My braces keep hurting me, how can I make them stop?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thedogueen

My braces keep hurting me, how can I make them stop?

#1 Post by thedogueen »

I just got my braces, and now I have a terrible toothache. Also, the wire wasn't cut properly but it keeps poking through my wax. I can't go to my orthodontist because they're closed for the weekend. Help!

ItsFreyja

Re: My braces keep hurting me, how can I make them stop?

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Soreness from your braces is quite normal, unfortunately. Take ibuprofen if you can and stick to soft foods that don't hurt to chew. It will be better in a few days. Poking wires are a pain you shouldn't have to put up with, though, so I hope you can get them cut first thing Monday morning. In the meantime, keep using the wax, and if you're really desperate, see if a friend can trim the wires with fingernail clippers while you hold your cheek out of the way!

metalliKa

#3 Post by metalliKa »

Before Monday comes, take some pain medication. Also, I heard that ear plug silicone rubber works better than wax for braces irritation.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Stellla

#4 Post by Stellla »

I got my bottom braces a month ago and the first week was pretty rough ! After 4-5 days I thought the pain would never stop but after about a week it really got back to normal and I stopped using wax and the braces, wire and hooks didn't irritate the inside of my mouth anymore. I know it's hard the first days but don't worry you'll be fine soon !