Anyone have Nickel-Free braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorion11

Anyone have Nickel-Free braces?

#1 Post by Lorion11 »

One of the main reasons I was undecided about braces was my extreme allergy to nickel. The first ortho I saw said saliva would protect me from my nickel allergy. I found this to be too convenient...when pressed, the ortho couldn't give me another solution.

Curious if anyone went the nickel-free route?

I did a little digging and the wires seem to always have nickel..

newbite

Re: Anyone have Nickel-Free braces?

#2 Post by newbite »

How about Invisalign?
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

Lorion11

#3 Post by Lorion11 »

That's what I think I'm going to do...I was just curious if anyone had Nickel-Free braces as of now.

metalliKa

#4 Post by metalliKa »

I'm not how severe your reaction gets, but I have a metal allergy and I have full metal braces and 9 months in, I haven't had a break out. The metal use in orthodontic is of high quality so there may be less of a reaction.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Felina Grimm

#5 Post by Felina Grimm »

I have a nickel allergy and have metal braces with no issues.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Prometheus

#6 Post by Prometheus »

Nickel allergies can be quite severe in some folks and is a serious matter. However you can get ceramic or man-made sapphire brackets and use nickel free arch wires. There are several suppliers of nickel free orthodontic materials, see for example:

http://www.acmemonaco1.com/archwires/ni ... earch.html

It may be another matter to find a doc who is familiar with them and uses them. A few phone calls to several orthodontist's offices may help you find one. It's probably worth investigating a bit more before opting for Invisalign, I had a poor outcome with it and needed "do-over" using conventional brackets and arch wires six years later.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

tchrjo

#7 Post by tchrjo »

I am severely allergic to nickel as well and am about to get Radiance Brackets that are completely nickel free. http://www.americanortho.com/radiance.html

lilyflower

#8 Post by lilyflower »

Lorion11 wrote:One of the main reasons I was undecided about braces was my extreme allergy to nickel. The first ortho I saw said saliva would protect me from my nickel allergy. I found this to be too convenient...when pressed, the ortho couldn't give me another solution.

Curious if anyone went the nickel-free route?

I did a little digging and the wires seem to always have nickel..
I have a nickel allergy and went Invisalign. Thankfully no allergies to plastic for me
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

Mufti

#9 Post by Mufti »

I have nickel free braces, the traditional kind. For peace of mind I would really recommend it, reactions are rare when it comes to nickel in orthodontics but they do exist and it can be severe in some cases.

Mufti

#10 Post by Mufti »

Oh, and there are nickel free wires out there. You might have to start out with a thicker wire than normal and depending on your case the ortho might choose not to put the wire in to all your brackets and have it "hanging" from the ligs to reduce pressure in the beginning.

Beetles

#11 Post by Beetles »

Hey,
I also have a nickel allergy. I get itchy, red with a rash and slight hives, but I would not consider it an extreme reaction. I usually get reactions from cheap jewellery, and metal frames from the optometrist (I can only wear plastic frames).

I told my orthodontist this, and he got me titanium braces from the beginning. It didn't cost me any extra, and I haven't had any issues with my braces.

P.s. I have read somewhere that people with nickel allergies, even slight allergies, can experience worse allergy reactions by the time they finish their orthodontic braces. But you'll need to investigate for the latest research evidence on this topic.

Len

#12 Post by Len »

I have a huuuge allergy to nickel at the point when I can't wear even gold if it doesn't reach a specific kind of purety but I'm having the normal kind of braces and the only problem I have is the little scratches my braces make seem to heal slower than normal people say they do... I don't even k now if that's anything to do with it or just a coincidence though. I was concerned for a bit because my lymphatic glands were a bit swollen on the throat area at the first week but it seems like it was just because my scratches got infected and it went down when I took meds and never came back again.