Help to identify the name of the ties by the photo

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fandorin

Help to identify the name of the ties by the photo

#1 Post by Fandorin »

Hello,

I'm a braces wearing person from Europe currently an exchange student in the US. Unfortunately, I have ceramic brackets on the lower jaw and one of my teeth has already been chipped by a collusion. To prevent further destruction, I am using this:

https://www.smile-dental.de/images/stor ... 3_0441.jpg

I have only a few left and they don't last more than a week or so.

Question: How on earth do you call them in English? I tried my best in various orthodontic online shops but had no luck.

Your help is very appreciated.

metalliKa

Re: Help to identify the name of the ties by the photo

#2 Post by metalliKa »

You mean the gray ties? They're ligatures. And I don't think you can just purchase them, I don't think. You need to see an ortho for those. I could be wrong. Hopefully, someone will be more helpful.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Fandorin

#3 Post by Fandorin »

Note, that they aren't just ligatures but have little "pillows" on them to prevent the tooth from colliding with the bracket.

I am certain one can buy them (and pretty much any piece of orthodontic equipment) online in specialized stores. In Germany, it costs 20 euros for 100 ties. If only I knew by what name they go in English.

jfriend33

#4 Post by jfriend33 »

I have never seen these before. I will have to show these to my doc!

Why dont you call a local ortho and get some bite turbos installed? Either that or a bite plate.

Just out of curiosity how long are you here for? How often do you go back? I would get the chip fixed on your tooth asap with composite too. Shouldnt be that expensive here.

Look for a teaching school if you have to. Believe me, worse things have happened. Shame on your ortho for not addressing this or even setting you up with a plan in case something like this would happen!!!!

metalliKa

#5 Post by metalliKa »

Fandorin wrote:Note, that they aren't just ligatures but have little "pillows" on them to prevent the tooth from colliding with the bracket.

I am certain one can buy them (and pretty much any piece of orthodontic equipment) online in specialized stores. In Germany, it costs 20 euros for 100 ties. If only I knew by what name they go in English.
I see the little pillows now that you pointed them out. And like JFriend said, I have never seen those here. So it's probably best to contact a local ortho in your area. By chance your family could ship some from back home? Shipment could be expensive but worth the cost of saving your up from colliding with the bottom of none found here in the US.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

iob

#6 Post by iob »

Hi - My ortho used those for the same purpose. I just referred to them as bumpers, but if you search for "elastomeric ligatures with guard," you should get the search results that you're looking for.

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

Really, you should just call orthodontists in the area you are in and see if they'll put some on for you. Just go during school hours (so the office won't be busy) and it should be fine.

I was on travel once and one of my brackets popped off; one of the people who I was working with that was local gave me the address of the ortho her kids' saw, and he clipped the wire and scraped off the cement for me for free.

newbite

#8 Post by newbite »

I agree with sirwired. You need to have them installed at an ortho office. I had these bumpers at the beginning of my treatment and they had no problem staying on because the tech installed them behind my wire. I assume you're just slipping them over on the outside?

I had one set on for the full time between adjustments, about a month each. They do get squashed and less effective eventually so you do need to have them changed out.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351