braces and celiac!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

1398Days

braces and celiac!

#1 Post by 1398Days »

I'm going for my first consultation on Tuesday! I'm very excited, but also slightly nervous because I have celiac. I doubt they're gonna do impressions or anything besides x-rays at the appointment, but I know they will eventually. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with impressions or even the glue they use for the brackets containing gluten? It seems unlikely but I've been quite surprised by the number of things gluten is in (I'm still fairly new to being gluten free as well)! Of course I'll ask the orthodontist about it but I'm just curious if anyone has been 'glutened' by the impression material or anything. Same goes for cleanings at the dentist.. I'm also getting my teeth cleaned on Wednesday so nervous about that too. Any help would be appreciated :)

ItsFreyja

Re: braces and celiac!

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Congrats on starting your braces journey. I'm not aware of any gluten-containing components of traditional orthodontics, but this will really be a question for the ortho since there are a ton of different brands of everything. I'm sure any ortho would be happy to show you the list of ingredients on his jar of alginate powder.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

As a celiac, you need not fear gluten unless you digest it. Even if gluten were to be present in trace amounts in one or more of the products the ortho uses, it would not harm you by merely being present in your mouth for a short time and spit out.

ChewyBacca

#4 Post by ChewyBacca »

Hi

I think they use alginate normally, not gluten. Does no harm to ask though. Also, as others have said, you won't be ingesting it, so you should be fine in any event.

40withbracesUK

#5 Post by 40withbracesUK »

I'm a coeliac too and it never even occurred to me. I guess it would depend on your sensitivity to gluten, whether there is any present and if you ingest any or not...