by djspeece »

TheProfessor wrote:I'm looking forward to not having to clean my bathroom mirror so often! :wink:
Oh that is classic. I was in the rest room at work brushing my teeth after lunch one day and working an interdental brush (vs. flossing) and our janitor walked in and pointedly asked me "Just how in the he** do people manage to get goop (used another word) that high up on the mirror?" I mumbled something and from that point on made a point to pay special attention to the mirror :wink: .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying