Zap type pains

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leelou905

Zap type pains

#1 Post by leelou905 »

Does anyone know if this is normal? Have got zap/sharp type pains in back lower molars. At first they were just cold sensitive, noticed the sensitivity increased once they'd been adjusted, and then sweet sensitivity started which progressed to chewing and pressure pain.
I have been dentist, he's tried to reassure that it's the braces, but I haven't been able to see my orthodontist yet to fully confirm.

Is this normal? I thought brace pain was limited to aching only! The zap type pains come and go when they please now, although sweet and cold do aggravate unless I'm careful.
26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

djspeece

Re: Zap type pains

#2 Post by djspeece »

The joy of braces isn't limited to only aching. I've had changes in sensitivities too, especially cold and sweets (the latter was particularly annoying given my chocolate issues). Good move to see your dentist to verify that the teeth are OK. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Geostrophic

#3 Post by Geostrophic »

I just passed a month of having top braces. Bottoms next month. I've had some pains like that too. It's nothing that hurts a lot, but it's fast and gets my attention.

...your looking to make sure you're not alone has made me feel better about not being alone too. Thanks!

I too went to my dentist and she told me things look fine.
Estimated 16-22 months in braces (off March 2017 - September 2017)
Elastics start May 2016 - August 2016

leelou905

#4 Post by leelou905 »

Thanks guys this has reassured me somewhat. I have had these zappy pains for the last month now, since just before my adjustment, and thought they would of settled by now, but I guess not!

I see my ortho in the first week of Jan, so will definitely know what's going off by then.

Very glad to see I'm not on my own.
26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

leelou905

#5 Post by leelou905 »

djspeece wrote:The joy of braces isn't limited to only aching. I've had changes in sensitivities too, especially cold and sweets (the latter was particularly annoying given my chocolate issues). Good move to see your dentist to verify that the teeth are OK. Best of luck to you.

Can I ask, do you still have sensitivity? I saw my orthodontist today, neither good or bad news on the zapping pains.

I recently discovered that these molars are also sensitive to extremely hot things too, he said that would suggest something going on with the nerve, however, he said as long as the pain is short lived and my teeth are more cold sensitive than hot then that's ok.

They are still sensitive to cold, and sensitive to sweet. He thinks something is exposed, but that it's not the braces causing the sensitivity.

What did your ortho say about your sweet sensitivity? Is it your braces causing it? Mine seems to think it isn't the case. I've come out feeling more confused and depressed than I was before :( kinda wish I never got braces now.

newbite

#6 Post by newbite »

It's extremely unlikely that the nerves are dying in multiple teeth (which is the worst case scenario you're afraid of, right?). I had the same zappy pains at times after severe adjustments. They were just normal responses. It was scary sometimes, the ferocity of the pain (like when my front teeth were moving, flossing between them was impossible the pain was so bad and my electric toothbrush made me feel like I was electrocuting myself-- a manual toothbrush was barely tolerable.)

HOWEVER, shortly after being debraced I started having REAL nerve-dying zappy pains in one specific tooth. The difference was it was always the one tooth and the zappy pains happened predictably, whereas they happened on random teeth and at random times in braces. I'm having a root canal on the 18th! :paperbag:

So, as long as your pains are random and move around your mouth you're probably ok (especially since your dentist says so). You DO need to be concerned when the pain is always in one tooth/area and always painfully responds to normal stimuli. Then, get ye to an endodontist, and quick! Dying teeth can quickly become dead teeth which can quickly become abscessed teeth, which is dangerous for your health.

One final thing. I noticed that, as my tooth is dying the past few weeks, my pain is becoming more diffuse (less zappy) and is expanding beyond just pain on biting and cold to also include hot and sweet. In my case this is BAD and indicating the tooth death is progressing.

If this sounds like what's happening to you, if you can afford it you really should see an endodontist. Your ortho or dentist won't know as much or have the equipment to evaluate your teeth.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

leelou905

#7 Post by leelou905 »

newbite wrote:It's extremely unlikely that the nerves are dying in multiple teeth (which is the worst case scenario you're afraid of, right?). I had the same zappy pains at times after severe adjustments. They were just normal responses. It was scary sometimes, the ferocity of the pain (like when my front teeth were moving, flossing between them was impossible the pain was so bad and my electric toothbrush made me feel like I was electrocuting myself-- a manual toothbrush was barely tolerable.)

HOWEVER, shortly after being debraced I started having REAL nerve-dying zappy pains in one specific tooth. The difference was it was always the one tooth and the zappy pains happened predictably, whereas they happened on random teeth and at random times in braces. I'm having a root canal on the 18th! :paperbag:

So, as long as your pains are random and move around your mouth you're probably ok (especially since your dentist says so). You DO need to be concerned when the pain is always in one tooth/area and always painfully responds to normal stimuli. Then, get ye to an endodontist, and quick! Dying teeth can quickly become dead teeth which can quickly become abscessed teeth, which is dangerous for your health.

One final thing. I noticed that, as my tooth is dying the past few weeks, my pain is becoming more diffuse (less zappy) and is expanding beyond just pain on biting and cold to also include hot and sweet. In my case this is BAD and indicating the tooth death is progressing.

If this sounds like what's happening to you, if you can afford it you really should see an endodontist. Your ortho or dentist won't know as much or have the equipment to evaluate your teeth.

Hello thanks for getting back to me and being so informative.

The pains come in one specific area, lower left two molars, the pain tends to hop and jump between the teeth and I can't always recreate the pain, this is especially true for sweet things. If I were to swish a very cold glass of water, chances are it would zap my tooth. If it were room temperature, then it's 50:50.

It comes and goes, sometimes air causes it to zap, it very much takes me by surprise.

The pain is not severe, I can live with it. It's very short lived.

I'm sorry you're having to go through a root canal, this is my most feared procedure, and I think my anxiety would go through the roof if I had to have this done.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

I will watch these teeth, ortho told me that as long as it's more cold sensitive than hot, then that's a good thing and he isn't concerned. (I've had zap pains with very hot food once or twice, but very short lived type pains) let's hope for the best!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

leelou905 wrote:
djspeece wrote:The joy of braces isn't limited to only aching. I've had changes in sensitivities too, especially cold and sweets (the latter was particularly annoying given my chocolate issues). Good move to see your dentist to verify that the teeth are OK. Best of luck to you.

Can I ask, do you still have sensitivity? I saw my orthodontist today, neither good or bad news on the zapping pains.

I recently discovered that these molars are also sensitive to extremely hot things too, he said that would suggest something going on with the nerve, however, he said as long as the pain is short lived and my teeth are more cold sensitive than hot then that's ok.

They are still sensitive to cold, and sensitive to sweet. He thinks something is exposed, but that it's not the braces causing the sensitivity.

What did your ortho say about your sweet sensitivity? Is it your braces causing it? Mine seems to think it isn't the case. I've come out feeling more confused and depressed than I was before :( kinda wish I never got braces now.
I didn't specifically ask the ortho about the sweet sensitivity as it was intermittent, and now that the braces are off I really don't have an issue with it. I still have the same cold sensitivity, but then I had that before braces. My dentist wants to do some bonding -- apparently applying a resin or polymer -- to the base of a few of those teeth since there is some gum recession, and I expect that will help. I think the worst pain I have ever endured was when a molar went south and needed a root canal years ago -- it was unbelievably bad, so I paid a lot of attention -- probably too much -- to the fleeting aches/pains/weird sensations I experienced while in braces. Long story short, I am back to baseline following debracing in October.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

leelou905

#9 Post by leelou905 »

djspeece wrote:
leelou905 wrote:

I didn't specifically ask the ortho about the sweet sensitivity as it was intermittent, and now that the braces are off I really don't have an issue with it. I still have the same cold sensitivity, but then I had that before braces. My dentist wants to do some bonding -- apparently applying a resin or polymer -- to the base of a few of those teeth since there is some gum recession, and I expect that will help. I think the worst pain I have ever endured was when a molar went south and needed a root canal years ago -- it was unbelievably bad, so I paid a lot of attention -- probably too much -- to the fleeting aches/pains/weird sensations I experienced while in braces. Long story short, I am back to baseline following debracing in October.

I assume your cold sensitivity is from gum recession then. My sweet sensitivity is also intermittent. I feel a little bit confused by it all though, I suppose I'd better wait and see what my molars do, no weird aches, or sensations just yet, just lots of zaps that like to hop back and forward between those teeth.

How exciting for your debracing this year though :) I have no idea when mine will be, I suspect another year from about June time, since I was told 24 months initially. Half of my teeth have straightened really well, the other half has needed extra wire ties.

Heres to hoping both our sensitivity issues go!

newbite

#10 Post by newbite »

leelou905 wrote: Hello thanks for getting back to me and being so informative.

The pains come in one specific area, lower left two molars, the pain tends to hop and jump between the teeth and I can't always recreate the pain, this is especially true for sweet things. If I were to swish a very cold glass of water, chances are it would zap my tooth. If it were room temperature, then it's 50:50.

It comes and goes, sometimes air causes it to zap, it very much takes me by surprise.

I'm sorry you're having to go through a root canal, this is my most feared procedure, and I think my anxiety would go through the roof if I had to have this done.

I will watch these teeth, ortho told me that as long as it's more cold sensitive than hot, then that's a good thing and he isn't concerned. (I've had zap pains with very hot food once or twice, but very short lived type pains) let's hope for the best!
Yeah I'd keep a close watch on them. It's so hard to know if it's the braces or something bad. Hopping pain between two specific teeth that are next to each other can be a bad sign. BUT it's a good sign the pain is super short and is not predictable. If the pain ever becomes predictable-- happening at all cold/hot/biting-- then you need to see an endodontist.

My anxiety IS through the roof about the root canal. If it was just a normal root canal I wouldn't be so worried, but there's a good chance my tooth is actually invisibly fractured below the gum line, meaning it would have to be extracted. They can't see anything, though, even with a 3D CT scan, so I'm taking a chance and getting the root canal.

The tooth is the second molar on the left. I had a deep, large filling in the tooth for almost 15 years (problem indicator #1). I've had pain on biting for 4 or 5 years, which started very sporadically (easily, and perilously, ignored) and grew a little until one day this November a cusp broke off while eating a veggie burger (of all things!). While still in braces. I was SO freaked out. Pain on biting is a good indication of fracture, and having a cusp break off is an obvious sign of fracture. The question is, does the fracture extend below the gum line. We'll see, if the root canal fails!

I also get very bad TMD after novicaine to my lower jaw (you know, where they inject it right into the joint???) and holding my mouth open for hours---far worse pain than from any procedure itself-- so that's what I'm REALLY freaking out about. The novicaine. I'm going to have conscious sedation (Halcion) for the root canal in hopes that I'll be so out of it my jaw will relax enough that I won't get bad TMD after. It seemed to work for my gum graft, so we'll see.

From most things I hear, the root canal procedure itself is NOT that bad (depending on your endodontist). The worst part is not knowing if it's going to work or if they actually cleaned out the tooth well enough. I've been seriously considering just having the tooth pulled and an implant placed. That's what I'm doing if the root canal fails.

Oh, and I'm in this mess because I brux-- mainly clenching but before braces I would also grind my teeth. That poor molar took the brunt of it because of my malocclusion.

Anyway, keep a super close eye on your teeth! And if you DO brux or have large restorations in those teeth you may want to see an endodontist to avoid going down my road.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

leelou905

#11 Post by leelou905 »

newbite wrote:
leelou905 wrote: Hello thanks for getting back to me and being so informative.

Yeah I'd keep a close watch on them. It's so hard to know if it's the braces or something bad. Hopping pain between two specific teeth that are next to each other can be a bad sign. BUT it's a good sign the pain is super short and is not predictable. If the pain ever becomes predictable-- happening at all cold/hot/biting-- then you need to see an endodontist.

My anxiety IS through the roof about the root canal. If it was just a normal root canal I wouldn't be so worried, but there's a good chance my tooth is actually invisibly fractured below the gum line, meaning it would have to be extracted. They can't see anything, though, even with a 3D CT scan, so I'm taking a chance and getting the root canal.

The tooth is the second molar on the left. I had a deep, large filling in the tooth for almost 15 years (problem indicator #1). I've had pain on biting for 4 or 5 years, which started very sporadically (easily, and perilously, ignored) and grew a little until one day this November a cusp broke off while eating a veggie burger (of all things!). While still in braces. I was SO freaked out. Pain on biting is a good indication of fracture, and having a cusp break off is an obvious sign of fracture. The question is, does the fracture extend below the gum line. We'll see, if the root canal fails!

I also get very bad TMD after novicaine to my lower jaw (you know, where they inject it right into the joint???) and holding my mouth open for hours---far worse pain than from any procedure itself-- so that's what I'm REALLY freaking out about. The novicaine. I'm going to have conscious sedation (Halcion) for the root canal in hopes that I'll be so out of it my jaw will relax enough that I won't get bad TMD after. It seemed to work for my gum graft, so we'll see.

From most things I hear, the root canal procedure itself is NOT that bad (depending on your endodontist). The worst part is not knowing if it's going to work or if they actually cleaned out the tooth well enough. I've been seriously considering just having the tooth pulled and an implant placed. That's what I'm doing if the root canal fails.

Oh, and I'm in this mess because I brux-- mainly clenching but before braces I would also grind my teeth. That poor molar took the brunt of it because of my malocclusion.

Anyway, keep a super close eye on your teeth! And if you DO brux or have large restorations in those teeth you may want to see an endodontist to avoid going down my road.

Sounds like you've had to deal with a lot with that tooth, I also have a deep filling in my molar too, it's actually the one that's gone sensitive. I do actually grind my teeth since getting braces, but I never did before (or not that I noticed anyway) so I can fully sympathise with you on the TMD part, I get it quite bad now since my braces are moving my bite everywhere.

I'm from the UK and I don't think we have endodontists here, specifically. We just have our dentist normally perform the root canals. Although I'm sure there are specialists in the area, it's probably not covered by the national health service.

The only good news I have so far, is that since my adjustment, I've had no sensitivity, and have even tried provoking it and nothing... So I hope this is a good sign, or my tooth is dead :lol: oh well, I suppose they are just teeth after all, much more important things in life to worry over.

Good luck with your root canal, I hope all goes well :)