Wisdom teeth extraction for overjet?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iibra001

Wisdom teeth extraction for overjet?

#1 Post by iibra001 »

Hi all,

Unfortunately I cannot post a picture because I am a new member, but I am just hoping for some opinions on this if any of you have gone through it. I am going to get braces, for a second time, had them on as a teen and didn't wear retainers - stupid. I am 20 now, my teeth have shifted quite a bit and I am left with an overjet, I am in the middle of consultations right now and a dentist has advised me to get my wisdom teeth out to create space to push my upper teeth back. The thing I am worried about is how it might affect facial profile (read all the stories online), also I already had 4 premolars extracted for my first round of braces so I am just scared that this may be a bit too much? Anyway, if any of you have had wisdom teeth extracted to improve an overjet or for braces, it would be great to hear your experience! Thank you!

MonaLisa

Re: Wisdom teeth extraction for overjet?

#2 Post by MonaLisa »

How many mm of an overjet do you have?

iibra001

#3 Post by iibra001 »

[quote="MonaLisa"]How many mm of an overjet do you have?[/quote]
Hi, sorry for the late reply, my overjet is 5mm. My dentist recommended IPR between teeth and I chose that because I'm kind of terrified of the extractions, especially with deeply impacted lower wisdom teeth. I am due to get braced on March 3rd. However, I am kind of re-thinking now because I don't want to regret the result at the end of treatment if IPR does not do enough for me. Just very confused atm.

janedoe

#4 Post by janedoe »

I also have an overjet and only one wisdom tooth (I was born without the other 3). My orthodontist also recommended that I get IPR instead of extracting any additional teeth. He did suggest I remove my wisdom tooth when I get the chance but that it will not impact my treatment.

iibra001

#5 Post by iibra001 »

[quote="janedoe"]I also have an overjet and only one wisdom tooth (I was born without the other 3). My orthodontist also recommended that I get IPR instead of extracting any additional teeth. He did suggest I remove my wisdom tooth when I get the chance but that it will not impact my treatment.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, if you don't mind me asking how much mm is your overjet, and has your dentist said how much it would reduce by with IPR?

janedoe

#6 Post by janedoe »

You're welcome and I'm sorry I don't remember the exact amount. I'd attach a picture but I don't have the privilege yet either.

gglass

#7 Post by gglass »

Extraction of wisdom teeth for anterior tooth retraction.... RUN to a second opinion