Your thoughts

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dannyc77

Re: Your thoughts

#46 Post by dannyc77 »

Metal braces on upper arch 10 days ago! Usual issues with a bit of pain but not too bad
I'm told my top lip hides the brace a lot. Not been to work yet as I have been on paternity leave for 2 weeks, so not especially looking forward to seeing everyone and all my students but going to get on with it now. I did find myself avoiding people I know but think I am getting a bit more confident with it on.
Happy with the treatment I am getting, I think I am still on the list to meet with the orthognathic surgeon and previous patients but I feel unsure about getting surgery as stated in an earlier post.
Im told that I will just have an upper brace for the next 2/3 ortho visits, and then two TAD's and a sectional brace on the front bottom teeth

Good luck everybody!

shortcircuit

#47 Post by shortcircuit »

Glad to hear you're moving ahead with it, you could also make a game out of seeing how many people actually notice you wearing braces at all.

Best of luck, hope everything goes smoothly :thumbsup:

dannyc77

#48 Post by dannyc77 »

So I'm nearly a month of wearing the metal braces on my upper teeth, so thought I would update for anyone thinking about doing this!

Mostly been OK, I'm back at work and been out a couple of times to meet friends

A couple of comments from the kids (I mean my students, I'm a teacher) then they move on really quickly. Nobody has said anything at work at all, I actually would prefer if they made some sort of joke or comment in a way! There has been times when I have questioned why I am doing this, brushing my teeth at work after every meal has at sometimes been a bit of a drag, and I have to admit meeting some people I have felt a bit self conscious with them on but this feeling generally passes. My top lip mostly hides the brace so it isnt immediately apparent. (BTW this is one of the things the surgeon suggested to rectify if I had the surgery: ie if I need lower jaw to correct my bite, he said he would plan for upper jaw surgery too in order to show more teeth: i suppose this would be a cosmetic treatment but he believes that it has less risk in terms of numbness than lower jaw for me.)

So mostly so far my braces experience has been OK! I think I can see a little bit of movement now on my canines (?), they look a little less like "fangs" which helps!

So to anyone considering this don't worry about what anyone else thinks, if you want to do this for yourself go for it!

tmazz

#49 Post by tmazz »

How's the progress going for you now?

dannyc77

#50 Post by dannyc77 »

My teeth seems to have moved loads! Hope they are not going too quick! I posted some photos a couple of weeks ago under a topic called "Teeth at 8 weeks" I think its called. Teeth occasionally painful but not too bad really
There are two ways to correct my teeth: surgery or camouflage the overbite, extractions etc, and Im not sure yet what to decide on. The surgery option is hardcore! and Im concerned about permanent numbness due to my age
My top lip seems thinner as my top teeth get straighter which is something I've noticed recently
Mostly not too bad overall!