To newbies worried if people will notice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

To newbies worried if people will notice

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Yesterday a girl who I've had classes with since May, said to me, "oh did you get your braces off?"

"Yeah... A while ago. In July." Hahah. We both laughed and she said, "oh well I never noticed."

Yup, that's right.

Moral of the story: people don't notice things when it comes to your teeth, so don't be stressing. Take the plunge, it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

:)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

NeilH

Re: To newbies worried if people will notice

#2 Post by NeilH »

I can second that.. people either don't notice or more likely don't care at all. You might think everyone shares the same interest in your orthodontic adventure as you do but sadly they do not. I recently had someone very vaguely bring it up in conversation, I have had them on for over two years and we see each other pretty much weekly!

dejavu

#3 Post by dejavu »

I got mine a month ago and that hasn't been my experience...almost everybody I know has commented in fact, usually with a, "Whoa that's weird! I'm gonna have to get used to that!"

It's not so bad though. While some have judged me for getting them because "your teeth were fine!" others have been very nice about it.

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

Its so true that nobody notices, i have dozens of coworkers, none have noticed or if they have, actually cared enough to mention it
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Collie

#5 Post by Collie »

Thanks for this :) I work in a job that requires a lot of talking so I go back and forth on getting braces but then I realize--WHO CARES! if people even notice, they won't care. They're just braces. tons of people have them.

Lauradarlin

#6 Post by Lauradarlin »

Collie wrote:Thanks for this :) I work in a job that requires a lot of talking so I go back and forth on getting braces but then I realize--WHO CARES! if people even notice, they won't care. They're just braces. tons of people have them.

Hi Collie, I felt exactly the same as you as I also spend a lot of time talking to people face to face, but I finally went for it. For the first few days I was convinced everyone was looking at my mouth but I'm over it now. Like you said, even if they do notice, so what?! It's hardly like we're the first people to fix our teeth! Good luck :)

teeebeee

#7 Post by teeebeee »

I've been known to force people to be fascinated! :wink:

T xx

Gerbera

#8 Post by Gerbera »

Nope, no one cares........ annoyingly! :)

I was so impressed with how much my teeth had changed after my first adjustment at four weeks, I tried to show my mum. She just mumbled something about needing her glasses and walked off!

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

Totally agree that people don't notice!

My (formerly) terrible teeth were something that always bothered me and I wanted to get braces for 15 years before I got them. But I still never noticed others with braces! An acquaintance literally had them for a year before I noticed (we saw each other weekly). And now I work in an office of 6 people and my boss got braces recently. I rarely notice and sometimes I forget he has them...and I just had jaw surgery, so I am always staring at people's teeth!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

metalliKa

#10 Post by metalliKa »

Prebraces, I did notice people with braces on because gosh darn it, I wanted braces too! And honestly, people do notice, but it's becoming an everyday sight so it's not a big deal or shock to see an adult with braces on.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Featheryy1221

#11 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Haha I just think its funny that here I spent over $6000 on my teeth and it took forever for some people to notice. Lol.

Yes, it's worth every penny. But man, I was expecting people who saw me in braces to notice they were off. (Majority did, but I still get some clueless people. Lol).

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

mapleleafman888

#12 Post by mapleleafman888 »

teeebeee wrote:I've been known to force people to be fascinated! :wink:

T xx
Hahaha! I did the same thing. Was proud to have them and would bring it up sometimes if people didn't notice. Lol
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

bb2015

#13 Post by bb2015 »

Yes its so true that nobody notices,3 week in and none have noticed or if they have none have cared enough to mention it. I think as Adult with braces it not like teens with braces :-)