braces in 2 weeks - nervous!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

1398Days

braces in 2 weeks - nervous!

#1 Post by 1398Days »

I'm 17 and I'm finally getting braces, in two weeks! I've been waiting since I found out I needed them when I was like 9.. I've always been fascinated by braces and wanted to be an orthodontist. I probably COULD be one with all the research I've done over the past several years lol. Needless to say, I'm beyond thrilled to be getting them soon. But as the appointment gets closer I'm getting more and more nervous. I think I'm mostly nervous about the pain.. especially since I'm getting them on two days before my birthday! What does it feel like? How long does it last? I have a pretty high pain tolerance (i had to get a molar extracted and my parents thought i was insane because I didn't take any kind of pain meds afterwards haha) but I'm scared that it's going to hurt more than I'm expecting it too, if that makes sense. Maybe I'm just over thinking this... But any advice would be appreciated :)

buttersnacks

Re: braces in 2 weeks - nervous!

#2 Post by buttersnacks »

If you didn't need any pain meds after getting a molar extracted, you probably won't have a tough time with braces. I'm sure you already know, but getting the braces put on doesn't hurt at all. Some people recommend ibuprofen beforehand, but I found that I didn't need it. The first week after you get them your teeth will be sensitive, and you'll probably want to stick to soft foods like yogurt, cheese, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, soups, etc. (Pro tip: Stay away from long noodles like spaghetti, ramen, etc until you learn to chew properly again, because the noodles will get caught in your wires and dangle freely down your throat :)) Week two won't be as bad, you'll slowly start eating your normal foods again, until it comes time for your adjustments, which will make your teeth sensitive for a couple days after, but you'll recover much more quickly than the initial application of the braces. Basically, don't be nervous, it's not that bad!

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I agree with buttersnacks -- it is normal to be nervous before you get braces, so that is all good. I didn't have a lot of pain with braces, even after adjustments and new powerchains. I think the techs were a bit disappointed since they would always go into this drama mode and predict great pain -- "Oh Dan you are really going to need pain meds now with this new wire" and so forth. It was more annoying than anything and when my patience wore thin I'd simply take some ibuprofen, or a stiff drink, and be done with it. You'll do great! Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

gglass

#4 Post by gglass »

Soft foods and alleve. Take two morning of with big breakfast. You will do great

Tyrantblade

#5 Post by Tyrantblade »

You will probably handle the Pain fine, just stick to soft/liquid foods when you are adjusting to braces, which may take about a week at first and then it takes about 3 days after every adjustment

Theres also over the counter painkillers or numbing your mouth with something cold
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

blade092

#6 Post by blade092 »

I got mine 2 days ago... It's good that you're doing something to better yourself
Wow, i had to take medications for the pain to subside after getting my premolar extracted (the dentist actually had some trouble taking it out, she said it was unlike the many previous extractions that she did, mine was a bit longer than most people's tooth)
don't worry about the pain, it comes afterwards...like a day or two after the braces gets installed